This role is responsible for coordinating the collection of data from all sources within Shell's Convent Refinery (COR) to develop the Capital portion of the annual business plan, communicate the contents, support the progression of projects and manage changes as an evergreen process. The individual to fill this role will function as Portfolio Coordinator
- Responsible for coordination and development of the 10 year Capital Plan for COR.
- Provide transparency of timing, phase and status with Stakeholders (including Production teams and Results delivery teams) quarterly, including alignment on deadlines and expectations for submittal of Project Initiation Forms for inclusion in any given capital planning year.
- Support the various teams and initiatives onsite requiring Capital to ensure impacts to the plan are captured quickly and appropriately (e.g. Business Development, Tank Team, Catalyst, Turnaround Planning, SWIM, etc).
- As member of cross-functional Business Planning team:
- Conduct extensive data analysis, including prioritization, categorization, comparison, trend identification and plan on plan reconciliation.
- Ensure data consistency in content and delivery within the Ether Software application
- Gain alignment with Stakeholders on projects status, CAPEX forecasts, etc
- Create and present project expense/capital forecasts for review with leadership (Business Plan Challenge Session, plan on plan walks, etc)
- Be the first point of contact for Capital Projects with a working understanding of all open capital projects, scope, timing and Total Installed Cost (TIC).
- Assist Project controls as part of quarterly Latest Estimate (LE) Reviews to ensure prioritization of the business plan and stakeholder inputs are considered for necessary adjustments to meet Capital budget constraints or opportunities.
- Project Review Committee Accountabilities:
- Accountable for providing first technical review for all Project Initiation Forms and Investment Proposals submitted; Provide feedback and recommendations ahead of PRC to drive quality submissions for efficient reviews.
- Set agenda, capture & manage action items with the PRC tracker.
- Coordinate with Project Controls on record management for new projects (PIFs).
- Support Solomon benchmarking efforts regarding Capital spend, including but not limited to, understanding, communicating and managing expectations on what the numbers are, mean and are derived from.
- Lead efforts to continuously improve clarity, consistency and quality of the Capital Planning process and LE management with stakeholders and Project Controls. Plan - Do - Check - Adjust methodology is expected.
In addition to the functions of developing the Capital Portfolio, this role includes the requirements of the Project Development Engineer
role to provide justification, development, and support to implementation of projects to improve safety and environmental performance, improve asset reliability and profitability within COR. In addition, process engineers in this role may conduct special studies and provide supplemental production support to COR.
This role is responsible for the initial development of improvement ideas and provides engineering support and coordination for projects critical to delivering the site's capital investment plan. Projects will have varying process complexity, size, cost and priority.
The overall objectives of this role are:
Accountabilities for Health Safety and Environmental:Assure compliance with all Health, Safety, and Environmental procedures.Assure compliance with Process Safety Management procedures.Safety Hazards and Process Hazards Analysis technical resource.Coordinate project safeguarding.Responsible for maintaining safeguarding documentation for projects.Responsible for closing actions associated with projects.Maintain close relationships with process and discipline specialists.Provide technical assistance for permit applications associated with projects.Accountabilities for Process Engineering:Ensure all process designs are safe, technically sound, meet Company standards and meets business needs.Support Project Manager at review committee meetings for assigned projects.Potentially lead or support special technical studies and provide engineering support to the assessment (pre-scouting) activities of improvement ideas.Support completion of Project Initiation Forms (idea generation).Engage with stakeholders and customers to align on project objectives and minimum functional requirements, timing, etc..Ensure all aspects of Refinery operation are adequately covered during project definition.Coordinate and document Opportunity Framing, where applicable.Develop and maintain Project Premise Document for all phases of the project.Provide economic evaluations throughout the project, documenting assumptions and basis.Support the development of the Basis of Design.Provide continued process engineering support to the execution organizations during the detailed engineering, procurement, and construction phases of the project.Ensure adequate / appropriate commissioning and start-up support to operations.Dimensions:
- provide support for conceptual design of projects.
- lead projects from Identify to the Define project process phases.
- help develop margin improvement ideas and project economic justifications.
- No Direct Reports; opportunity to backfill for leadership roles
- Frequent exposure to extended leadership team and site leadership team
- Capital Planning time requirement ~90% of any given work day from March - August
- Must be flexible, able to meet complicated data analysis deadlines outside core hours as business demands.
- Solomon responsibilities occur every two years.
- Leads activities to be performed by engineering contractors
Shell is a global group of energy and petrochemicals companies with over 90,000 employees in more than 70 countries and territories. In the US, we have operated for over a century and are a major oil and gas producer onshore and in the Gulf of Mexico, a recognized innovator in exploration and production technology, and a leading manufacturer and marketer of fuels, natural gas and petrochemicals. We deliver energy responsibly; operate safely with respect to our neighbours and work to minimize our environmental impact. We are in search of remarkable people who will thrive in a diverse and inclusive work environment to deliver exciting projects locally and globally. People who are passionate about exploring new frontiers. Innovators and pioneers. People with the drive to help shape our future. Because remarkable people achieve remarkable things.Requirements
- Must have legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer.
- Bachelor's degree in Chemical Engineering required.
- Minimum seven (7) years relevant experience in Oil & Gas industries preferably in Refinery manufacturing complex.
- Background in process engineering support to operations or project development experience required.
- Knowledge and application of safety methodology and reviews (Process Hazards Analysis, Layers of Protection Analysis, etc.), including safeguarding.
- Experience with plant changes and Management of Change process.
- Knowledge of project economic analysis and use of economics models (e.g. DOVAMO).
- Knowledge and application of standards.
- Awareness of process control systems and theory.
- Extensive Excel, Visio and Powerpoint skills. Strong with Process Modeling software.
- Proven ability to complete and deliver a wide range of activities for multiple projects all with competing schedules for completion.
- Strong Collaboration & coordination/organization skills required.
- Demonstrated analytical and decision making skills.
- Demonstrated interpersonal and communication skills (technical, presentation, listening).
- Provide technical guidance and mentoring within the organization.
- Proven ability to cooperate with diverse groups of people (internal stakeholders, offsite stakeholders, clients, Engineering contractors, etc.)
- Dependable resource in high stress situations.
- Innovative and creative.
- Demonstrated Causal Reasoning Skills, a plus.
Required Process Engineering Competencies:
- Process Safety
- Concept Development
- Process Unit Operations Support
- Process Unit Design
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date.
Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Royal Dutch/Shell Group companies around the world.
The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand.
Shell participates in E-Verify.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, citizenship, genetic information or other protected status under federal, state or local laws.
Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disability.