Skills: QA / QC / Inspection, Welding
Experience: 5 + Years
Education: Tech/Vocational Cert/Apprenticeship
Employment Type: Full Time Contractor
Location: Heidelberg, Pennsylvania, United States
In order to apply for this position, applicants MUST meet the following criteria. If your resume does not match these criteria, you will not be able to apply for this position.
Authorized to work in: US
~~Intertek is a leading Total Quality Assurance provider to industries worldwide. Our network of more than 1,000 laboratories and offices and over 43,000 people in more than 100 countries, delivers innovative and bespoke Assurance, Testing, Inspection and Certification solutions for our customers' operations and supply chains. Intertek Total Quality Assurance expertise, delivered consistently with precision, pace and passion, enabling our customers to power ahead safely.
This request is for future work in the Pittsburgh area. Candidates should be local to these areas.
No telephone calls please.
The Inspector will support the client business by performing inspections at existing job sites to ensure compliance with installation standards, per individual component specifications based on testing and evaluations conducted by Intertek.
•Perform inspections to ensure compliance
•Record the details
•Document corrective actions to assemblies
•Issue reports to office detailing results of inspections
•Keep all information confidential to each client
The Certified Welding Inspector (CWI) is the Company's authorized representative and is to inspect and ensure that proper welding and radiographic procedures are qualified and utilized, the radiographers used are certified, the welders are qualified, sound welds are produced, ensure safety & regulatory compliance and proper documentation is maintained. These activities must be performed in accordance with the appropriate Company specifications approved by a welding specialist in the Facilities and Pipeline Engineering group. The CWI will visually observe welding activities to ensure all aspects of welding are being done in accordance with the project specifications and requirements, including the qualification of welding procedures & welders and monitoring of the actual field welding of pipelines and related facilities.
Diploma/certification as a technologist or technician in a related field; University Degree considered an asset; must maintain CWI certification through AWS
Certified Welding Inspector responsibilities shall include:
Continuously inspect the Contractor's workmanship and ensure conformance to Company specifications.
· Ensure compliance with all project specific environmental requirements as outlined within the project Environmental Construction Plan and/or as directed by the project Environmental Inspector.
· Ensure Contractor compliance with the minimum safety standards as outlined within the U.S. Contractor Safety Handbook [to be used when the Company is directing the Contractor's work] or the Contractor Safety Requirements [the minimum standard to be used to ensure a Prime or a General Contractor's own safety plan and the Site Specific Safety Plan (SSSP) are adequate].
· Review and become familiar with the construction drawings and Company welding specifications.
· Ensure that all proposed design changes or material substitutions are discussed and approved by the Chief Inspector and that proper Company approval is obtained prior to proceeding with the work.
· Plan and organize inspection duties in advance with the Chief Inspector and assist them in coordinating the radiographic crew's activities with the Contractor's project schedule to effectively manage cost and anticipate production weld problems.
· Verify the qualification of all contract welders, by either witnessing their qualification test or verifying that the welder is currently qualified by the company and properly recorded in the assigned Company designated Welding Engineering Specialist's records. All initial and/or retest contract welder qualification reports must be filed with and deemed current by the assigned Company designated Welding Engineering Specialist, prior to allowing the welder to weld on any company project. Make sure that all contract welders weld only within their qualifications. (A contract welding inspector is not required to qualify or verify the qualification of company welders.)
· Monitor the quality of welds being made and the quality of the radiographic inspection to ensure that sound welds are being made.
· Verify that each welder is making sound welds and is following the Company and/or otherwise approved welding procedure and specification on the job site. Monitor all of the welding procedure requirements periodically during welding, such as preheating, proper voltage and amperage ranges, welding direction, travel speed, etc.
· Verify all weld repairs made to correct defects in welds does sufficiently correct the defect and the finished weld satisfies the requirements as outlined by the appropriate codes and Company specifications.
· Ensure that the radiographer's certification is complete and correct; acceptable radiographic procedures are established; and the technician(s) has a copy of the Company specifications and is familiar with Company procedures, documentation and form completion. Ensure that proper documentation is maintained by the radiographic crew, including the disposition of each reject.
· Ensure the appropriate radiographic procedure is used (including developing and handling of film) and such procedure is producing acceptable radiographs with the image of the essential hole or wire of the penetrometer being clearly visible on each film. Also verify that the correct size, type and kind of penetrometer used for the diameter and wall thickness of the pipe weld being radiographed. Consult the Project Manager and/or assigned Company designated Welding Engineering Specialist for technical guidance or interpretation of company radiographic specifications.
· Verify that all welding materials (welding rods, pipe w.t., transitions pieces, etc.) used in the installation are in compliance with Company requirements and specifications, stored in accordance to the Company and manufacturer's specifications; and damaged materials are not used for any weld.
· Keep the Chief Inspector aware immediately of any daily problems or anticipated problems with the welding phase of the construction project. Make immediate notification of any unsafe issue or a specification or applicable code violation. Only the Chief Inspector has stop work authority.
· Ensure that radiographic film, NDT reports, radiographer's qualification reports, nondestructive testing weld examination reports, list of qualified welders' reports, and welding coupon test reports are labeled properly and/or filled out correctly and given to the Chief Inspector for proper distribution and review.
· Responsible for developing visual inspection procedures, providing inspection planning & scheduling, reviewing contract requirements and ensuring material compliance.
· May oversee CWI staff and monitor welding activity to ensure adherence to project specifications and requirements
~~We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against applicants due to veteran status or on the basis of disability. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
Intertek is one of the largest and most respected specialized staffing and outsourcing agencies operating in the engineering and technical services marketplace. Working closely with its clients, Intertek has played a critical role in staffing some of the most notable projects to have been designed, engineered, constructed and commissioned on all major continents.
Intertek’s competitive advantage lies in its unique ability to provide highly qualified personnel that clearly meet the client’s needs, expectations and site placement requirements. This is accomplished through a network of dedicated, proactive and strategic recruitment centers established in multiple geographic regions providing an impressive ability to identify, screen, hire and deploy not only expatriate resources but also local and regional expertise. This proficiency is not easily found in today's marketplace, thus positioning Intertek to contribute significant value to the client's local labor content and sustainable development initiatives.