Experience: 4 + Years
Education: High School/Secondary
Employment Type: Full Time Salaried Employee
Location: San Ramon, California, United States
In order to apply for this position, applicants MUST meet the following criteria. If your resume does not match these criteria, you will not be able to apply for this position.
Chevron is accepting online applications for the position of Counsel/Senior Counsel located in San Ramon, CA through November 20, 2018 at 11:59 p.m. (Eastern Standard Time).
The Senior Counsel or Counsel position is based in San Ramon, California. This position is part of the Americas Products Legal Team which is responsible for supporting the Downstream fuels marketing business in the Americas. The Americas Products team is part of the Downstream, Chemicals & Midstream Law Function. The lawyers in this group provide commercial, business and transactional legal support for Chevron's multi-billion dollar refining and marketing operations in the Americas. Other major Downstream business clients include Manufacturing (which operates 4 U.S. refineries), and specialty businesses such as Oronite, Chevron Lubricants, Technology Marketing, and joint ventures such as Chevron Phillips Chemical Company.
Responsibilities for this position may include but are not limited to:
- Provide strategic legal advice on all legal and regulatory issues related to the marketing of fuels in the U.S. as well as a broad range of related matters with minimal supervision
- Be a key resource to the business personnel and other legal team members to provide guidance related to the PMPA, Robinson Patman Act, and franchise, real property, and anticompetition laws
- Draft and negotiate branded supply agreements and related commercial agreements associated with branded retail outlets, manage legal and commercial risks, ensure Chevron's interests are protected and advanced, and provide client teams with constructive, practical, and proactive legal guidance
- Provide legal support to emergency response teams related to retail fuels marketing incidents
- Work closely with Chevron's subject matter experts in tax, finance, intellectual property, compliance, environmental, insurance and project management to integrate such guidance into commercial negotiations and agreements
- Provide advice and advocacy to business clients daily by interpreting laws, rulings and regulations, analyze probable outcomes based on legal precedents and experience, develop strategies and evaluate findings
- Provide legal advice and support for dispute resolution and pre-litigation strategy and planning and coordinate with the litigation management team as needed
- Provide client training and instruction on various aspects of the law including: contracting, compliance and antitrust
- Demonstrate a positive attitude and excellence in professionalism, teamwork, collaboration, and information sharing with clients, colleagues and throughout the Law Function
- Communicate clearly, simply and directly. Provide timely and fit-for-purpose reports to business clients and law management.
- Provide work direction to and performance feedback for supporting legal analysts
- Engage outside counsel on certain matters when needed in a judicious, cost effective, and closely managed manner
- Continuously develop expertise in the legal field of responsibility
- At least 4 years' experience advising on retail fuels marketing matters, including advising on all forms of supply relationships, franchise, competition law and Petroleum Marketers Practices Act (PMPA) issues. No less than a total of 8 years of transactional legal experience.
- Experience advising on a multitude of real property issues, including sales, purchases, leases, title issues, zoning, permitting, eminent domain, purchase options; rights of first refusal; and other similar matters
Additional Required Qualifications:
- Must have legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis
- JD from an accredited law school and admitted to practice law in a U.S. state or the District of Columbia, or able to comply with requirements for in-house counsel
- Ability to independently negotiate and draft commercial agreements with appropriate understanding and interpretation of the business strategy, while mitigating risks and obtaining optimal value for the business
- Ability to deal with a high workload, including working on several issues in parallel with excellent attention to detail
- High ethical standards and ability to maintain strict confidentiality
- Excels at collaborating with business clients, other in-house counsel, outside counsel and support staff
- Excellent written and oral communication skills. Fluent written and spoken English.
- High attention to detail and an adept commercial and creative thinker who learns quickly and can work productively in a fast-paced team environment
- Ability to travel domestically on a limited basis
- Strong academic background and a commercial, problem solving mindset
- Written and spoken Spanish fluency is a plus but not required
- Demonstrated leadership capability
- Engineering, scientific or other technical background
Relocation may be considered within Chevron parameters. *LI-RH1
Expatriate assignments will not be considered.
Regulatory Disclosure for US Positions:
Chevron is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status, or other status protected by law or regulation.
Chevron participates in E-Verify in certain locations as required by law.
Nearest Major Market: San Francisco
Nearest Secondary Market: Oakland
Chevron is one of the world’s leading integrated energy companies. Our success is driven by our people and their commitment to get results the right way – by operating responsibly, executing with excellence, applying innovative technologies and capturing new opportunities for profitable growth. Some of our specialties include generating power and produce geothermal energy; investing in profitable renewable energy and energy efficiency solutions; and developing the energy resources of the future, including researching advanced biofuels.
Our diverse and highly skilled workforce consists of approximately 64,700 employees, including more than 3,200 service station employees. At Chevron, we’re focused on safely delivering the energy needed to power human and economic progress worldwide. But how do we do that when harnessing fossil fuels can be inherently risky? To meet these challenges, Chevron has spent more than 20 years expanding systems that support a culture of safety and environmental stewardship that strives to achieve unequaled performance and prevent all serious incidents and fatalities. We call this Operational Excellence, and it drives everything we do.
Diversity & Inclusion
We’re committed to reflecting in our workforce the rich diversity of cultures and racial and ethnic backgrounds in the communities where we live and work. We’re also devoted to encouraging a diversity of ideas.
Diversity is one of the cornerstones of our values, which we call The Chevron Way. The Chevron Way states:
“We learn from and respect the cultures in which we work. We value and demonstrate respect for the uniqueness of individuals and the varied perspectives and talents they provide. We have an inclusive work environment and actively embrace a diversity of people, ideas, talents and experiences.”
As a core value, diversity is critical to developing a talented, high-performing workforce needed for ongoing business success. The Chevron Way’s focus on people has helped establish a culture that attracts, develops and retains more diverse talent.
We Support Career & Personal Development
We value the importance of managing work/life priorities by offering flexible work schedules, on-site child care at some facilities, adoption assistance, dual-career couple support, scholarships and tuition reimbursement.
At Chevron, you’ll find a workplace committed to your professional development. You’ll receive support and tools to create your own career path, including education assistance support which pays up to 75% of the cost (including tuition, textbooks, lab fees, and registration and administration fees) for approved courses. To strengthen organizational capability, we develop our employees’ and contractors’ skills and experience through our Invest in People strategy. As part of this strategy, discussions focused on continually improving individual performance are held between managers and employees.
Chevron is ranked in the Global Top 10 in Rigzone's Ideal Employer Rankings - find out more here.