Experience: 6 + Years
Education: Tech/Vocational Cert/Apprenticeship
Location: Houston, Texas, United States
In order to apply for this position, applicants MUST meet the following criteria. If your resume does not match these criteria, you will not be able to apply for this position.
Chevron is one of the world's leading energy companies, with approximately 60,000 employees working in countries around the world. We explore, produce and transport crude oil and natural gas; refine, market and distribute fuels and other energy products; manufacture and sell petrochemical products; generate power; and develop future energy resources, including biofuels and geothermal energy.
Chevron is accepting online applications for the position of Counsel/Senior Counsel located in Houston, Texas through September 24, 2018 at 11:59 p.m. (Eastern Standard Time).
This is a Counsel/Senior Counsel position, based in Houston, in Upstream Law – Litigation, which provides litigation management services to all North America Upstream companies and a variety of corporate business units. The attorneys in this group have expertise in litigation and arbitration and manage a wide variety of matters (including oil and gas, employment, commercial, environmental, personal injury, and intellectual property) and government and internal investigations. The attorneys work closely with law management, business clients and outside counsel. The position reports to Chevron Upstream Law Deputy Managing Counsel - Litigation (Houston).
Responsibilities for this position may include but are not limited to:
- Manage a wide variety of complex lawsuits, arbitrations and investigations
- Facilitate innovative resolutions to disputes, utilizing ADR when appropriate
- Direct and participate in incident and internal investigations
- Provide independent case evaluations
- Effectively partner with and manage outside counsel
- Establish and manage outside counsel budget and control costs
- Coordinate discovery, including interviews, depositions, interrogatories and document production and maximize effective use of available in-house resources and technology
- Provide pre- litigation advice on legal and regulatory issues
- Juris Doctor required, and Membership in Texas State Bar, or compliance with Texas Bar’s requirements for in-house practitioners in Texas
- 6 or more years of litigation experience, with primary responsibility for significant matters
- Demonstrated ability to analyze and evaluate complex disputes and issues
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Highly motivated self-starter capable of working in a team environment and partnering with clients, other in-house counsel, outside counsel and staff
- Ability to effectively manage a high volume of complex and diverse claims
- Exceptional knowledge of law pertaining to electronic discovery issues
- Federal court clerkship
- Oil and gas industry experience
- First or second chair trial experience
- Significant litigation experience in the following practice areas:
a) oil and gas (including royalty)
c) complex commercial
d) class actions
e) environmental / toxic tort litigation
- Experience with incident and internal investigations
Relocation will be considered.
Expatriate assignments will not be considered.
Chevron regrets that it is unable to sponsor employment Visas or consider individuals on time-limited Visa status for this position. Regulatory Disclosure for US Positions:Chevron is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status, or other status protected by law or regulation. Chevron participates in E-Verify in certain locations as required by law.
Nearest Major Market: Houston
Chevron is one of the world’s leading integrated energy companies. Our success is driven by our people and their commitment to get results the right way – by operating responsibly, executing with excellence, applying innovative technologies and capturing new opportunities for profitable growth. Some of our specialties include generating power and produce geothermal energy; investing in profitable renewable energy and energy efficiency solutions; and developing the energy resources of the future, including researching advanced biofuels.
Our diverse and highly skilled workforce consists of approximately 64,700 employees, including more than 3,200 service station employees. At Chevron, we’re focused on safely delivering the energy needed to power human and economic progress worldwide. But how do we do that when harnessing fossil fuels can be inherently risky? To meet these challenges, Chevron has spent more than 20 years expanding systems that support a culture of safety and environmental stewardship that strives to achieve unequaled performance and prevent all serious incidents and fatalities. We call this Operational Excellence, and it drives everything we do.
Diversity & Inclusion
We’re committed to reflecting in our workforce the rich diversity of cultures and racial and ethnic backgrounds in the communities where we live and work. We’re also devoted to encouraging a diversity of ideas.
Diversity is one of the cornerstones of our values, which we call The Chevron Way. The Chevron Way states:
“We learn from and respect the cultures in which we work. We value and demonstrate respect for the uniqueness of individuals and the varied perspectives and talents they provide. We have an inclusive work environment and actively embrace a diversity of people, ideas, talents and experiences.”
As a core value, diversity is critical to developing a talented, high-performing workforce needed for ongoing business success. The Chevron Way’s focus on people has helped establish a culture that attracts, develops and retains more diverse talent.
We Support Career & Personal Development
We value the importance of managing work/life priorities by offering flexible work schedules, on-site child care at some facilities, adoption assistance, dual-career couple support, scholarships and tuition reimbursement.
At Chevron, you’ll find a workplace committed to your professional development. You’ll receive support and tools to create your own career path, including education assistance support which pays up to 75% of the cost (including tuition, textbooks, lab fees, and registration and administration fees) for approved courses. To strengthen organizational capability, we develop our employees’ and contractors’ skills and experience through our Invest in People strategy. As part of this strategy, discussions focused on continually improving individual performance are held between managers and employees.
Chevron is ranked in the Global Top 10 in Rigzone's Ideal Employer Rankings - find out more here.