Environmental, Health & Safety Manager - Houston, Texas
- Manage the activities related to EHS Amega West International and Domestic locations. Direct the development and/or implementation of compliance related policies and procedures throughout the organization. Verify that all firm and regulatory procedures have been documented, implemented and communicated.
- Assess product, compliance or operational risk and develop process and personal safety risk management strategies. Conduct or direct the internal investigation of compliance issues. Conduct periodic internal reviews or assessments to ensure that compliance procedures are followed. Disseminate written policies and procedures related to compliance activities. File appropriate compliance reports with regulatory agencies. Keep informed regarding pending industry changes, trends and best practices and assess the potential impact of these changes on the organizational process.
- Involved in tactical and strategic planning in EHS for all AWS facilities. Provides EHS leadership and problem solving to departmental and facility resources in EHS related issues as well as all Corporate facilities as needed.
- Orders the suspension of activities that pose threats of worker's health and safety. Reviews plans for health hazard control procedures. Consults with management, industrial engineers, employee representatives, and other agencies regarding industrial health and safety problems and solutions.
- Develops goals and objectives for area of responsibility that are aligned with those of Corporate EHS. Develop, define and lead the implementation of plans, actions and measurements to meet goals. Measure and evaluate execution of the plans and make appropriate adjustments to meet the aligned goals and objectives. To provide site safety leadership, ensure facility compliance with corporate safety standards, implement safety directives, and ensure facility safety policies and procedures are aligned with governmental regulations.
- Direct safety evaluations and inspect facilities, machinery and safety equipment to identify and correct potential hazards, and to ensure safety regulation compliance. Implement systemic and behavioral employee safety programs to determine their adequacy including review of short and long term strategic safety planning and development. Influences Management on Safety Strategy, continuous improvement plans and actions.
- Gain and maintain knowledge of the existing manufacturing systems, quality systems and process control techniques. Keeps abreast of technology and current EHS issues through seminars, education and training. Identify best practices and lead continuous improvement initiatives to reduce work process risks, raise safety awareness, and improve safe work practices. Facilitate a work environment that supports a safe and healthy culture, direct safety assessments and inspect facilities, machinery and safety equipment to identify and correct potential hazards, and to ensure safety regulation compliance. Coordinate employee safety programs to determine their adequacy including review of short and long term strategic safety planning and development.
- Maintain involvement at shop floor level to insure all EHS practices are being followed. Performs hands on training to applicable employees including shop workers. Define and communicate performance expectations for functional reports and coach and counsel them in the performance of job responsibilities. Lead organizational change in regard to educating, coaching and mentoring on behavioral based safety initiatives.
- Four-year college degree in related field. Graduate degree highly desired. 8+ years of experience in a Safety or Environmental position or Health, Safety or Environmental Engineer position with progressive responsibilities that supported multiple work locations. Manufacturing experience or experience in a manufacturing environment a plus.
- Additional certifications in the EHS field preferred.
- Human Performance error reduction training preferred.
- Proven results in safety injury rate performance improvement, lost time injury rate performance improvement, Workers Compensation incurred cost improvements, OSHA site compliance and Safety (corporate/OSHA) assessments.
- Experience with OSHA compliance and physical compliance requirements, implementation of corporate safety standards or OSHA regulations such as confined space, control of hazardous energy, hot work and elevated work. Experience providing safety incident data analysis and corrective plans to address non-conformance.
- Ability to effectively coach, give performance feedback and provide development opportunities within area of responsibility. Ability to adapt area/departmental plans and priorities to address business and operational challenges. Ability to provide leadership and employee engagement to drive safety performance.
- Requires excellent written and verbal communication skills, interpersonal and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work in a fast paced and ever-changing work environment.