Experience: 6 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Employment Type: Full Time Salaried Employee
Location: Houston, Texas, United States
No location/work authorization restrictions found.
- Lead the review and functional sign-off for all financial reporting aspects of new business proposals
- (NBP) initiated by the business and affecting Trading entities, primarily (but not limited to) the Crude, Products and LNG businesses in North America which is part of Shell Trading & Supply (T&S). These proposals often have implications in some areas of accounting that are recognized as most complex, e.g. derivatives/financial instruments, special purpose entities, control/consolidations, etc.
- Incumbent will be supporting others in the global Technical/derivative team and more specifically the team in NA on ad hoc basis where this is required for the team to successfully deliver on its objectives
- Collaborate with other reporting teams on NBP to understand the presentation and impact of new proposals on entity metrics
- Connect with others as needed to ensure results from trading system reflect the expected results of accounting conclusions and operational decisions made during NBP assessment.
- Participate in the implementation of new accounting standards / interpretations within Shell Trading globally, and co-ordination of the impacts across Trading entities. This includes communication and discussion of updates to / with Group Reporting, external auditors and senior management.
- Interact and explain accounting concepts to range of stakeholders, including non-finance or non-technical personnel
- Exercise judgment in time pressured accounting conclusions
- Lead or participate in other global accounting projects when required
- Organize and create Financial Accounting trainings, focused on Trading accounting issues including but not limited to disclosures and financial statement presentation. These trainings target audiences like Financial Accounting personnel within the Trading & Supply (T&S) Accounting group and within Financial Operations also supporting T&S, Finance Managers, Risk Control and Credit staff.
- Support finance colleagues in offshore centres in interpreting and applying financial accounting principles
- Act as control owner, responsible for ensuring the ongoing effectiveness of Shell Trading's internal control over financial reporting in accordance with the requirements of SOX 404 for specific controls
- Review the work of others where technical accounting advice is needed, e.g. footnote disclosures at Group level and at statutory reporting level.
- Review monthly journal entries prepared by Derivative Accountant(s).
- Review footnotes for U.S. GAAP statutory financial statements.
- Work with the auditors as necessary to resolve complex audit issues as they arise with proactive communication and collaboration on sensitive subjects
- Mentor/teach other Technical Accountants and Derivative Accountants as needed
- Proactively share information and collaborate with Technical Accounting personnel of other areas in North America and outside of North America to push for consistency in unusual or new situations
- Proactively help the team implement better ways of working within systems, spreadsheets, etc.
Shell is a global group of energy and petrochemicals companies with over 90,000 employees in more than 70 countries and territories. In the US, we have operated for over a century and are a major oil and gas producer onshore and in the Gulf of Mexico, a recognized innovator in exploration and production technology, and a leading manufacturer and marketer of fuels, natural gas and petrochemicals. We deliver energy responsibly; operate safely with respect to our neighbours and work to minimize our environmental impact. We are in search of remarkable people who will thrive in a diverse and inclusive work environment to deliver exciting projects locally and globally. People who are passionate about exploring new frontiers. Innovators and pioneers. People with the drive to help shape our future. Because remarkable people achieve remarkable things.
- Must have legal authorization to work in the U.S. on a full-time basis for company other than current employer
- Bachelor's Degree
- Experienced qualified accountant, with a minimum of six (6+) years post qualification experience
- Previous experience in accounting for Energy Trading preferred
- Proven experience in dealing with technical accounting issues (particularly IAS 39 related)
- Technical accounting advisory experience a strong plus
- Able to think logically and relate theoretical accounting literature to actual commercial Trading activities to reach appropriate conclusions
- Good communication skills as the role involves communication of accounting conclusions to Traders and Senior Management
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) preferred
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date.
Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Royal Dutch/Shell Group companies around the world.
The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand.
Shell participates in E-Verify.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, citizenship, genetic information or other protected status under federal, state or local laws.
Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disability.
Learn More about Shell: Watch their Life at Shell Video