The Shell Polymers Monaca site, formerly known as Project Franklin, will be a world-scale petrochemical plant in Western Pennsylvania that upgrades locally-produced ethane from Marcellus and Utica shale formations gas production to make polyethylene. The petrochemical complex will consist of a world-scale Ethane Cracker Unit (ECU), multiple polyethylene (PE) units, PE logistics and supporting OSBL (utilities, general facilities, storage, and hydrocarbon logistics). The FID (Final Investment Decision) was made in Q2 2016 and the project is now in Execute Phase. As construction of the site progresses, the site is now growing to support Commissioning and Start-Up activities and prepare for full operation in the early 2020s.
ot only are we building a world-class asset, we're building a world-class asset organization. This position is critical to the mission of team, and this will promise to be a once-in-a-lifetime experience supporting a unique rotating equipment kit; containing extremely high horsepower centrifugal compressors, cryogenic compressors, reciprocating compressors, expanders, gas turbine generators, world class & massive extrusion machinery. The site will also include API and ANSI pumps, general purpose equipment and auxiliary equipment such as product blower systems and a multitude of dry gas sealing systems.
The position will work in the Engineering group within a combined department consisting of: Engineering, Maintenance, Projects and Turnarounds. As part of the Penn Chem Plant Asset Team, the position will report to the Rotating Equipment & Manage Equipment Care Manager.
While the position is not a supervisory position, it does require strong leadership skills to be successful. In the project support role, the successful candidate will lead effort to ensure operational readiness by establish systems, process and competence requirements. Successful candidate will provide technical support to the Commissioning and Startup (CSU) in the Rotating Equipment discipline including initial construction validation, establish technical assurance plans and develop commissioning plans with operations to ensure a long run. The successful candidate will establish and ensure team is aligned on engineering requirements, audit criteria to assess contract partners to adherence to project premises, cost and schedule requirements.
In the asset technical support role, the successful candidate will be involved in a variety of activities in direct support of plant operations, including but not limited to mentoring, accountable for site asset integrity, driving competitiveness, ensure technical capabilities, lead performance optimization, advice on rare & complex problems, work collaboratively with other disciplines, , help to define rotating equipment vision and maintenance mission for machinery. , and establish rotating equipment turnaround process.
The successful candidate will be required to establish competence level of maintenance technicians and operators on rotating equipment. They will also be required to maintain and enhance their skills in expertise area through seeking and completing annual training. The successful candidate will be required to maintain and enhance personal effectiveness skills through soft skills training on an annual basis.
1. Deliver GOAL ZERO in safety, environmental, process safety
2. Accountable for Asset Integrity & Assurance, helping to develop and establish a competitive maintenance philosophy for scope definition in partnership with the maintenance, process engineering and production teams.
- Contributing to the development of a comprehensive Operating and Maintenance Philosophy that identifies requirements for monitoring, testing, adjusting and repairing
- Ensure the maintainability of all proposed facilities, based on defined maintenance criteria by carrying out suitable maintainability reviews.
- Promote and assure the continuous improvement of the maintenance processes following field feedbacks
- Proactive in bringing improvements to support competitiveness (increase reliability, margin, energy efficiency) - operational and/or capex business case justification.
3. Provide technical support to all phases of assigned projects or activities, with focus on CSU, Manage Equipment Care (MEC) strategies, spare parts, operating procedures and training.
4. Support Proactive Condition Monitoring, SMART, vibration monitoring and other condition monitoring platforms/programs for the applicable equipment in PA Chemicals.
5. Ensure discipline technical assurance is delivered for affected site work processes. Examples include adherence to MOC, ESP, MEC, ME, MTA and TA.
6. Provide engineering services to support base plant operations and apply best practices and standards in machinery design, maintenance and operation.
7. Technical authority on Management of Change reviews to ensure safe operation and design of equipment and related changes. Applies engineering technology to improve safety and environmental related issues.
8. Participate in the development/revision of Shell and industry-related standards.
9. Support the ESPIR (spare parts) work process by reviewing EP and vendor spare part submissions
10. Understand the following processes as required and engage the project accordingly; preservation, build it tight, build it clean, Leak Detection and Repair (LDAR), Project to Asset Handover (Interdependencies)
11. Accountable for rotating equipment design, fabrication, inspection, repair, alterations, rerating and testing requirements in DEPs, API, ASME, ISO, TEMA, and Shell BP&G's
12. Support / provide input to the contract partners which need to be in place for the new Plant prior to CSU and participate in the contractor evaluation process.
