Cork, County Cork, Ireland
Cork, County Cork, Ireland
Experience: 18 + Years
Education: Tech/Vocational Cert/Apprenticeship
Location: Cork, County Cork, Ireland
No location/work authorization restrictions found.
Chevron is accepting online applications for the position of Engine Cadet for our International Fleet of vessels through 30th September 2018.
Chevron Shipping Company transports crude oil, refined products, liquefied petroleum gas and liquefied natural gas (LNG) for Chevron customers worldwide. Our fleet includes U.S. and International vessels. Our International fleet trades worldwide including the Middle East, Southeast Asia, the Black Sea, South America, Mexico and West Africa, the United States, Europe, Australia and Asia.
The Engine Cadet will learn and perform the duties and responsibilities of the Engineer Officer in a safe and professional manner and in accordance with all applicable rules and regulations. The Primary focus for cadets will be their own safety and the safety of those around them. Cadets will also focus on watch keeping duties and routines, familiarization regarding repair, maintenance, and construction of applicable machinery and elements of automation and electrical engineering under a licensed engineering officer to become eligible to become a qualified licensed officer.
The Engine Cadet will also become familiar with matters of administration and organization within the engine department and on the vessel as a whole.
Cadets are expected to be proactive with their approach to operations on board and seek out opportunities for their own growth and development.
Pre-sponsorship requirements consist of:
- Background check
- Functional capacity evaluation
- Seafarer’s Medical Examination
- Required Vaccinations
- Valid Passport
- DOT drug testing & Non-DOT hair drug test
Requirements during sponsorship (before first vessel assignment) consist of:
- US C1/D Visa
- Australian MCV
- Seaman’s Book
- Required STCW Courses
- Successfully completing college phase.
Being a Chevron Cadet is only the beginning…
At Chevron Shipping we recruit cadets based on our long-term plans. Many of our officers spend their careers at sea and advance to Captain or Chief Engineer. Some opt for a shore side position as support staff member. As part of shore side team, you have lots of opportunity to put to work the skills you honed at sea. Whichever route you pursue, we can offer you a thoroughly rewarding career that’s a mix of what you’re good at, what you like to do, and what our business needs.
Responsibilities for this position may include but are not limited to:
- Participate in company programs such as Near Miss Reporting, Safety and Environmental Management System (SEMS), Mariner Development System (Compass), and any other onboard training and compliance programs.
- Proactively engage the officers and crew aboard to benefit professional knowledge and development.
- Perform all engineering duties aboard ship under supervision of a licensed engine officer.
- Gain a thorough knowledge of equipment maintenance, watchkeeping, tracing and learning the various systems onboard (fuel, ballast, cargo, hydraulic, and pneumatic lines, pumps, cranes, winches, generators, purifiers, HVAC, refrigerant units, ODM, etc.).
- Participate in engineering watches to learn watchkeeping requirements as directed by the Training Engineering Officer.
- Assist in all engineering related tasks both operational and maintenance.
- Complete Cadet Training Record Book tasks and projects in a timely manner and in good order.
- Active and positive participant in all safety meetings.
- Point out unsafe acts or conditions to everyone on board.
- Stops work if unsafe conditions or practices are uncovered.
- Able to participate in an Emergency Response team.
- Be effective in relating to others.
- Able to work well under pressure.
- Maintain an appropriate demeanor and appearance.
- Minimum two Higher/A Levels.
- Minimum age of 18 years old before first sea phase.