Skills: Safety Engineering
Experience: 5 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Houston, Texas, United States
No location/work authorization restrictions found.
Chevron is one of the world's leading energy companies, with approximately 60,000 employees working in countries around the world. We explore, produce and transport crude oil and natural gas; refine, market and distribute fuels and other energy products; manufacture and sell petrochemical products; generate power; and develop future energy resources, including biofuels and geothermal energy.
Chevron is accepting online applications for the position of ETC - Industrial Safety Innovation Engineer located in Houston, TX or San Ramon, CA through October 29, 2018 at 11:59 p.m. (Eastern Standard Time).
As an Industrial Safety Innovation Engineer within Chevron’s Energy Technology Company, you will work with the Health and Workforce Safety Unit to drive the identification, development and deployment of new digital solutions and safety technology to prevent serious incidents and fatalities in the oil and gas industry.
- Interact directly with business unit customers to identify new approaches for reducing risks, and/or improve mitigation safeguards for safety critical tasks. Review equipment and job tasks to identify areas where there is a high likelihood of human error and identify solutions that optimize the operator’s performance.
- Contribute to the identification, and development of new and emerging technologies in the oil & gas industry, related to workforce health and safety by adapting and leveraging advancements in areas such as:
- 3D visualization technology (e.g., augmented reality, virtual reality)
- Robotics and automated systems
- Unmanned aerial vehicles
- Real time data analytics
- Wearable devices
- Initiate and lead multi-disciplinary project teams to identify, design, develop, and deploy HES technology for piloting and field testing and rapidly iterate based on outcomes.
- Project management includes high technical ability for design, selection of team members, budget management, cost estimating and accountability for deliverables.
- Aspects of projects include working collaboratively with partners in upstream and downstream business units.
- Contribute to the development and review/update of technical standards pertaining to workforce safety.
- Interpret regulatory requirements and conduct facility reviews for safety engineering issues (such as fall protection design, confined space ventilation plans, lifting and rigging support, machine guarding, etc.).
- Remain current with emerging issues and regulatory changes to identify any potential impact to our industry.
- Understand and implement the technical aspects of Managing Safe Work, control of work, and related Safe Work Practices in operations and projects.
- Bachelor’s degree in safety or engineering discipline required; Master’s or PHD in safety or engineering discipline preferred.
- Willingness to travel up to 20%, including internationally.
- 5 years of oil and gas or petrochemical experience preferred
- CSP or equivalent certification preferred.
- Awareness of industrial ergonomics and/or human factors principles.
- Passion for monitoring technology trends, experimenting with and learning new technologies. Appetite to evaluate and prototype with early stage technology sourced from the external market.
- Ability to use logic and reasoning to problem solve, seek and evaluate potential solutions and make data driven recommendations. Ability to determine how a system should work and how changes in conditions, operations and the environment will affect outcomes. Ability to identify measures or indicators of systems performance and the actions needed to improve or correct performance relative to the goals of the system.
- Ability to think customer-first and effectively prioritize and pivot as required.
- Lead and work effectively as part of a team (including internal personnel, external researchers, and consultants), work collaboratively with peers, coach and mentor others on workforce safety technical issues and strategies to integrate practical solutions.
- Applies project management tools to create project plans and execute with excellence.
- Exceptional written, verbal communication, and presentation skills.
- Ability to understand regulatory and compliance requirements and influence both internal and external stakeholders.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with workforce safety/safety engineering, practices and processes.
- Demonstrated understanding and implementation of relevant OSHA, equivalent safety regulations/best practices.
Critical Selection Criteria:
- Leadership and Teamwork - Lead and work effectively as part of a team, work collaboratively with peers, coach and mentor others on workforce safety technical issues and strategies to integrate practical solutions.
- Communication - Demonstrated strong communication and interpersonal skills. Ability to understand regulatory and compliance requirements and influence both internal and external stakeholders. Demonstrated ability to engage and influence stakeholders for projects.
- Problem Solving and Creativity/Innovation – Uses information and technical expertise to identify problems requiring solutions and leverages technology to strategically identify and develop solutions. Applies project management tools to create project plans and execute with excellence.
- Technical Knowledge and Skills – Demonstrated knowledge and experience with workforce safety/safety engineering, practices and processes. Able to identify and align work with fatality prevention strategies that impact workforce safety. Demonstrated understanding and implementation of relevant OSHA, equivalent safety regulations/best practices and Chevron requirements.
Relocation will be considered within Chevron parameters.
Expatriate assignments will not be considered.
Chevron regrets that it is unable to sponsor employment Visas or consider individuals on time-limited Visa status for this position.
Regulatory Disclosure for US Positions:
Chevron is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status, or other status protected by law or regulation.
Chevron participates in E-Verify in certain locations as required by law.
Nearest Major Market: Houston
Chevron is one of the world’s leading integrated energy companies. Our success is driven by our people and their commitment to get results the right way – by operating responsibly, executing with excellence, applying innovative technologies and capturing new opportunities for profitable growth. Some of our specialties include generating power and produce geothermal energy; investing in profitable renewable energy and energy efficiency solutions; and developing the energy resources of the future, including researching advanced biofuels.
Our diverse and highly skilled workforce consists of approximately 64,700 employees, including more than 3,200 service station employees. At Chevron, we’re focused on safely delivering the energy needed to power human and economic progress worldwide. But how do we do that when harnessing fossil fuels can be inherently risky? To meet these challenges, Chevron has spent more than 20 years expanding systems that support a culture of safety and environmental stewardship that strives to achieve unequaled performance and prevent all serious incidents and fatalities. We call this Operational Excellence, and it drives everything we do.
Diversity & Inclusion
We’re committed to reflecting in our workforce the rich diversity of cultures and racial and ethnic backgrounds in the communities where we live and work. We’re also devoted to encouraging a diversity of ideas.
Diversity is one of the cornerstones of our values, which we call The Chevron Way. The Chevron Way states:
“We learn from and respect the cultures in which we work. We value and demonstrate respect for the uniqueness of individuals and the varied perspectives and talents they provide. We have an inclusive work environment and actively embrace a diversity of people, ideas, talents and experiences.”
As a core value, diversity is critical to developing a talented, high-performing workforce needed for ongoing business success. The Chevron Way’s focus on people has helped establish a culture that attracts, develops and retains more diverse talent.
We Support Career & Personal Development
We value the importance of managing work/life priorities by offering flexible work schedules, on-site child care at some facilities, adoption assistance, dual-career couple support, scholarships and tuition reimbursement.
At Chevron, you’ll find a workplace committed to your professional development. You’ll receive support and tools to create your own career path, including education assistance support which pays up to 75% of the cost (including tuition, textbooks, lab fees, and registration and administration fees) for approved courses. To strengthen organizational capability, we develop our employees’ and contractors’ skills and experience through our Invest in People strategy. As part of this strategy, discussions focused on continually improving individual performance are held between managers and employees.
Chevron is ranked in the Global Top 10 in Rigzone's Ideal Employer Rankings - find out more here.