The Control Systems Engineer (CSE) is a member of the Process Automation Control & Optimization (PACO) Team within the Asset's Technology Department. The Control Systems Engineer (CSE) provides day to day technical support and assurance for the base layer process control (BPCS) system in the designated plant area. The CSE provides support to the area production operation teams on process control schemes, performance and best practices. He/she is also responsible for review of the suggestions for process control improvements or changes with approval from Process Control Engineer.
The Control Systems Engineer has a functional working knowledge of Safety Instrumented Systems and control systems applications and hardware, process operation and theory, operational goals, alarm variable tables, process constraints, key quality specifications for feeds and products, impact on the environment, and major economic variables and how they impact site profitability and goals.Accountabilities
- Provides stable and reliable process control which maintains safe operation within the defined operating window, and avoids exceedance of safety, environmental, and operational limits.
- Participates in incident investigations where process control could have contributed to the event or where the process control system could effectively contribute to the investigation process. Shares learning from incidents and knowledge across site and business.
- Responsible for day to day support to production operations during plant commissioning & start-up (CSU) phase followed up with the same level of support in run-n-maintain phase.
- Monitors process control performance for the module including Base Layer controller uptime, Advanced Process Controller (APC) uptime against targets with application such as MDPro. Develops and implements improvement plans.
- Assists in process control Technical Assurance for module management of change (MOC).
- Re-evaluates control approaches and performance due to changes in plant operating conditions.
- Manages fluctuating priorities dependent on current needs of active projects and MOCs.
- Maintains proper documentation for the process control systems (control loops, tuning spreadsheet, CSE change log, etc.) in the module is maintained.
- Works with Production to ensure operating technicians, support engineers (process, control), inspectors, and production leadership understand function, capability, and limitations of base layer controls and control systems.
- Supports control systems engineering activities during Execute and Operate phase in support of plant projects in assigned module.
- Understands Production priorities, work plans, procedures and goals, and how they fit with overall site plans, strategies and goals and offers guidance.
- Provides support as required for Core work processes to Provide Asset Availability and Make Product, Safety Instrumented Systems (SIS), Reliability Centered Maintenance (RCM), Ensure Safe Production (ESP), Turnarounds (TA), Mitigate Threats to Availability (MTA), Greenhouse Gas and Energy Management (GHGEM); Management of Change (MOC), Perform Hydrocarbon and energy accounting (PHEA).
- Follows applicable standards, Shell approved technologies, procedures (DEPs, DSM, EFAs, TAMAP, local procedures/policies).
- Maintains consistency across all plant areas in implementing Shell Emerson MAC toolkit implementation.
- Supports the site Process Control Improvement Plan, in accordance with Global PACO (Base layer, APC, Infrastructure) and Shell Polymer's PACO strategy.
- Support the Process Control Engineer in implementation of base layer control applications and advanced process control applications that focus on increased margin and energy reduction initiatives aligned with plant goals and targets (Carbon Energy Management Bad Actors, Variable Cost reduction, catalyst optimization).
- Assists in the development and implementation of technology plans (capital plans, infrastructure upgrades, reliability improvement strategies, Control Improvement Plan, etc) for safe, reliable, and efficient process automation, control, and optimization at the site.
- Identifies continuous improvement opportunities.
Multiple positions exist to support different plant production units such as Ethylene cracker, polyethylene, Cogen, utilities, storage & logistics.
These positions has cross-site influence and progresses / champions a site strategic vision within the PACO discipline. The person in this role will adhere to the Shell Polymers Core Values i.e. Customer Centricity, ownership, innovation, partnership and Communityship with the ultimate vision of the asset team to be the unrivaled polyethylene manufacturer.
Responsible for day-to-day technical support and assurance for the base layer process control (BPCS) and reliability of control system hardware in designated plant area.
Also responsible for supporting the multiple data acquisition systems within the plant such as Rotating Equipment Data Acquisition system (Bently Nevada and Prognost), Electrical Network Monitoring & Control System (Siemens ENMCS), Turbine control systems (GE Mark VI and Siemens PCS7), overspeed protection system (Woodward) and different package PLC based control systems (Allen Bradley/Siemens/Modicon, etc.)Company Description
Shell is a global group of energy and petrochemicals companies with over 90,000 employees in more than 70 countries and territories. In the US, we have operated for over a century and are a major oil and gas producer onshore and in the Gulf of Mexico, a recognized innovator in exploration and production technology, and a leading manufacturer and marketer of fuels, natural gas and petrochemicals. We deliver energy responsibly; operate safely with respect to our neighbours and work to minimize our environmental impact. We are in search of remarkable people who will thrive in a diverse and inclusive work environment to deliver exciting projects locally and globally. People who are passionate about exploring new frontiers. Innovators and pioneers. People with the drive to help shape our future. Because remarkable people achieve remarkable things.Requirements
- Must have legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer.
- BS/MS in Chemical, Electrical or Mechanical Engineering with demonstrated knowledge of practical work experience in process automation and/or process control.
- At least five (5) years of process automation, controls and instrumentation experience.
- Experience in a manufacturing or technical support environment.
- Experience in project support and/or management.
- Working level experience with Emerson DeltaV system (latest versions) is a big plus.
- Working level experience with Emerson iAMS in a run & maintain phase is also a plus.
- Experience with Advanced Process Control Applications (multivariable control, complex control loops, control logic) is a plus.
- Knowledge of safety reviews (PHA, HEMP-LOPA, etc.) with participation is a plus.
- Knowledge of Shell corporate policies, HSSE&SP framework, Process safety basic requirements and HEMP processes.
- Knowledge on industry standards in control systems and plant automation areas.
- Demonstrated analytical and decision making skills.
- Strong troubleshooting and problem solving skills
- Ability to cope with a variety of issues and situations.
- Able to work with diverse groups.
- Good communication skills (Oral/Written).
- Good work planning skills
- Displays Leadership Attributes for Individual Performers with demonstration of self-directing and results oriented attitude. This person must have the ability to handle multiple tasks with competing priorities while collaborating with the growing Shell Polymers Asset and developing roadmap and skillsets to support his/her discipline
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date.
Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Royal Dutch/Shell Group companies around the world.
The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand.
Shell participates in E-Verify.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, citizenship, genetic information or other protected status under federal, state or local laws.
Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disability.