Education: High School/Secondary
Employment Type: Full Time Salaried Employee
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
No location/work authorization restrictions found.
Shell Legal seeks an attorney to provide timely, cost-effective and fit-for-purpose legal services on environmental and safety matters to Shell's Upstream operations in Canada and globally as a member of the global Legal Services Projects and Technology - Safety and Environment ("LSPT/E") practice group.
- Provide legal advice and business partnering on complex environmental and safety matters to operations staff, Safety and Environment function, and business leadership in Canada, principally Upstream (Exploration, Unconventionals, and Legacy businesses/assets), Integrated Gas and New Energies, with additional periodic backup support to Downstream Canada operations. Advise on issues including occupational safety compliance, prime contractor requirements, safety practices, policy and procedure development, and on and off-site soil, air and groundwater contamination, environmental regulatory compliance, regulatory reporting, air, water and waste discharges, environmental permitting and environmental impact reviews, abandonment, reclamation and remediation obligations and liability management. Advise these businesses regarding reporting to and engagements on safety and environmental matters with applicable governmental agencies and other stakeholders.
- Advise on operating conditions, compliance requirements and potential enforcement or legal risk as well as best practices and compliance with regulatory requirements for the Upstream business in Canada.
- Regulatory advocacy/engagement. Engage regularly with a variety of regulatory and quasi-judicial bodies across Canada in respect of permitting, water and waste management, compliance, enforcement, remediation, reclamation, environmental and safety related matters.
- Advise on obligations and risks among Shell and its contractors and regarding Shell policies and best practices for contractor HSSE management, including engagements with contractors in incident investigations and enforcement proceedings. Engage within LSPT/E Team on global efforts to improve contractor HSSE management.
- In the event of significant safety or environmental incidents or noncompliance matters, advise involved business leaders on legal risks and obligations, support investigations, including participation in and leading investigation teams where Shell Legal initiates a privileged investigation, advising on risk and liability management, regulatory engagements and advocacy, and learning from incidents including review and advice on related written materials and internal and external communications. Effectively and proactively work with Shell Global Litigation on incident response, evidence and document preservation, and transition of support for matters in contested proceedings. Focus on continuous improvement in global tools and processes for incident response and investigation.
- Serve as Emergency Response Legal Support Coordinator for Canada, including keeping current the existing country response plan, working with Shell legal leadership in Canada to maintain sufficient number of trained legal responders, and communicating available tools to support the network of legal responders. Provide support and legal advice with respect to emergency response including serving on the National Response Team or Shell Americas Response Team as legal officer for Tier I and II emergencies and emergency drills in the Americas.
- Advise Canadian Upstream and Legacy organizations on liabilities and legal issues arising in the evaluation, management and resolution of complex environmental remediation and legacy projects, including contractual obligations, stakeholder management, permitting, regulatory engagement, and regulatory requirements to achieve site closure.
- Collaboratively with business partners, identify and monitor safety and environmental legislative and regulatory developments, emerging risks and enforcement trends relevant to the businesses supported. Develop and present client training on priority environmental and safety matters, and leverage training materials to global team and audiences.
- As needed, represent Shell in engagements with external trade associations and stakeholders including regulatory authorities on safety and environmental rulemaking and pre-litigation enforcement matters.
- Contribute as an active participant in LSPT/E Team initiatives and generously share knowledge and experience with global colleagues.
- Advise on HSSE & SP Control Framework and other Shell standards, manuals, requirements and processes.
- Coordinate with Legal Services-Global Litigation (LSGL) regarding legal support for significant safety and environmental incidents and enforcement that transition to contested administrative proceedings, litigation or arbitration.
- Instruct and manage external counsel as needed on a cost-effective basis.
Shell is a global group of energy and petrochemicals companies with over 90,000 employees in more than 70 countries and territories. In Canada, we have operated for over a century and are a major producer and marketer of oil, gas and petrochemicals, Canada's largest producer of sulphur and a significant oil sands developer. We deliver energy responsibly; operate safely with respect to our neighbours and work to minimize our environmental impact. We are in search of remarkable people who will thrive in a diverse and inclusive work environment to deliver exciting projects locally and globally. People who are passionate about exploring new frontiers. Innovators and pioneers. People with the drive to help shape our future.
- Canadian law degree or professional legal qualification and current membership in Law Society of Alberta
- Experience in environmental, upstream regulatory and/or safety legal subject matter and interest to learn new and often complex legislation or regulations
- Solid understanding of basics of commercial, real property, and joint venture agreements utilized by Upstream businesses in Canada
- Strong legal research and analysis skills, including ability to identify issues and quickly assess legal risk, as well as interpret complex regulations involving technical issues
- Effective communication with a wide range of internal stakeholders, colleagues, outside counsel, and regulators
- Ability to develop and sustain relationships and develop shared outcomes with other lawyers and clients at all levels and in a range of cultures
- Ability to give clear articulation of a legal issue and to provide practical, succinct, accurate and comprehensible written and oral legal advice including to senior leaders and executives
- Collaborative, including virtually, within a variety of legal groups and business functions
- Ability to deliver through others on team projects and influence outcomes without direct line authority
- Enthusiasm to share experience and knowledge with global team members
- Ability to work in a challenging environment with clients needing quick response, including providing support in sensitive and high-pressure situations
- Strong influencing, advocacy, negotiating, and facilitation skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong attention to detail, autonomous, and self-directing
- Able to prioritize in order to achieve a sustainable, productive work load in the face of competing priorities
Availability for occasional consultation with clients outside business hours and occasional travel including on short notice
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date.
Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Royal Dutch/Shell Group companies around the world.
The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand.
Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Learn More about Shell: Watch their Life at Shell Video