Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Richmond, California, United States
No location/work authorization restrictions found.
Chevron is one of the world's leading energy companies, with approximately 60,000 employees working in countries around the world. We explore, produce and transport crude oil and natural gas; refine, market and distribute fuels and other energy products; manufacture and sell petrochemical products; generate power; and develop future energy resources, including biofuels and geothermal energy.
Chevron is accepting online applications for the position of Intellectual Property Analyst located in Richmond, CA through September 21, 2018 at 11:59 p.m. (Eastern Standard Time).
The IP Analyst supports the achievement of incident-free operation in Oronite’s component and product change management processes and improves innovation in the Oronite patenting process. The Analyst has primary responsibility for monitoring competitive patent art relevant to Oronite’s business and works with business, legal and technical personnel to ensure that there is no unacceptable competitive patent risk in commercializing new components, processes and products. The Analyst supports Oronite’s own patenting activities by working with inventors and patent attorneys to define the scope of potential inventions. Depending upon the level of expertise, the Analyst may participate in the drafting and negotiation of technology agreements and review proposed technical publications.
- Performing patent Freedom to Operate (FtO) Analyses.
- Enhancing Oronite patenting efforts by performing patentability searches, working with inventors to develop invention disclosures, and working with attorneys to develop patent strategies.
- Developing arguments for attorneys with respect to patent infringement and validity opinions.
- Supporting internal patent monitoring systems.
- Ph.D. in chemistry or Petroleum Engineering OR equivalent experience with a Bachelors Degree in Chemistry or Petroleum Engineering
- Ability to logically analyze the literal language of patents, understand patent claims, understand contract language, and apply the analysis to proposed products, processes, and the broader business.
- Ability to work collaboratively and cooperatively with technical, legal and business individuals in a team environment under tight deadlines to meet business goals.
- Ability to communicate effectively (clear, concise, accurate) both orally and in writing.
- Ability to work up to 6 hours/day in a computer-based environment and employ computer-based tools.
- Working knowledge of intellectual property law and/or contract law, to the level of having been involved in the drafting of patent applications or technology agreements.
- Knowledge of oil field chemicals including chemicals for enhanced oil recovery and frac fluids.
- Knowledge of computer/database programming.
Relocation may be considered within Chevron parameters.
Expatriate assignments will not be considered.
Chevron regrets that it is unable to sponsor employment Visas or consider individuals on time-limited Visa status for this position.
Regulatory Disclosure for US Positions:
Chevron is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status, or other status protected by law or regulation.
Chevron participates in E-Verify in certain locations as required by law.
Nearest Major Market: San Francisco
Nearest Secondary Market: Oakland
Chevron is one of the world’s leading integrated energy companies. Our success is driven by our people and their commitment to get results the right way – by operating responsibly, executing with excellence, applying innovative technologies and capturing new opportunities for profitable growth. Some of our specialties include generating power and produce geothermal energy; investing in profitable renewable energy and energy efficiency solutions; and developing the energy resources of the future, including researching advanced biofuels.
Our diverse and highly skilled workforce consists of approximately 64,700 employees, including more than 3,200 service station employees. At Chevron, we’re focused on safely delivering the energy needed to power human and economic progress worldwide. But how do we do that when harnessing fossil fuels can be inherently risky? To meet these challenges, Chevron has spent more than 20 years expanding systems that support a culture of safety and environmental stewardship that strives to achieve unequaled performance and prevent all serious incidents and fatalities. We call this Operational Excellence, and it drives everything we do.
Diversity & Inclusion
We’re committed to reflecting in our workforce the rich diversity of cultures and racial and ethnic backgrounds in the communities where we live and work. We’re also devoted to encouraging a diversity of ideas.
Diversity is one of the cornerstones of our values, which we call The Chevron Way. The Chevron Way states:
“We learn from and respect the cultures in which we work. We value and demonstrate respect for the uniqueness of individuals and the varied perspectives and talents they provide. We have an inclusive work environment and actively embrace a diversity of people, ideas, talents and experiences.”
As a core value, diversity is critical to developing a talented, high-performing workforce needed for ongoing business success. The Chevron Way’s focus on people has helped establish a culture that attracts, develops and retains more diverse talent.
We Support Career & Personal Development
We value the importance of managing work/life priorities by offering flexible work schedules, on-site child care at some facilities, adoption assistance, dual-career couple support, scholarships and tuition reimbursement.
At Chevron, you’ll find a workplace committed to your professional development. You’ll receive support and tools to create your own career path, including education assistance support which pays up to 75% of the cost (including tuition, textbooks, lab fees, and registration and administration fees) for approved courses. To strengthen organizational capability, we develop our employees’ and contractors’ skills and experience through our Invest in People strategy. As part of this strategy, discussions focused on continually improving individual performance are held between managers and employees.
Chevron is ranked in the Global Top 10 in Rigzone's Ideal Employer Rankings - find out more here.