Experience: 12 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
In order to apply for this position, applicants MUST meet the following criteria. If your resume does not match these criteria, you will not be able to apply for this position.
Authorized to work in: Malaysia
The position which reports to the Head, Compliance Management is responsible for legal compliance management through the provision of effective first level legal advisory in the Critical Laws, the monitoring, reporting and assurance of compliance with Critical Laws, affecting compliance mindset, behavioral & cultural change within PETRONAS and Group of Companies (Corporate), implementing and operationalizing Critical Laws compliance policies, process & procedures, leading and executing Critical Law compliance programs and strategizing, leading and influencing the businesses and supporting functions to comply with Critical Laws, all in order to minimize and mitigate PETRONAS' exposure to legal compliance risks, with the ultimate aim of protecting and safeguarding PETRONAS' interests, integrity, image and reputation.
The position provides support to all PETRONAS Holding Company Units (HCU) and Business Units (BU) and support to PETRONAS' Corporate Operating Units (OPU) such as MISC, PETRONAS ICT, PETROSAINS, DFP MPO, UTP etc. within the PETRONAS Group of Companies as per the PETRONAS Group Management Framework (PGMF).
1) Legal Advisory in Critical Laws to PETRONAS Group of Companies
Assist, lead, drive and ensure the provision of effective front-line and first level legal advisory in the areas of Competition & Trade, Sanctions & Export Control, Data Protection & Privacy, and Ethics & Integrity, and other identified laws affecting PETRONAS at an enterprise level ("Critical Laws") to the PETRONAS Group of Companies (domestic and international).
2) Monitor and Reporting & Assurance of Legal Compliance for Critical Laws for PETRONAS Group of Companies
Assist, lead, drive and execute the monitoring of compliance with Critical Laws and provision of assurance of compliance with Critical Laws; and ensuring provision of effective mitigation steps for compliance with Critical Laws, for the PETRONAS Group of Companies (domestic and international).
Assist, lead, drive and execute the closing of the gaps identified in the Legal Compliance Framework.
3) Monitor and Reporting for Legal Operational Compliance
Assist, lead, drive and execute the monitoring of & reporting on assurance, of legal operational compliance for PETRONAS Group of Companies (domestic and international), with support from business lawyers in Group Legal or other OPUs.
4) Execute a Compliance Mindset and Affect Behavioral Change within PETRONAS Group of Companies
Assist, lead, drive and execute a compliance mindset and affect behavioral & cultural change within PETRONAS Group of Companies by:-
(a) implementing and operationalizing Critical Laws compliance policies, process & procedures;
(b) leading, driving and executing Critical Laws compliance programs;
(c) leading and influencing the businesses and supporting functions to comply with Critical Laws;
(d) provide compliance training on Critical Laws.
NETWORKING AND RELATIONSHIP BUILDING
Foster and sustain strategic and effective working relationships and rapport with the government authorities, business and management institutions, national and key industry players and service providers to keep abreast with latest development in relation to Critical Laws and other compliance related matters.
GOOD GOVERNANCE (APPLICABLE TO JOB GRADE D2 AND ABOVE)
Enforce the implementation of applicable PETRONAS procedures and guidelines and affect the compliance to statutory and legislative requirements to ensure conformance to the established Limits of Authority (LOA) to safeguard PETRONAS interest, image and reputation.
CODES OF CONDUCT & BUSINESS ETHICS (COBE) AND HSE POLICIES
Communicate, interpret and champion the execution of the objectives and provisions of the Health, Safety and Environment (HSE) policies and Codes of Conduct & Business Ethics (COBE) and undertake appropriate mitigation and/or intervention programmes to safeguard business operations, high staff discipline and industrial harmony.
LEADERSHIP AND CAPABILITY DEVELOPMENT
Drive the development of self and competent working team that will enhance and sustain self-capabilities in achieving high performance delivery to ensure internalisation of the right leadership and capabilities.
MINDSET, BEHAVIOUR AND CULTURE
Develop and implement distinctive mindset, behaviour and culture to achieve high work performance by adoption and implementation of value interventions, tools and methodologies to promote and instill high sense of commitment, ownership, integrity and loyalty that will contribute to operational excellence.
QUALIFICATION & EXPERIENCE
- Good honours degree i.e. LLB (Hons)/Bachelor of Laws from a recognised university/institution.
- Preferably at least twelve (12) years' experience with adequate knowledge of Critical Laws and/or compliance management.
- Knowledge and familiarity with PETRONAS business operations are preferable.
- Experience in policy-making, strategic planning, project management and related communications experience are preferable.
- Matured and practical in his/her outlook and proven integrity as he/she will be entrusted with information which is often confidential in nature.
- Good interpersonal skills are required as the position is a liaison focal point within the Company.
- Able to demonstrate broad managerial capability.
- Possess adequate knowledge of the oil & gas industry.
- Must have the ability to provide opinions and recommendations which are legally sound, commercially efficacious and operationally practical.
- Must have initiative and enthusiastic attitude, good written, presentation (oral or written) and drafting skills, meticulous attention to detail, creativity, competent research skills and ability to lead a team and working in a team.
- Must have the ability to keep up with the pace of the Company's business and to meet the challenges of an operating environment.
- Professional identity with high integrity
- Strong commitment
- Good command of English (verbal/written)
- Good interpersonal skills
- Sound knowledge of compliance practice.
- Good negotiation skills with client servicing including information seeking and business awareness
- Strong analytical, legal problem solving and decision making skills.
- Good organisational skills and sound legal research skills
- Good computer IT skills/knowledge
- Leadership & Organizational awareness
- Assumes ownership and accountability of task given and acts decisively with integrity on sound, balanced and practical legal and business judgment.
- Courage and confidence to take a stand on issues or highlight critical issues that can be unpopular to the clients.
- Personal impact, influence & creative problem solving.
Petroliam Nasional Berhad (PETRONAS) is Malaysia’s fully integrated oil and gas multinational ranked among the largest corporations on FORTUNE Global 500.
Operating our core business in the Upstream and Downstream sectors, we are present in more than 65 countries since first incorporated in 1974. We are among the top five oil and gas companies (in terms of production) and the most profitable company in Asia.
We steadily drive for new solutions and continue pushing boundaries to manage new realities and add value to oil and gas resources in a manner that carefully balances commercial, environmental and social considerations.
Petronas is ranked in the Global Top 30 in Rigzone's Ideal Employer Rankings - find out more here.