Experience: 8 + Years
Education: High School/Secondary
Location: San Ramon, California, United States
In order to apply for this position, applicants MUST meet the following criteria. If your resume does not match these criteria, you will not be able to apply for this position.
Chevron is one of the world's leading energy companies, with approximately 60,000 employees working in countries around the world. We explore, produce and transport crude oil and natural gas; refine, market and distribute fuels and other energy products; manufacture and sell petrochemical products; generate power; and develop future energy resources, including biofuels and geothermal energy.
Chevron is accepting online applications for the position of Counsel/Senior Counsel located in San Ramon, CA through September 18, 2018 at 11:59 p.m. (Eastern Standard Time).
The Senior Counsel or Counsel position is based in San Ramon in the Downstream, Chemicals and Midstream (DCM) Law Department supporting the Americas. The lawyers in this group provide a complete array of legal services in connection with negotiation, drafting and advocacy on transactions and projects and they work closely with law management, business clients and outside counsel. They provide legal support to all Downstream & Chemicals companies within the Americas. The position reports to General Counsel, Downstream Americas, Shipping and Pipeline.
Responsibilities for this position may include but are not limited to:
- Plan and arrange legal services, and advise on all legal issues in the course of DS&C’s business activities relating to: U.S. Manufacturing and Procurement
- Draft and review complicated and lengthy commercial contracts/transactions, negotiating favorable terms and conditions and making sure they adhere to both legal and corporate standards
- Provide advice and advocacy to business clients on a daily basis by interpreting laws, rulings and regulations, analyzing probable outcomes based on legal precedents, developing strategies and evaluating findings
- Provide client training and instruction on various aspects of the law including contracting, compliance and antitrust
- Demonstrate excellence in teamwork, collaboration and information sharing with clients, colleagues and throughout the Law Department
- Communicate clearly, simply and directly. Provide timely and fit-for-purpose reports to business clients and law management.
- Represent the global DCM Law Department on assigned projects
- Develop contracting plans and effectively manage legal and commercial risks
- Juris Doctorate required and licensed or otherwise authorized to practice law in California
- At least 8 years of transactional legal experience
- High ethical standards and ability to maintain strict confidentially
- Demonstrated excellent written and oral communication skills
- Excellent client relationship skills
- Demonstrated experience collaborating with business clients, other in-house. counsel, outside counsel and support staff
- This position will require up to 60% travel, mostly domestic
- Must be a highly motivated self-starter, with a demonstrated ability to learn quickly, capable of working productively in a fast-paced team environment
- Downstream oil and gas industry experience
- Detailed knowledge of the refinery business and other downstream businesses
Relocation may be considered within Chevron parameters.
Expatriate assignments will not be considered.
Chevron regrets that it is unable to sponsor employment Visas or consider individuals on time-limited Visa status for this position.Regulatory Disclosure for US Positions:Chevron is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status, or other status protected by law or regulation. Chevron participates in E-Verify in certain locations as required by law.
Nearest Major Market: San Francisco
Nearest Secondary Market: Oakland
Chevron is one of the world’s leading integrated energy companies. Our success is driven by our people and their commitment to get results the right way – by operating responsibly, executing with excellence, applying innovative technologies and capturing new opportunities for profitable growth. Some of our specialties include generating power and produce geothermal energy; investing in profitable renewable energy and energy efficiency solutions; and developing the energy resources of the future, including researching advanced biofuels.
Our diverse and highly skilled workforce consists of approximately 64,700 employees, including more than 3,200 service station employees. At Chevron, we’re focused on safely delivering the energy needed to power human and economic progress worldwide. But how do we do that when harnessing fossil fuels can be inherently risky? To meet these challenges, Chevron has spent more than 20 years expanding systems that support a culture of safety and environmental stewardship that strives to achieve unequaled performance and prevent all serious incidents and fatalities. We call this Operational Excellence, and it drives everything we do.
Diversity & Inclusion
We’re committed to reflecting in our workforce the rich diversity of cultures and racial and ethnic backgrounds in the communities where we live and work. We’re also devoted to encouraging a diversity of ideas.
Diversity is one of the cornerstones of our values, which we call The Chevron Way. The Chevron Way states:
“We learn from and respect the cultures in which we work. We value and demonstrate respect for the uniqueness of individuals and the varied perspectives and talents they provide. We have an inclusive work environment and actively embrace a diversity of people, ideas, talents and experiences.”
As a core value, diversity is critical to developing a talented, high-performing workforce needed for ongoing business success. The Chevron Way’s focus on people has helped establish a culture that attracts, develops and retains more diverse talent.
We Support Career & Personal Development
We value the importance of managing work/life priorities by offering flexible work schedules, on-site child care at some facilities, adoption assistance, dual-career couple support, scholarships and tuition reimbursement.
At Chevron, you’ll find a workplace committed to your professional development. You’ll receive support and tools to create your own career path, including education assistance support which pays up to 75% of the cost (including tuition, textbooks, lab fees, and registration and administration fees) for approved courses. To strengthen organizational capability, we develop our employees’ and contractors’ skills and experience through our Invest in People strategy. As part of this strategy, discussions focused on continually improving individual performance are held between managers and employees.
Chevron is ranked in the Global Top 10 in Rigzone's Ideal Employer Rankings - find out more here.