The Senior Process Control Engineer is responsible for the overall operation, health, and growth of the process control/automation strategies for a set of operating units. This includes base layer control, complex base layer control strategies, advanced/supervisory control strategies, and procedural automation. Accountabilities
The Senior Process Control Engineer;
- monitors process control performance (base layer and advanced controller uptime) against targets using standard Shell tools.
- provides support to the Run and Maintain Process Control Engineers and mentors on process control concepts, methods, and best practices within controls/automation.
- provides support and technical assurance for the management of change process.
- assures technical assurance and conformance to all applicable Shell regional or global standards.
- assures proper documentation for the process control systems (complex loops, tuning spreadsheet, CSE change log, etc.) is maintained.
- mentors Run and Maintain Process Control Engineers on best practices, appropriate documentation, and thoroughness of reviews.
- manages fluctuating priorities with operations support staff, which requires understanding production priorities and work plans and their relationship to site plans, strategies, and goals.
- contributes to turnaround planning, including preparation and design of control related turnaround work scope.
- supports process control and automation activities during various phases of capital projects in assigned operating units when necessary.
- promotes long term improvements in process control performance by re-evaluating control approaches and performance due to changes in plant operating conditions, margins, and energy savings initiatives as well as working with production to assure support staff understands the function, capability, and limitations of process control and distributed control systems.
- assists in the development, implementation, and support of short term and long-term plans (capital plans, infrastructure upgrades, reliability improvement strategies, Control Improvement Plan, etc) for safe, reliable, and efficient process automation, control, and optimization at the site.
- supports advanced process control implementation and unit optimization.
- shares learnings from incidents, best practices, and knowledge within Geismar's controls/instrumentation department and with discipline specialists across multiple sites
The Senior Process Control Engineer is expected to have a functional working knowledge of instrumentation, distributed control systems hardware, safety instrumented systems (solver logic and hardware), process operation and theory, alarm management, key quality specifications for feeds and products, environment compliance variables, and major economic variables and their impact to site profitability.
The Geismar Chemical Plant's distributed control system is Honeywell with several TDC3000 (LCN/UCN) systems and multiple Experion (C300) systems. Advanced multivariable controllers are deployed on most production units using Shell's Multivariable Optimizing Control software.Company Description
There is an opportunity for an experienced Senior Process Control Engineer to join Shell's global energy company at the growing chemical manufacturing site in Geismar, LA.
Shell is a global group of energy and petrochemicals companies with over 90,000 employees in more than 70 countries and territories. In the US, we have operated for over a century and are a major oil and gas producer onshore and in the Gulf of Mexico, a recognized innovator in exploration and production technology, and a leading manufacturer and marketer of fuels, natural gas, and petrochemicals. We deliver energy responsibly, operate safely with respect to our neighbors, and work to minimize our environmental impact.
We are in search of creative, independent, and remarkable people who are passionate about exploring new frontiers in the automation and controls world, who will work to deliver innovative and sustainable projects locally and globally, and who will help shape our future at Geismar and Shell as a whole.Requirements
Desired technical skills include:
- Must have legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer.
- Bachelor's Degree in Chemical, Electrical or Mechanical Engineering with demonstrated knowledge of practical work experience in a manufacturing environment required
- Minimum six (6) years of process automation, controls and instrumentation experience in a manufacturing facility.
Desired soft skills include:
- Advanced Process Control Applications (multivariable control, complex control loops, control logic).
- Honeywell TDC 3000 and Experion Systems.
- Batch (ISA 88) experience.
- Knowledge of safety reviews (PHA, HEMP-LOPA, etc.) with participation.
- Knowledge of Triconex safety system platform.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated analytical and decision- making skills.
- Ability to cope with a variety of issues and situations.
- ?Ability to work with diverse groups.
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date.
Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Royal Dutch/Shell Group companies around the world.
The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand.
Shell participates in E-Verify.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, citizenship, genetic information or other protected status under federal, state or local laws.
Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disability.