Skills: Ships Mate / Officer
Experience: 5 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
No location/work authorization restrictions found.
~~In anticipation of rigs being activated in our Middle East, Africa, Asia Pacific regions, Ensco is recruiting externally for Chief Mate. Vacancies for these roles may not be immediate and are contingent upon rigs being reactivated. Successful candidates must be willing to work anywhere in these regions.
Responsible for crew's safety, ship security, pollution prevention, Department Head (Marine), lifesaving equipment maintenance, marine equipment maintenance, vessel stability, supervision of Dynamic Positioning Operators and safe operations of the MODU.
• One (1) or more years as a Chief Mate preferred
• Two (2) years as Sr. Dynamic Position Operator on the same class of MODU
• Four (4) years of marine experience
Education, Training, Licenses and/or Certifications
• Degree from a recognized Maritime Academy or University
• Completion of all training and certification required by the Standards of Training for Certification of Watch Standers 1978 as amended for Chief Mate Unlimited Tonnage vessels upon oceans
• Certification as a Dynamic Position Operator with two (2) years of employment
• Possession of Flag State document for the MODU
• Must meet all the training and certification requirements which will vary by unit location according to local requirements and regulations. Specific unit requirements will be found in local job specification procedures and guidelines.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
• Head of the Marine Department and Crew
• Responsible for safety of crew, protection of the environment and safety of the MODU
• On Scene Commander of the Emergency Response Teams in the event of a fire or other emergency; coordinates and participates in drills and exercises, including monitoring and evaluation of emergency team response as defined on the Station Bill and by all maritime laws. Ensures that all required drills are completed and properly recorded
• Demonstrates understanding and is proactive regarding STOP program objectives
• Ensure that Daily Stability calculations are performed and that all MODU stability criteria are maintained. This includes keeping a detailed and up to date record showing all Lightship and Daily weight and location changes
• Encourage awareness and actively participate in STOP program
• Attend and participate in all pre-tour, post tour and weekly safety meetings
• Willing to notify direct supervisor of any unsafe acts, safety violations or potential safety violations
• Compliance with Ensco training, certification and competence requirements
• Responsible for assisting the Master in the operation of the MODU in accordance with Ensco policies, standards and procedures, Contractor's requirements and International Regulations
• Ensure MODU is safely navigated and operated in accordance with the Master's Standing Orders and Ensco Management System (EMS)
• In charge of DP operations in accordance with the Masters instructions, manages the DP system in conformity with normal rules of operation, applying all the relevant procedures according to his experience and seamanship
• Ensure weather forecasts are available and conduct proper interpretations in order to take actions to minimize any risk to MODU operations
• Document and implement the established planned preventative maintenance and repair procedures for the MODU's hull, superstructure, and all associated equipment
• Maintain documentation of the safe working procedures for the Marine department
• Ensure Marine Department Personnel are aware of all job related hazards
• As Head of Department for all Marine related aspects is a key component for the proper maintenance of all Life Saving Equipment (Life Boats, Life Rings, Life Vests, Life Rafts, Rescue Boat
• Responsible to review assigned tasks have been properly completed by subordinates
• Ensure a smooth transition during Marine Department crew change
• Keep written hand-over notes to ensure efficient and accurate transfer of information
• Supervise all loading/unloading and transfer of personnel, supplies and equipment
• Ensure that all load-bearing equipment and pressure vessels are maintained, inspected, tested, certified and recorded based on Statuary Regulations and Class requirements
• Have a thorough knowledge of the MODU's Radio communication systems
• Assesses the competencies of direct reports, coaches, mentors, and works with them to enhance required competencies. Conducts performance reviews of direct reports.
• Be familiar with the responsibilities of the Master in the event that the Master is unavailable or otherwise indisposed
• Ensure a Lifting Gear Register as per Ensco Policy is maintained
• Ensure the watertight integrity of the MODU is maintained at all times
• Ensures material and equipment are properly secured for all sea and weather conditions
• Ensure safe helicopter operations are conducted
• Review and update operating procedures, in conjunction with other department heads, to ensure that the MODU's working operations are conducted in such a way that prevents injury to personnel and/or damage to the MODU or equipment. Inform department personnel of any changes in these procedures
• Reviewing Marine Department requisitions and expenditures
• Ensure that unnecessary items are not purchased, and that inventory levels are adequate
• Ensure that commonly used items between departments are not duplicated
• Responsible for supervision of any Third Party Contractors performing work for the Marine Department
Health, Safety, and Environmental Functions:
• Required to be fully conversant and comply with Ensco and Contractor's Health, Safety and Environmental (HSE) Policy and Ensco Safety Management System (EMS)
• Shall work in close cooperation with the Master and the HSE Advisor in maintaining the safety, health, training and welfare of the crew
• Assist the Master to ensure compliance with pollution-prevention requirements. Document discrepancies and immediately inform the Master of these discrepancies. Required to be fully familiar with the MODU's SOPEP, Ballast Water Management and Waste Management Plan. Responsible for implementation of Waste Management Plan and associated documentation
• Ensure that all non-conformities, accidents, incidents, and near misses are documented and reported to the Master
• Performs all duties in accordance with the Safe Systems of Work (SSOW).
• Conduct daily meetings to discuss and inform personnel of safety and general issues concerning the Marine department
Ensco plc brings energy to the world as a global provider of offshore drilling services to the petroleum industry. For more than 27 years, the company has focused on operating safely and going beyond customer expectations. We are the industry leader in customer satisfaction, ranking first for five consecutive years with top honors for 2014 in 10 of 16 categories in an independent industry survey.
Operating one of the world’s newest ultra-deepwater fleets and largest fleets of premium jackups, Ensco has a major presence in the most strategic offshore basins across six continents.
Operating across six continents, our high-quality fleet (existing and under construction) includes 11 drillships, 11 dynamically-positioned semisubmersibles, 3 moored semisubmersibles and 43 premium jackups. In addition, we provide drilling management for 5 customer-owned deepwater rigs. Our rigs have drilled some of the most complex wells in virtually every major offshore basin around the globe.
Our customers are multinational integrated energy companies, national oil companies and independent operators. With safety and operational excellence as our highest priorities, our skilled employees consistently exceed customer expectations, using our proven Safe Systems of Work.
We manage our operations through five regional business units:
- North and South America (excluding Brazil), based in Houston;
- Brazil, based in Macaé;
- Europe and the Mediterranean, based in Aberdeen;
- Middle East and Africa, based in Dubai; and
- Asia and Pacific Rim, based in Singapore.
Ensco is ranked in the Global Top 30 in Rigzone's Ideal Employer Rankings - find out more here.