Convent, Louisiana, United States
Convent, Louisiana, United States
Skills: Safety Engineering
Experience: 5 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Employment Type: Full Time Salaried Employee
Location: Convent, Louisiana, United States
No location/work authorization restrictions found.
The Process Safety Engineer - Flare and Relief provides the leadership, direction, and structure to help ensure process equipment is properly studied and safeguarded as required by code and DEM1 (Design and Engineering Manual). The Process Safety Engineer - Flare and Relief is a member of the Process Safety Management Team and is responsible for working successfully across disciplines and work processes to ensure a robust and compliant (Code and DEM1) safeguarding program. They will work with process engineering, maintenance, and operations to ensure properly safeguarded process equipment. Additionally, this role will track execution of safeguarding projects, update of documentation, remain current on external standards and internal requirements.
The focus of this support position is to carry out critical process safety activities and programs to ensure the safety of our employees and our communities.
- Member of the Convent Process Safety Management Team.
- Works with discipline leads and operations on managed change to ensure proper safeguarding of process equipment.
- Maintain an overall site strategy for Safeguarding Memorandum (SGM) development and updates.
- Generates project work scope for Safeguarding Memorandum (SGM) remediation.
- Provide consultancy for safeguarding projects
- Ensure Safeguarding Memorandum (SGM) are updated based on project as built information.
- Participates in Process Hazard Analyses (PHAs) and other HazOps when safeguarding expertise is required.
- Participates in Management of Change (MOC) when safeguarding expertise is required.
- Reviews Management of Change (MOC) to verify safeguarding is maintained or improved according to internal and/or external standards.
- Provide guidance and approval for PRV mitigation plans when PRVs are removed from service.
- Participates in investigations associated with safeguarding system failures and/or abbreviated mission cycles.
- Uses collected data to prepare and report on performance against expectation, and trends.
- Works across the site to improve safeguarding performance and to help ensure this equipment exists as valid barriers.
- Understand corporate resources and contacts relative to safeguarding and facilitate use of these resources when necessary.
- Training of operators and crafts, and other engineers in the principles of safeguarding, their responsibilities, and the importance of timely, competent execution of those responsibilities.
- The Safeguarding Engineer will also have a key role in the education of our site's personnel on process safety hazards and barrier thinking at Convent.
The Process Safety Engineer will report to the Convent Site Process Safety Manager and be an integral member of the Process Safety (PSM) Team. This engineer provides consultation to the line organization on safeguarding issues and mentoring to less experienced Engineers and staff on the principles of safeguarding, their responsibilities risk analysis, barrier thinking and PSM standards and requirements.
The PSM Team supports incident investigations, provides advice and support to projects, participates in audits, coordinates and manages the site process safety actions, supports the Learning from Incidents (LFI), Hazards and Effects Management Process (HEMP) and MOC processes and lead the Site effort in compliance with the Global Model Bowtie Program.
By execution of these accountabilities it is expected that the successful candidate will contribute to bringing world class safety performance to the Convent Refinery.
Shell is a global group of energy and petrochemicals companies with over 90,000 employees in more than 70 countries and territories. In the US, we have operated for over a century and are a major oil and gas producer onshore and in the Gulf of Mexico, a recognized innovator in exploration and production technology, and a leading manufacturer and marketer of fuels, natural gas and petrochemicals. We deliver energy responsibly; operate safely with respect to our neighbours and work to minimize our environmental impact. We are in search of remarkable people who will thrive in a diverse and inclusive work environment to deliver exciting projects locally and globally. People who are passionate about exploring new frontiers. Innovators and pioneers. People with the drive to help shape our future. Because remarkable people achieve remarkable things.
- Must have legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer.
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering: Mechanical or Chemical preferred.
- Minimum five (5) years industrial experience in the continuous process industries with areas of subject matter expertise and proven technical strength in process engineering.
- Experience in process safety and safeguarding work is required
- Comprehensive understanding of continuous processes and equipment.
- Experience in refinery and chemical processes/operations is desired.
- Proven ability to establish rapport with a team and focus them to analyze the process safety hazards of a unit.
- Strong engineering skills (across multiple disciplines) and should be able to challenge ideas and designs.
Candidate should have a working knowledge of the following:
- Relief valve calculations
- Understanding and ability to apply requirements of the following standards:
- API 521 - Pressure-relieving and de-pressuring systems
- API 520 Part I and II -- Sizing, Selection, and Installation of Pressure-Relieving Devices in Refineries
- API 537 - Flare Details for General Refinery and Petrochemical Service
- API 2000 - Venting Atmospheric and Low-Pressure Storage Tanks
- UG-140 i
- ASME VIII and ASME I Equipment requirements
- Appendix M for Section VIII equipment
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date.
Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Royal Dutch/Shell Group companies around the world.
The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand.
Shell participates in E-Verify.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, citizenship, genetic information or other protected status under federal, state or local laws.
Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disability.
Learn More about Shell: Watch their Life at Shell Video