Experience: 2 + Years
Education: High School/Secondary
Location: Houston, Texas, United States
No location/work authorization restrictions found.
The Derrickhand handles tubular goods while working in the derrick. Operates and maintains drilling fluids and pumping system and support the drilling operations under the supervision of the Driller. Service quality, job preparation, planning and safety are key priorities.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Participates in pre-tour and tool-box meetings with all members of the drilling crew.
- Is always fully compliant with the requirements of the QHSE policies, standards, and wears required personal protective equipment (PPE) at all times.
- Completes formal training sessions on QHSE and technical subjects as described by the Company Training matrixes.
- Obtains certifications as required for duties assigned.
- Is aware of environment aspects at all times.
- Maintains all equipment in good and safe working order according to standards and reports any problem or deviations.
TECHNICAL & OPERATIONS
- Prepare for and trip pipe
- Work in the derrick while tripping the drill string (i.e. pull out of hole, run in hole)
- When applicable, operate pipe-handling machine to lay-down, pick-up and stand back drill pipe.
- Monitor mud pumps.
- Maintain and repair mud pumps and related equipment.
- Operate, maintain and repair gate valves associated with the mud system.
- Operate and service transfer (butterfly) valves in mud pits.
- Operate and maintain chemical mixing pumps and equipment.
- Operate, maintain and repair mud conditioning and solids control equipment.
- Mix drilling fluids and chemicals.
- Inspect and perform routine maintenance of derrick and connected equipment.
- Watch for mud returns.
- Assist in running and cementing of casing, mainly working at casing stabbing board.
- Assist Driller on drill floor.
- Stand by in pump room / pump area in emergency situation.
- Supervise Floorhands as per Driller direction.
- Maintain daily log of drilling fluid properties.
- Calculate pit volumes.
- Test drilling fluids for basic properties.
- Advise supervisor of all current conditions and of any change's.
- Recognize warning signs of kick
Qualifications and Experience:
- Minimum 2 years field experience with similar equipment as Assistant Driller or Derrickhand, on a land drilling rig.
- Learns quickly and adapts to new problems and situations
- Is a relentless and versatile learner
- Pursues everything with energy, drive and a need to finish
- Uses logic to solve problems with effective solutions
- Is personally committed to continuous improvement
- Listens and is able to communicate effectively with supervisors and peers.
- Candidates must be able to legally work and reside in the US, without sponsorship.
Schlumberger is an equal employment opportunity employer. Qualified applicants are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
Schlumberger is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor-priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
A tradition of excellence and innovation
We’re the world’s leading provider of integrated pore-to-pipeline technology solutions to the oil and gas industry. We’re also a leading employer in our sector—with a reputation for hiring the best and the brightest people and keeping them at the top of their game through rewarding career-long development opportunities.
Each day, in 85 countries, we help our customers find and produce oil and gas in ways that demonstrate respect for both people and the environment. Today’s industry challenges call for new ideas, techniques, and solutions. If you want to drive your career and want to grow with a company that’s embraced new ways of thinking since 1927, we may have the career for you.
Schlumberger is ranked in the Global Top 10 in Rigzone's Ideal Employer Rankings - find out more here.