Skills: Facilities Engineer
Experience: 2 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Richmond, California, United States
No location/work authorization restrictions found.
Chevron is one of the world's leading energy companies, with approximately 60,000 employees working in countries around the world. We explore, produce and transport crude oil and natural gas; refine, market and distribute fuels and other energy products; manufacture and sell petrochemical products; generate power; and develop future energy resources, including biofuels and geothermal energy.
Chevron is accepting online applications for the position of West Coast Engineer located in Richmond , CA California /United States.
Chevron is one of the world's leading energy companies, with approximately 60,000 employees working in countries around the world. We explore, produce and transport crude oil and natural gas; refine, market and distribute fuels and other energy products; manufacture and sell petrochemical products; generate power; and develop future energy resources, including biofuels and geothermal energy. To learn more, visit the Explore Chevron website.
Chevron is accepting online applications for the position of West Coast Engineer located in Richmond, CA through September 27th at 11:59 p.m. (Eastern Standard Time).
This is a Technical Operations position, responsible for performing project engineering duties to improve plant manufacturing performance, reduce costs, improve processes, and assist in equipment maintenance and reliability to meet or exceed business performance metrics.
The West Coast Engineer will work primarily on capital projects requiring civil, mechanical and process control expertise and effective scoping, scheduling, and budgeting; ensuring systems, processes, and equipment operate effectively, efficiently and safely.
Responsibilities for this position may include but are not limited to:
- Execution of capital and major operating expense budget plans at three (3) Facilities – 2 in California; 1 in Oregon; identifying, prioritizing and developing projects that support facility objectives and strategies
- Working directly with first Line Operation Supervisors, Maintenance Supervisors, Procurement Supervisors, and Operations Managers to develop a broad range of both tactical (day-to-day) and strategic (longer term) activities to support Operations and manage a portfolio of CAPEX and COPEX projects.
- Providing Project pre-implementation and post-implementation technical support to various functional activities which include IT system installation and repairs, building construction, tank and vessel cleaning, tank upgrades, pipeline repairs, equipment upgrades, hazard surveys, corrosion surveys, and shut-down 'turnaround' support (planning and execution).
- Identifying and implementing process automation improvements to streamline work, improve operability and quality, and reduce costs.
- Resolving problems and troubleshooting production systems; assisting with root cause failure analysis
- Contributing ideas to improve overall operational efficiency and safety systems of the facilities
- Work with Corporate Engineering and IT in the development of economics of larger and more complex plant seismic, civil, structural and process control network/electrical projects to support all North America facilities.
Project Management and Cost Control:
- Manage portfolio of major, medium and small projects of varying complexities using Chevron Project Development and Execution Process (CPDEP), Operation Excellence (OE) and Capital Stewardship Organizational Capability (CSOC) principals through commissioning to turnover in CPDEP Phase 5 for three facilities: Richmond, CA, Willbridge, OR, El Segundo, CA.
- Capture high-level business requirements in context to specific business strategies, goals and objectives allowing an initial set of solution alternatives to be identified (CPDEP Phases 1 and 2)
- Support and provide constructability and field execution input during CPDEP Phases 1-3.
- Review and endorse/approve project critical documents such as appropriation packages, technical drawings, contracts, purchase orders, project execution plans, project schedules, cost estimates, expenditure forecasts, safety management plans, and CPDEP decision support package documents.
Business Planning and Budgeting:
- Assist Operations Managers in development and preparation of annual capital and operating expense budgets; collaborating to develop initiatives to control expenses and strategies for multi-year business plans and budgets
- Monitor all aspects of project costs to assure attainment of cost objectives through innovation and controlled spending.
- Accountable for cost management/cost reporting; updating/revising plans to reflect progress.
- Provide cost estimates and economic justifications for plant alterations/additions with the assistance of the respective supervisors involved.
Procurement, Contracting, and Contractor Management:
- Develop contracting/procurement strategies that comply with business requirements; plans must anticipate contracting cycle times.
- Prepare, present and seek approval of all contracting plans, bid packages and bidders lists. Actively engage with Global Lubricants and Americas Supply Chain (SC) Procurement, and Finance to execute contracting process including all steps required to present and gain approval at the prequalification, technical and commercial stages.
- Manage and administer the contract through execution and closeout phases including obtaining multiple approvals for Service Orders, Work Permit Authorizations and Change Orders.
- Enforce contract adherence, to terms and conditions, QA/QC, scheduling and reporting, including Appropriate for Expenditure (AFE) charges and cost control.
- Identify and secure the necessary resources for project execution.
- Review and approve work plans, Simultaneous Operations (SIMOPS), Shut-in Plans and detailed work execution plans for construction. Plan and implement Contractor Safety Management Plans
- Work with numerous groups (Operations, SCM, Procurement Operations, HES, etc.) to enable mobilization and execution of the scopes of work under the contract.
