Skills: Mechanical Engineering, Workover or Completion
Experience: 3 + Years
Education: Masters Degree
Location: Rosharon, Texas, United States
In order to apply for this position, applicants MUST meet the following criteria. If your resume does not match these criteria, you will not be able to apply for this position.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Apply principles of solid mechanics, packer performance envelope calculations, machining processes, and joining and assembly methods to the design of oilfield downhole packers and packer accessories for well completions. Apply principles of linear and non-linear finite element analysis (FEA) to the design of packers and packer element systems. Utilize Creo/ProE computer aided drafting (CAD) software to design and conceptualize packer parts and assemblies.
- Develop qualification test methodologies in accordance with ISO 14310 / API 11D1 as well as API 19OH for evaluation of packers and packer accessories to account for issues that include: thermal expansion, high temperature / high pressure environments, large fluctuations in pressure and temperature, cased-hole and open-hole environments, shock and vibration resistance, and setting and retrieval processes. Perform failure mode effects analysis (FMEA) methodology to assess the reliability of packer and element design as well as integration with existing completions systems and tools. Should be competent in setting up and running lab simulations.
- Selection of materials for use in high temperature, high pressure and corrosive fluid environments. Design of seals for use in high pressure, high temperature and corrosive fluid environments. Design test methodologies in accordance with ISO 23936-2 to assess reliability of various elastomers in typical oil and gas environments.
- Apply Design of Experiments methodology to optimize testing, and where necessary apply appropriate failure analysis techniques and data measurement techniques to efficiently determine root cause and mitigate unnecessary design iteration.
- Utilize ANSYS to perform finite element analysis for the verification of analytical analysis of the structural integrity of downhole packers and packer accessories at high pressure and high temperature. Including: Develop model and boundary conditions, generate high quality mesh, analyze stresses, strains (elastic and plastic), and deformations (axial and radial), and compare results against various packer performance factors and functions such as Burst/Collapse ratings, tension/compression ratings, O-ring squeeze (ballooning/reverse ballooning effects), and the dynamic interaction of parts.
- Utilize ABAQUS to perform non-linear finite element analysis for verification of packer element design and performance at high setting loads, high pressure differentials, high temperatures, high temperature fluctuations, and large deformations. Including: Develop model and boundary conditions, analyze stress and strain states for yield failures, analyze thermal expansion/contraction effects, analyze element performance when subjected to differential pressures above and below, and measure contact pressures / contact lengths on adjacent entities.
- Use analytical methods to generate and/or verify packers' performance ratings and performance operating envelopes. Including: Analyze various downhole operating scenarios and their effects on packer ratings (Unplugged, Isolated, Plugged, etc.); Analyze piston areas and the effects of pressure induced forces generated via differential pressure across the packer metallic and/or non-metallic components as well as the effects of combined loading (Burst/Collapse + Tension/Compression); Methodically determine and analyze the critical sections of all packer components in burst, collapse, tension and compression; Analyze strengths of unique packer components such as elements, slips, cones, ratchets, body lock rings, mandrels, pistons, and housings; Perform tolerance stack analyses to confirm interaction and function of both static and dynamic parts; Check cost-effectiveness of machine drawings using comparative software (aPriori); and Inspect machine drawings and machining tolerances as well as application of geometric dimensioning and tolerancing (GD&T).
- Perform product assembly and testing.
- Prepare process documentation for tool service and operation.
- Provide manufacturing engineering support in both a prototype and production setting.
- Provide technical support to manufacturing, field operations
- Select and evaluate mechanical components and materials.
- Validate product performance through laboratory and field testing.
- Detailed report preparation
- Collect and define key requirements for the new project, perform a risk assessment and carry out quotation of the new product considering engineering costs, product costs and other project costs with associated delivery time
- Successfully undertake technical projects: analyze, design, develop, maintain packer tools in agreement with project technical and timing objectives.
- Conduct technical reviews of requirements, specifications, designs. Ensure commitments are agreed, reviewed and met.
- Build prototypes, products and fixtures suitable for testing and set up and run lab simulations. Establish testing procedures, conduct tests, document test results, develop client reports, and presentations. Present solutions to clients.
- Create and maintain product documentation (requirements, specification, design, development, integration, test procedures and results) following the Product Lifecycle Management Process custom form of the project.
- Candidates must be able to legally work and reside in the US, without sponsorship
Qualifications and Experience:
- University Bachelor's or Master's Degree in Mechanical Engineering.
- Minimum 3+ years related work experience with Packers - Completions.
- Ability to author technical documents associated with the mechanical engineering process.
- Ability to plan scheduled tasks within guidelines set by senior personnel.
- Working knowledge of geometric dimensioning and tolerancing.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office products
- Familiarity with computer-aided design tools: CAD, FEA
- Has a hands-on approach to problem solving and design.
- Experience with basic metrology techniques.
- Must be able to legally work and reside in the US, without sponsorship
Schlumberger is an equal employment opportunity employer. Qualified applicants are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
Schlumberger is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor- priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
A tradition of excellence and innovation
We’re the world’s leading provider of integrated pore-to-pipeline technology solutions to the oil and gas industry. We’re also a leading employer in our sector—with a reputation for hiring the best and the brightest people and keeping them at the top of their game through rewarding career-long development opportunities.
Each day, in 85 countries, we help our customers find and produce oil and gas in ways that demonstrate respect for both people and the environment. Today’s industry challenges call for new ideas, techniques, and solutions. If you want to drive your career and want to grow with a company that’s embraced new ways of thinking since 1927, we may have the career for you.
Schlumberger is ranked in the Global Top 10 in Rigzone's Ideal Employer Rankings - find out more here.