Shell is looking for a Legal Counsel with knowledge and good skills relevant to major capital projects and related construction and fabrication activities, including claims management;Skills include;
Additional skills include;
- Some experience in dealing with complex contracts and the ability to apply local as well as English law concepts or strong ability to learn to do so; ability to learn and understand Texas contract and construction and maritime law, as well as a general working knowledge of Louisiana, NY and Delaware law and the ability to generally research necessary concepts within those jurisprudences as may be required to support the work
- Good commercial mindset and the ability to handle multiple demanding clients in a project environment which demands a quick and thoughtful legal touch across several legal disciplines
- The ability to work in a less well defined legal environment with clients who need and demand pragmatic legal advice and awareness and ability to seek more senior support at appropriate points
- Ability to draft well and to negotiate in a firm fashion, while building strong working relationships with contractor counsel regularly used by Shell
Under supervision of Managing Counsel;
- The ability to work in the pre-litigation space, handling potential disputes to resolution or positioning the matter for effective litigation
- Ability to help structure diverse and alternative options and think creatively
- Ability to handle complex and sensitive government and partner relations
- Ability to develop and sustain relationships with clients at all levels, as well as LS counter-parties
- Broad general grasp of legal issues under own and foreign legal systems and demonstrated capability of building up knowledge in particular areas of law, and operate independently
- Knowledge to identify critical legal risks
- A track record as a team player
- Strong knowledge of the Shell structure and the Shell Control Framework
- Good influencing, negotiating and facilitation skills
- Ability to work with both internal and external stakeholders with diverse cultural backgrounds
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Problem-solving, decision-making and drafting skills
- Strong level of business and legal acumen
- Ability to address issues creatively and sensitively and to build strong relationships across a range of organisations
- Ability to react positively to a wide range of challenges, including dispute resolution and work effectively to handle pre-litigation dispute resolution, including mediation
- Fluent written and spoken English skills, additional language skills in Spanish and Portuguese a plus
- Law degree and good standing in the Texas bar, with substantial years of experience as a licensed attorney in good standing and significant experience in construction or major project execution legal work experience
- Ability to work as part of a team and be a self-starter, with willingness and ability to undertake or assist in new areas of practice.
- The selected candidate will be expected to support substantial and complex construction and project matters, related to the delivery of offshore, DS projects, both Shell operated and non operated matters; with a focus on EPC type agreements, whether lump sum or cost reimbursable, as well as hybrid arrangements; This candidate will also help support claims initiatives and claims prevention and management for major onshore projects, as well as IG gas projects. The successful candidate will work with more senior attorneys for development as well as support projects as a lead attorney as appropriate. With regard to the claim initiatives space, the successful candidate will help advise project teams on claims and pre-litigation dispute resolution and collaborate with the cross discipline claims initiative team. Litigation experience is a plus.
- Development (strategy, drafting and negotiation) of Engineering, Procurement and Construction (EPC) and Engineering, Procurement and Construction Management contracts both lump sum, reimbursable, as well as hybrid contracts, and advice on related contract claims;
- Identify and prioritize legal risks and alternative strategies in defined areas;
- Ensure legal documents accurately reflect commercial decisions, at all times consistent with legal obligations and the Shell Control Framework;5) Help P & T in its journey to TQ performance by developing standard legal documentation, such as model contracts available through the MCL and work to refine such agreements as needed for specific contracts or situations;
- Represent Shell vis-a-vis third parties; and
- Instruct and manage external counsel, where required
- Ability to work with both internal and external stakeholders with diverse cultural backgrounds;
- Coach and mentor and help support and develop more junior lawyers and support staff.
Shell is a global group of energy and petrochemicals companies with over 90,000 employees in more than 70 countries and territories. In the US, we have operated for over a century and are a major oil and gas producer onshore and in the Gulf of Mexico, a recognized innovator in exploration and production technology, and a leading manufacturer and marketer of fuels, natural gas and petrochemicals. We deliver energy responsibly; operate safely with respect to our neighbours and work to minimize our environmental impact. We are in search of remarkable people who will thrive in a diverse and inclusive work environment to deliver exciting projects locally and globally. People who are passionate about exploring new frontiers. Innovators and pioneers. People with the drive to help shape our future. Because remarkable people achieve remarkable things.Requirements
- Must have legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer.
- JD from an accredited US law school is required.
- Minimum seven (7+) years experience as a Licensed Attorney in good standing in Texas or another state in the United States (or have the ability to become immediately eligible to be admitted to the State Bar of Texas).
- In-house experience preferred.
- Minimum of four (4+) years construction experience preferred
- Previous experience with drafting and negotiating master service agreements preferred.
- Strong commercial, transactional, and client advisory skills in, or which can be readily applied to, the upstream, midstream, or downstream oil and gas industry is preferred.
- Candidate should have competitive credentials and related experience from corporate in-house, governmental, and/or leading law firm practice.
- Confidence to make decisions in ambiguous circumstances without significant management oversight.
- Ability to prioritize time spent on particular matters by value and risk.
- Ability to defend difficult positions and achieve balance with commercial considerations.
- Willingness and ability to undertake or assist in new areas of practice.
- Global mindset and ability to work virtually with lawyers in other regions.
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date.
Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Royal Dutch/Shell Group companies around the world.
The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand.
Shell participates in E-Verify.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, citizenship, genetic information or other protected status under federal, state or local laws.
Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disability.