Skills: Laboratory Ops / Tech
Experience: 1 + Years
Education: Masters Degree
Employment Type: Full Time Salaried Employee
Location: Richmond, California, United States
In order to apply for this position, applicants MUST meet the following criteria. If your resume does not match these criteria, you will not be able to apply for this position.
Chevron is accepting online applications for the position of Lab Technician located in Richmond, CA California.
Under the direction of the research scientist/chemical engineer and Technical team leader, provides safe and high quality, cost-effective operation of a variety of testing equipment/instrument and laboratory operations to provide data for various Separations process R&D programs and requested work to Chevron customers. Conducts experiments using hazardous chemicals following good laboratory practices and according to Chevron Operational Excellence procedures.
Responsibilities for this position may include but are not limited to:
- Assists in research and development of new physical and chemical separation processes for removal of impurities from hydrocarbons and water streams. Work is at the lab, bench, and potentially pilot scale.
- Will be provided work direction by one or more research scientists/engineers. The work involves preparing separation agents (solvents, adsorbents, membranes, etc), writing/updating procedures, operating, troubleshooting, maintaining, modifying separation and reaction testing equipment, such as distillation, adsorption, absorption, solvents extraction, membranes, filtration, and other separation processes testing units, etc.
- Operates, troubleshoots, fixes, and maintains analytical instruments, such as gas chromatography, Mass spectrometer, sulfur and nitrogen speciation detectors, Lumax analyzers, Sorption property analyzer, etc.
- May set up new small bench scale equipment as needed. Teams with co-workers, the shops, and safety experts for more extensive building/modification of microunits.
- May work with compressed gas sylinders
- Organizes, compiles, and files data. Makes basic calculations related to test runs and data workup. Does simple data interpretation, such as preparing graphs and Excel spreadsheets, and creating reports as needed. Maintains records (written and computer) of sufficient quality to support patent applications. Maintains an accurate and up to date Laboratory Note Book.
- Maintains a clean, neat, and safe laboratory according to safety policies and tenets. This includes keeping the lab up-to-date on safety inspections (e.g. regulator and relief valve inspections up-to-date). It also includes maintaining chemical inventory and other appropriate safety records for lab operations. Follows all safety regulations and procedures.
This is a safety-sensitive position and requires enrollment in a random drug and alcohol-screening program. Minimum lost time is required.
Performs other duties as needed that may or may not be associated with lab work, for example, packing & shipping samples, ordering supplies as needed.
- Minimum of 1 year R&D laboratory experience, preferred in the areas of chemistry or chemical engineering. Experience should include safe work with hazardous chemicals.
- Team work and ability to multi-task simultaneously
- Proficient in MicroSoft (Word, Outlook, Excel), data manipulation and graphing along with analytical instrument software
- Technician should show motivation to help developing and/or applying new analytical techniques such as GC, MS, On Line Speciation Analyzers, etc.
- Attention to safety is critical, in working with chemicals, high-pressure and high-temperature process units.
- Bachelor's degree in Chemistry or two years college in Chemistry
- A minimum of 3 years of R&D laboratory experience is preferred
- Strong mathematical skills highly desirable
- Must be able to learn quickly and bring forth new ideas and solutions
- Strong communication skills both written and oral
Relocation will not be considered.
Expatriate assignments will not be considered.
Chevron regrets that it is unable to sponsor employment Visas or consider individuals on time-limited Visa status for this position.
Regulatory Disclosure for US Positions:
Chevron is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status, or other status protected by law or regulation.
Chevron participates in E-Verify in certain locations as required by law.
Nearest Major Market: San Francisco
Nearest Secondary Market: Oakland
Chevron is one of the world’s leading integrated energy companies. Our success is driven by our people and their commitment to get results the right way – by operating responsibly, executing with excellence, applying innovative technologies and capturing new opportunities for profitable growth. Some of our specialties include generating power and produce geothermal energy; investing in profitable renewable energy and energy efficiency solutions; and developing the energy resources of the future, including researching advanced biofuels.
Our diverse and highly skilled workforce consists of approximately 64,700 employees, including more than 3,200 service station employees. At Chevron, we’re focused on safely delivering the energy needed to power human and economic progress worldwide. But how do we do that when harnessing fossil fuels can be inherently risky? To meet these challenges, Chevron has spent more than 20 years expanding systems that support a culture of safety and environmental stewardship that strives to achieve unequaled performance and prevent all serious incidents and fatalities. We call this Operational Excellence, and it drives everything we do.
Diversity & Inclusion
We’re committed to reflecting in our workforce the rich diversity of cultures and racial and ethnic backgrounds in the communities where we live and work. We’re also devoted to encouraging a diversity of ideas.
Diversity is one of the cornerstones of our values, which we call The Chevron Way. The Chevron Way states:
“We learn from and respect the cultures in which we work. We value and demonstrate respect for the uniqueness of individuals and the varied perspectives and talents they provide. We have an inclusive work environment and actively embrace a diversity of people, ideas, talents and experiences.”
As a core value, diversity is critical to developing a talented, high-performing workforce needed for ongoing business success. The Chevron Way’s focus on people has helped establish a culture that attracts, develops and retains more diverse talent.
We Support Career & Personal Development
We value the importance of managing work/life priorities by offering flexible work schedules, on-site child care at some facilities, adoption assistance, dual-career couple support, scholarships and tuition reimbursement.
At Chevron, you’ll find a workplace committed to your professional development. You’ll receive support and tools to create your own career path, including education assistance support which pays up to 75% of the cost (including tuition, textbooks, lab fees, and registration and administration fees) for approved courses. To strengthen organizational capability, we develop our employees’ and contractors’ skills and experience through our Invest in People strategy. As part of this strategy, discussions focused on continually improving individual performance are held between managers and employees.
Chevron is ranked in the Global Top 10 in Rigzone's Ideal Employer Rankings - find out more here.