Lagos, Lagos, Nigeria
Lagos, Lagos, Nigeria
Skills: HSE Manager / Advisor
Experience: 15 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Employment Type: Full Time Contractor
Location: Lagos, Lagos, Nigeria
No location/work authorization restrictions found.
The Construction HSE Manager will monitor implementation of the project HSE management system at site. He is responsible for supporting project management during the execution phases of the project and to provide assistance to them in the interpretation and application of HSE legislation, Dangote Group Standards as well as international standards applicable to the project by development of project specific management plans. He will report to the Construction Project Director.
- Qualification: Bachelor's Degree or equivalent in science, engineering or environmental related disciplines, Advance degree preferred. Member of an internationally recognized environmental/ safety / health professional body preferred (e.g. IOSH, CMIOSH advantageous) - charted Health and Safety practitioner preferred.
- Experience: 15+ year's operational experience in heavy Engineering Construction or oil & gas Manufacturing Industry and / or chemical (Preferred) including relevant project site operational experience in emerging countries.
- Demonstrated experience in the applications of HSE management systems. Proven experience in the supervision/ management of professional administrated staff.
- Track record in influencing positive organizational change inside organization.
- Development and implementation of integrated Management system according to International standards e.g ISO 14001, ISO 45002,etc.
- Develop, review and update Project HSE plans and SOPs;
- Prepare, regularly review and distribute Project HSE Plan as well as SOPs for Construction;
- Monitor changes to HSE legislation and report these to the Project teams;
- Work with the Project management in defining HSE targets and relevant leading and lagging HSE KPIs and monitor progress of Project in achieving targets;
- Provide advice to Project management, enhancing awareness of HSE issues likely to have material HSE risks to the Project;
- Assist in identifying training needs and provide relevant training interventions;
- Attend training and have competent understanding of Project HSE Requirements;
- Contribute to the embedding of a culture of compliance and ethical behavior in the Project through toolbox talks, inductions and other site meetings;
- Ensure the conduct of regular site HSE inspections to monitor compliance to HSE legislation /standards;
- Ensure HSE audits are conducted in line with Audits Plan and the Project requirements and corrective actions required are implemented in a timely manner;
- Research and share relevant information with stakeholders on global best practice;
- Implement a system for retention, disposition, and control of HSE documents;
- Supervise and support contractors in improving their own safety management arrangements on site.
- Coordinating the project HSE activities performed by the various Departments/ Functions;
- Coordinate and supervise the activities of site HSE personnel;
- Review and improve the Project HSE Management System at site;
- Participate in risk assessments;
- Promote the implementation of the toolbox and job safety analysis process throughout the workforce;
- Participate in the development of operative and emergency procedures;
- Assist in the co-ordination of emergency response situations;
- Assist in the investigation of accidents, incidents and near misses in conformance
- with Company as well as local authority requirements;
- Ensure effective dissemination of Lateral Learning from past incidents across the Entire Company and Sub-contractors
- Attend relevant project and stakeholder's meeting as required
- Prepare required HSE reports
KEY SKILLS REQUIRED.
- Excellent technical capabilities as well as a strong knowledge of Construction HSE.
- Very good working knowledge of applicable HSE legislation, occupational health & safety and environmental hazards identification and risk assessment, occupational health and safety and environment accident and illness prevention and protection techniques and international standards
- Possess the style of clear and effective communication, both oral and written. Very good level of cross cultural communicational skills including public relations, negotiation liaison, mentoring, information sharing and conflict resolution.
- Be able to differentiate between negligible H&S issues of possible material impact and escalation triggers. Know when and how to involve appropriate and legal and technical personnel within and outside the company to address such issues
- Have skill and attitude to act in proactive manner to anticipate with problems and solve existing problems in the context of operational requirements and HSE regulatory constraints
- Able to listen to opinions , formulate recommendations in a confident and constructive manner.
- Project Management , negotiation / dispute mitigations and presentation skills.
- Other Competences
- Competence Level
- Demonstrates Self Mastery Knowledge
- Displays Interpersonal Effectiveness Skill
- Demonstrates Courage Skill
- Motivates, Coaches and Develops Skill
- Delivers Results Through Others Skill
- Analyses and solves problems Knowledge
- Communicates and persuades Skill
- Uses computer and communications systems Knowledge
- Team working Knowledge
- Manages business performance Awareness
- Works and embeds change Knowledge
- Stakeholder engagement Knowledge
- HSSE Leadership and Commitment Mastery
- HSSE Policy and Strategic Objectives Skill
- Org, Responsibility, Resource & Requirements Knowledge
- HSSE Risk Management Framework Mastery
- HEMP for Significant Risks / HSE Cases Knowledge
- Emergency Response Knowledge
- Safe Systems of Work / Personal Safety Knowledge
- Integrate HSSE in Business Plans & Procedures Knowledge
- HSSE Performance Management Knowledge
- Incident Investigation and Reporting Mastery
- HSSE Audit Knowledge
- HSSE Management Review Knowledge