Experience: 8 + Years
Education: Masters Degree
Location: Houston, Texas, United States
No location/work authorization restrictions found.
Chevron is one of the world's leading energy companies, with approximately 60,000 employees working in countries around the world. We explore, produce and transport crude oil and natural gas; refine, market and distribute fuels and other energy products; manufacture and sell petrochemical products; generate power; and develop future energy resources, including biofuels and geothermal energy.
Chevron is accepting online applications for the position of Counsel/Senior Counsel located in Houston, TX through October 1, 2018 at 11:59 p.m. (Eastern Standard Time).
The Senior Counsel or Counsel position is based in Houston in the Downstream, Chemicals & Midstream (DCM) Law Department. The lawyers in this group provide commercial, business and transactional legal support for Chevron’s multi-billion dollar refining and marketing operations in the Americas. Major clients include Manufacturing (which operates 4 U.S. refineries), Americas Products (which manages Downstream fuels marketing business) and specialty businesses such as Oronite, Chevron Lubricants, Technology Marketing (TEMA), and joint ventures such as Chevron Phillips Chemical Company. The position reports to the Supervising Counsel, Americas Products.
Responsibilities for this position may include but are not limited to:
- Advise on all legal issues in the course of DC&M’s business activities relating to Retail and Commercial & Industrial Fuels Marketing in Central America and Mexico
- Manage governance issues for country-specific entities
- Act as an advisor to or member of commercial teams advising on a broad range of legal issues, draft and negotiate significant supply and other commercial agreements, manage legal and commercial risks, ensure Chevron's interests are protected and advanced, and provide client teams with ongoing, project-related advice and counsel on legal issues, contract terms, corporate policies, and claims
- Work closely with Chevron's subject matter experts in tax, HR, finance, intellectual property, compliance, environmental, insurance and project management to integrate commercial agreements within a comprehensive risk management structure
- Provide advice and advocacy to business clients on a daily basis by interpreting laws, rulings and regulations, analyze probable outcomes based on legal precedents, develop strategies and evaluate findings
- Represent DC&M Law on assigned projects and demonstrate an ability to quickly and effectively learn and advise on hydrocarbon regulatory framework and broad array of legal issues in an emerging market
- Coordinate with outside counsel to obtain country-specific opinions when needed
- Assist with compliance investigations
- Provide client training and instruction on various aspects of the law including: contracting, compliance and antitrust
- Demonstrate excellence in teamwork, collaboration and information sharing with clients, colleagues and throughout the Law Department
- Communicate clearly, simply and directly. Provide timely and fit-for-purpose reports to business clients and law management
- Provide work direction to and performance feedback for supporting legal analysts
- Achieve excellent, cost effective results through strategic matter management that emphasizes the attorney's own representation of the client, with judicious, effective use and management of outside counsel when appropriate
- Create and maintain the highest level of client confidence and satisfaction, excellent communication and professionalism
- Maintain advanced expertise in the attorney's legal field of responsibility, participate with other in-house personnel and with industry associations in managing, and provide constructive input to governmental bodies on, legislative and regulatory issues, cooperate with and assisting the other members of DC&M Law to increase their expertise and the professional reputation of the group as a whole
- Juris Doctorate required and admitted to practice law in a U.S. state or the District of Columbia or able to comply with requirements for in-house counsel
- Spanish language fluency (written and oral)
- At least 8 years of transactional legal experience
- Experience managing matters subject to Latin American civil law systems. High ethical standards and ability to maintain strict confidentiality.
- Demonstrated excellent written and oral communication skills
- Demonstrated experience collaborating with business clients, other in-house counsel, outside counsel and support staff
- Excellent client relationship skills. This position will require up to 20% domestic and international travel.
- Must be a highly motivated self-starter, with a demonstrated ability to learn quickly, capable of working productively in a fast-paced team environment
- Downstream oil and gas industry experience
- Demonstrated leadership capability
- Engineering, scientific or other technical background
Relocation may be considered within Chevron parameters. *LI-RH1
Expatriate assignments will not be considered.
Chevron regrets that it is unable to sponsor employment Visas or consider individuals on time-limited Visa status for this position.Regulatory Disclosure for US Positions:Chevron is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status, or other status protected by law or regulation. Chevron participates in E-Verify in certain locations as required by law.
Nearest Major Market: Houston
Chevron is one of the world’s leading integrated energy companies. Our success is driven by our people and their commitment to get results the right way – by operating responsibly, executing with excellence, applying innovative technologies and capturing new opportunities for profitable growth. Some of our specialties include generating power and produce geothermal energy; investing in profitable renewable energy and energy efficiency solutions; and developing the energy resources of the future, including researching advanced biofuels.
Our diverse and highly skilled workforce consists of approximately 64,700 employees, including more than 3,200 service station employees. At Chevron, we’re focused on safely delivering the energy needed to power human and economic progress worldwide. But how do we do that when harnessing fossil fuels can be inherently risky? To meet these challenges, Chevron has spent more than 20 years expanding systems that support a culture of safety and environmental stewardship that strives to achieve unequaled performance and prevent all serious incidents and fatalities. We call this Operational Excellence, and it drives everything we do.
Diversity & Inclusion
We’re committed to reflecting in our workforce the rich diversity of cultures and racial and ethnic backgrounds in the communities where we live and work. We’re also devoted to encouraging a diversity of ideas.
Diversity is one of the cornerstones of our values, which we call The Chevron Way. The Chevron Way states:
“We learn from and respect the cultures in which we work. We value and demonstrate respect for the uniqueness of individuals and the varied perspectives and talents they provide. We have an inclusive work environment and actively embrace a diversity of people, ideas, talents and experiences.”
As a core value, diversity is critical to developing a talented, high-performing workforce needed for ongoing business success. The Chevron Way’s focus on people has helped establish a culture that attracts, develops and retains more diverse talent.
We Support Career & Personal Development
We value the importance of managing work/life priorities by offering flexible work schedules, on-site child care at some facilities, adoption assistance, dual-career couple support, scholarships and tuition reimbursement.
At Chevron, you’ll find a workplace committed to your professional development. You’ll receive support and tools to create your own career path, including education assistance support which pays up to 75% of the cost (including tuition, textbooks, lab fees, and registration and administration fees) for approved courses. To strengthen organizational capability, we develop our employees’ and contractors’ skills and experience through our Invest in People strategy. As part of this strategy, discussions focused on continually improving individual performance are held between managers and employees.
Chevron is ranked in the Global Top 10 in Rigzone's Ideal Employer Rankings - find out more here.