- Manage field material purchasing and expediting
- Perform Contractor Health, Environmental & Safety Management activities
- B.S. Degree in Mechanical, Chemical or related engineering discipline
- Experience in the oil and chemical industry; preferably in a chemical/petrochemical/refinery plant
- Experience with Microsoft Project, VISIO, AutoCAD, Auto Desk
- Must be able to read and interpret drawings, blueprints, schematics and electrical code specifications to determine layout of industrial mechanical and electrical equipment installations, logic drawings, electrical drawings, vendor's installation/user manuals
- Knowledge of the standard methods, principles, practices, tools and equipment of manufacturing facilities, mechanical equipment design and operation, pneumatics, hydraulics and electronic control systems
- Knowledge of Process Safety Management (PSM) and management of change procedures
- Strong computer skills – Microsoft products. Leverages software tools such as SAP, MS Excel, MS Word, MS PowerPoint, MS SharePoint, Internet Explorer
- Strong self-starter, works without close supervision.
- Strong leadership skills, detailed knowledge of manufacturing work processes
- Strong communicator: clear, concise, understandable both orally and in writing. Comfortable and competent facilitating meetings or presentations in a one on one or group setting.
- Willing and able to travel domestically, 25% of the time; work weekends on assigned work schedule.
- Ability to successfully complete a post-offer/pre-placement drug and alcohol screening, background check, physical, functional capacity examination, as well as pre-placement verification of the information and qualifications provided.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience with Automation/DCS/PLC projects (start-up and commissioning of medium to large integrated systems)
- Advanced knowledge with industrial engineering, project management and implementation, and Lean Sigma methodologies
- Demonstrated proficiency in PLC operation, communication protocols and industry operating standards (NEC, NFPA)
- Experience selecting and specifying instrumentation & control valves for process control
- Familiar with collective bargaining activities and contractual agreements with labor unions
- Considerable knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions of manufacturing facilities
- Performance/Achievement: Sets high standards of performance for self
- Teamwork: Fosters cooperation and collaboration among individuals in a work unit.
- Ability to perform multiple tasks, manage time effectively, and work with minimal supervision.
- Relocation may be considered within Chevron parameters.
- Expatriate assignments will not be considered.
Chevron regrets that it is unable to sponsor employment Visas or consider individuals on time-limited Visa status for this position.
Regulatory Disclosure for US Positions:Chevron is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status, or other status protected by law or regulation. Chevron participates in E-Verify in certain locations as required by law.
Nearest Major Market: San Francisco
Nearest Secondary Market: Oakland
Chevron is one of the world’s leading integrated energy companies. Our success is driven by our people and their commitment to get results the right way – by operating responsibly, executing with excellence, applying innovative technologies and capturing new opportunities for profitable growth. Some of our specialties include generating power and produce geothermal energy; investing in profitable renewable energy and energy efficiency solutions; and developing the energy resources of the future, including researching advanced biofuels.
Our diverse and highly skilled workforce consists of approximately 64,700 employees, including more than 3,200 service station employees. At Chevron, we’re focused on safely delivering the energy needed to power human and economic progress worldwide. But how do we do that when harnessing fossil fuels can be inherently risky? To meet these challenges, Chevron has spent more than 20 years expanding systems that support a culture of safety and environmental stewardship that strives to achieve unequaled performance and prevent all serious incidents and fatalities. We call this Operational Excellence, and it drives everything we do.
Diversity & Inclusion
We’re committed to reflecting in our workforce the rich diversity of cultures and racial and ethnic backgrounds in the communities where we live and work. We’re also devoted to encouraging a diversity of ideas.
Diversity is one of the cornerstones of our values, which we call The Chevron Way. The Chevron Way states:
“We learn from and respect the cultures in which we work. We value and demonstrate respect for the uniqueness of individuals and the varied perspectives and talents they provide. We have an inclusive work environment and actively embrace a diversity of people, ideas, talents and experiences.”
As a core value, diversity is critical to developing a talented, high-performing workforce needed for ongoing business success. The Chevron Way’s focus on people has helped establish a culture that attracts, develops and retains more diverse talent.
We Support Career & Personal Development
We value the importance of managing work/life priorities by offering flexible work schedules, on-site child care at some facilities, adoption assistance, dual-career couple support, scholarships and tuition reimbursement.
At Chevron, you’ll find a workplace committed to your professional development. You’ll receive support and tools to create your own career path, including education assistance support which pays up to 75% of the cost (including tuition, textbooks, lab fees, and registration and administration fees) for approved courses. To strengthen organizational capability, we develop our employees’ and contractors’ skills and experience through our Invest in People strategy. As part of this strategy, discussions focused on continually improving individual performance are held between managers and employees.
Chevron is ranked in the Global Top 10 in Rigzone's Ideal Employer Rankings - find out more here.