13. Provide coaching and training to REQ inspectors and maintenance crafts in in such areas as troubleshooting, proactive monitoring and what to look for, root cause analysis, etc. We want to empower the staff at all levels.
- Candidate will be expected to help establish the site culture to demonstrate and live the Site's core values of: Ownership,Innovation, Partnership, Communityship, Customer Centricity.
- Proactively engages with variety of stakeholders in a complex and dynamic environment.
- Exercises strong Shell Behavior Imperatives and Leadership Attributes.
- Risk based decision making.
- Proactive mindset in everyday leader standard work.
Shell is a global group of energy and petrochemicals companies with over 90,000 employees in more than 70 countries and territories. In the US, we have operated for over a century and are a major oil and gas producer onshore and in the Gulf of Mexico, a recognized innovator in exploration and production technology, and a leading manufacturer and marketer of fuels, natural gas and petrochemicals. We deliver energy responsibly; operate safely with respect to our neighbours and work to minimize our environmental impact. We are in search of remarkable people who will thrive in a diverse and inclusive work environment to deliver exciting projects locally and globally. People who are passionate about exploring new frontiers. Innovators and pioneers. People with the drive to help shape our future. Because remarkable people achieve remarkable things.Requirements
- Must have legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer.
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering: Mechanical preferred.
- Minimum thirteen (13) years' experience in petrochemical, oil & gas or related industry.
- Ethylene and/or polyethylene plant experience desired.
- Successful candidate will possess subject matter expert level skills and mastery in the rotating equipment field. As a minimum, these include: installation commissioning operating monitoring repair improve.
- Condition/Predictive Monitoring of all machinery and auxillary systems.
- Industry & Corporate Machinery Design Standards and Best Practices.
- Process Safety as it pertains to Rotating Equipment systems.
- Hazardous effect management and safety critical equipment or elements- Change Management- Business Improvement Planning.
- Analyzing and Decision Making.
- Strong background in technical assurance practices.
- Threat mitigation, central maintenance management system (GSAP) & other work processes.
- Experience developing and implementing maintenance strategies including developing TA scope.
- Capable coaching skills with crafts and front line leaders.
- In accordance with the Discipline Engineering Rotating Equipment and Job Competence Matrix, the role requires key competencies as indicated below:
- Rotating Equipment [RE] and driver selection, specification, novel equipment identification including auxiliaries and layout, weight and footprint assessment
- Basis for Design Package [BfD], Operation and Maintenance Philosophy, Concept select and feasibility report and SPEP's
- Lay-out and equipment packaging
- New equipment technologies and applications
- Engineering Design Standards
- Peer (Design, Value Assurance) reviews and X (cross) discipline checks
- Basic Design Package (BDP), Basic Design & Engineering Package (BDEP)
- Detailed equipment design (ancillaries, transmission and monitoring), including contracting work scope
- Equipment Control, Condition Monitoring, Shut down and safeguarding specifications
- Rotor, fluid and aero dynamics and finite element analysis
- Construction & Installation
- RE Testing FAT [Factory Acceptance] and SAT [Site Acceptance]
- RE commissioning and start up support
- RE Maintenance strategy, requirements, contracts
- Performance Standards for Safety Critical Elements/Equipment
- Equipment operation procedures characteristics and constraints
- Condition monitoring and troubleshooting
- Machinery Rerate
- Turnaround [T/A] support and Equipment repair
ote, the Site schedule is a 9-80; however, candidate must appreciate that working schedule is subject to change nearing CSU and especially during CSU when extra support will be required. Please ask questions during the interview process if clarification is needed. The Site wants to be transparent that there is significant work load and hyper-care to prepare and execute the successful CSU of a mega Greenfield Project.Disclaimer
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date.
Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Royal Dutch/Shell Group companies around the world.
The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand.
Shell participates in E-Verify.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, citizenship, genetic information or other protected status under federal, state or local laws.
Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disability.