Skills: Technical Manager
Experience: 15 + Years
Education: Tech/Vocational Cert/Apprenticeship
Location: Milnerton, Western Cape, South Africa
In order to apply for this position, applicants MUST meet the following criteria. If your resume does not match these criteria, you will not be able to apply for this position.
Chevron is one of the world's leading energy companies, with approximately 60,000 employees working in countries around the world. We explore, produce and transport crude oil and natural gas; refine, market and distribute fuels and other energy products; manufacture and sell petrochemical products; generate power; and develop future energy resources, including biofuels and geothermal energy. To learn more, visit the Explore Chevron website.
We operate 100,000 barrels per day refinery in Milnerton, Cape Town, that produces gasoline, diesel, jet fuel, liquefied petroleum gas, fuel oil, paving asphalt and other products. Chevron South Africa also has interests in a lubricant oil manufacturing plant in Durban and maintains a laboratory and blending plant there.
Chevron is accepting online applications for the position of Manager, Reliability and Maintenance (R and M) located in Milnerton, South Africa through , 19 September 2018.
Responsibilities for this position may include but are not limited to:
- Manage and lead the Maintenance and Reliability department to provide optimum plant availability and reliability within the agreed budgets, supporting the overall plant production and utilisation targets, for routine and turnaround work
- Participate in the management team to ensure business success in the key scorecard metrics. Facilitate the interpretation of these metrics as applicable the R and M department and direct and monitor the implementation of actions to achieve the overall business goals
- Promote safety at all times, by demonstrating appropriate behaviors and ensuring loss prevention system stewardship metrics are met by all members of the R and M team. Provide significant influence on Contactor safety performance by ensuring their selection, performance and improvement programs are in alignment with our relevant operational excellence objectives
- Assign resources to support efforts to continuously improve plant reliability, failure investigation, risk based inspection, asset management policy and reliability centered maintenance programmes. Ensure sufficient organizational capability exist within the department to comply with all country and corporate legislation and regulations
- Develop staff using appropriate Chevron HR processes and tools, and feedback on individual and work-group achievements. Differentiate performance and provide effective feedback to ensure accounatbility requirements are met, appropriate behaviours are fully recognised and improvements, where necessary, are implemented
- Implement and maintain a contract strategy which ensures the correct service levels are available for routine and shutdown maintenace requirements. Manage and monitor the contracts, utilising contract sponsers, to ensure key safety, cost and productivity levels are met
- Manage all R and M costs to agreed budget. Drive to reduce spend, whist maintaining unit availability, by influencing the workforce on reliability and productivity improvement initiatives. Act as a ,member of the global refining small refinery reliability operating committee
- Lead planned shutdowns in line with the Impact process. Achieve targets on schedule, cost and safety
- Degree in Engineering (Chemical, Mechanical, Electrical/Instrumentation or Civil)
- Minimum of 15 years' engineering experience in a process environment with technical proficiency in reliability, process, instrumentation, designs or capital projects, of which at least 3 years' Chevron Supervisory / Management Experience
- Demonstrated ability in operational excellence / health environment and safety incident and injury free operation, cost management, project execution and vendor management
- Proven strengths in analytical thinking and problem solving in a complex and pressurised environment where prioritisation and trade-offs need to be considered and quality decisions made and work executed with speed and excellence. Ability to remove barriers, simplify work priorities and mitigate risks
- Demonstrated leadership and proven organisational capability development skills
- Demonstrated stakeholder engagement skills to influence outcomes with internal and external customers, by communicating effectively with direct reports, subject matter experts, Refinery Leadership Team, partner organisations, vendors and customers e.g. operations and technical services
- Diversity - Demonstrates awareness and sensitivity for various cultures, styles and beliefs
- Capital Stewardship Organizational Capability Supreme and operational excellence certification an advantage
Relocation may be considered within Chevron South Africa parameters.
Selected candidates will work in South Africa under the local payroll system and benefits.
Selections will be made in line with the Chevron South Africa Employment Equity plan.
Chevron is one of the world’s leading integrated energy companies. Our success is driven by our people and their commitment to get results the right way – by operating responsibly, executing with excellence, applying innovative technologies and capturing new opportunities for profitable growth. Some of our specialties include generating power and produce geothermal energy; investing in profitable renewable energy and energy efficiency solutions; and developing the energy resources of the future, including researching advanced biofuels.
Our diverse and highly skilled workforce consists of approximately 64,700 employees, including more than 3,200 service station employees. At Chevron, we’re focused on safely delivering the energy needed to power human and economic progress worldwide. But how do we do that when harnessing fossil fuels can be inherently risky? To meet these challenges, Chevron has spent more than 20 years expanding systems that support a culture of safety and environmental stewardship that strives to achieve unequaled performance and prevent all serious incidents and fatalities. We call this Operational Excellence, and it drives everything we do.
Diversity & Inclusion
We’re committed to reflecting in our workforce the rich diversity of cultures and racial and ethnic backgrounds in the communities where we live and work. We’re also devoted to encouraging a diversity of ideas.
Diversity is one of the cornerstones of our values, which we call The Chevron Way. The Chevron Way states:
“We learn from and respect the cultures in which we work. We value and demonstrate respect for the uniqueness of individuals and the varied perspectives and talents they provide. We have an inclusive work environment and actively embrace a diversity of people, ideas, talents and experiences.”
As a core value, diversity is critical to developing a talented, high-performing workforce needed for ongoing business success. The Chevron Way’s focus on people has helped establish a culture that attracts, develops and retains more diverse talent.
We Support Career & Personal Development
We value the importance of managing work/life priorities by offering flexible work schedules, on-site child care at some facilities, adoption assistance, dual-career couple support, scholarships and tuition reimbursement.
At Chevron, you’ll find a workplace committed to your professional development. You’ll receive support and tools to create your own career path, including education assistance support which pays up to 75% of the cost (including tuition, textbooks, lab fees, and registration and administration fees) for approved courses. To strengthen organizational capability, we develop our employees’ and contractors’ skills and experience through our Invest in People strategy. As part of this strategy, discussions focused on continually improving individual performance are held between managers and employees.
Chevron is ranked in the Global Top 10 in Rigzone's Ideal Employer Rankings - find out more here.