- Advise management on all legal matters to avoid or minimise exposure to disputes and liabilities under contract, legislation or law by ensuring compliance with all applicable contractual, statutory and other legal requirements in Downstream matters.
- To conduct efficient legal research on any legal issue/question of concern to the Companies' businesses, functions and project teams, to ensure Shell Legal Malaysia's legal advice is up-to-date, correct, focused, practical and easily understood.
- To devise, manage and provide expert legal advice on claims for and against the Companies' businesses and functions prior to commencement of litigation to ensure:
a) speedy resolution of all disputes;
b) minimizing exposure to civil or criminal liabilities;
c) minimizing legal costs; and
d) the interests of the Companies are protected at all times.
- To timely identify, locate and collate all relevant evidence (documentary or testimonial) on a case to case basis to ensure that the interests of the Companies are protected at all times.
- Provision of high quality, accurate and timely legal and company secretarial advice in the company's day-to-day operations.
- Responsible to provide all aspect of company secretarial support including managing the provision of company secretarial services by external firms, in compliance with the Companies Act and other relevant statutory requirements.
- To advise Board of Directors and management on their statutory duties and responsibilities.
- Drafting and negotiation of corporate, commercial and technical agreements.
- Drafting and vetting of company secretarial documents such as resolutions, board meeting minutes and memorandum to the Board of Directors.
- Advise on the formulation, interpretation and implementation of Shell policies to ensure consistency and compliance with contractual obligations, applicable laws and industry practice/standards.
- Monitor changes in the law and advice management on the impact of such changes on operations and recommend strategies for compliance.
- Organise and conduct internal legal compliance training sessions.
Shell is a global leader in power, energy, and gas technology and is working to meet increasing energy demand and supply challenges by delivering smarter products and cleaner energy, infrastructure, and by developing new energy sources while addressing the impact on the environment. Malaysia is one of Shell's heartlands. The history of Royal Dutch Shell in Malaysia started more than 125 years. Today, Shell maintains a strong multi-faceted presence in the country through our longer-term investments, innovation-sharing, and impact to local communities. We helped pioneer Malaysia's oil and gas industry and fuelled its growth. We discovered Malaysia's first oil onshore, then took the industry offshore, and most recently into the technically-challenging depths of Deepwater. Shell's strong retail network fuels the journeys of millions of Malaysian motorists every day. In fact, Shell is even able to offer one of the most differentiated fuel and lubricant products, some of which were pioneered right here in the country. We fuelled the ambitions of Malaysians: whether the generations of retail business partners; thousands of Shell scholars over the years; young entrepreneurs from our LiveWire programme; or Shell staff and alumni who are Malaysian luminaries today. Shell continues to be one of the top employers in Malaysia with thousands employed in our upstream, midstream and downstream businesses, as well as in our service and support functions.Requirements
- A lawyer or in-house counsel with minimum eight (8) years post qualifying experience.
- Minimum a Bachelor's Degree in Law
- Familiar with corporate and company secretarial matters.
- Possess excellent communication and interpersonal skills and fluency in English.
- Impeccable reputation for trustworthiness and ability to maintain strict confidentiality in view of access to highly confidential information.
- Experience in the Oil & Gas industry or in a related industry and having a valid company secretarial license is an advantage.
- The job requires a sound and up-to-date professional legal knowledge and skill through reading of Malaysian laws, legal reports, journals, attending conferences, building and maintaining professional contacts in the legal profession, a very good knowledge of the range of business activities of the companies and the application and interpretation of applicable companies' policies, contractual terms, statutory provisions and general legal principles to the business in order to achieve minimum and manageable exposure to liabilities, losses and damages to the companies.
- Also, it requires the incumbent to have excellent interpersonal skills in dealing with external lawyers and advisers, clients and others in negotiations to achieve the desired results.
- There is also a need to be creative and logical to anticipate risk and issues and plan through drafting and negotiating strategies and creating legal awareness amongst non-legal personnel of the companies and can act quickly, accurately, credibly and decisively under often stressful and critical circumstances as the guardian of the companies' interests.
- In the event of emergency and incidents, the incumbent must be flexible to work outside normal office hours.
- Experience in marketing activities or supply chain may be an added advantage.
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date.
Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Royal Dutch/Shell Group companies around the world.
The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand.
Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer.