Oceaneering is a global provider of engineered services and products, primarily to the offshore energy industry. We develop products and services for use throughout the lifecycle of an offshore oilfield, from drilling to decommissioning. We operate the world's premier fleet of work class ROVs. Additionally, we are a leader in offshore oilfield maintenance services, umbilicals, subsea hardware, and tooling. We also use applied technology expertise to serve the defense, entertainment, material handling, aerospace, science, and renewable energy industries.
Duties & Responsibilities
The Electrical Testing Technician operates test equipment to evaluate performance characteristics of electrical cables, recording results, collaborates with electrical engineers to identify and solve problems, plans method of operations for testing products, conducts inspections for quality control, reporting findings, prepares general and project specific procedures.
The Electrical Testing Technician scope covers Low Voltage (LV), Medium Voltage (MV), and Fibre Optic (FO) cable for bids and projects. It also includes ongoing support for the design, manufacture, and testing of LV, MV, and FO cables on site.
The company expects all its people to always act in the best interest of our business while taking full account of the needs of our customers and the welfare of our people. Must be able to perform all tasks safely and help create a safe and appropriate working environment for themselves and all other colleagues including but not limited to demonstrating Oceaneering's Core Values; Safety & Environment, Teamwork & People, Customer Focus, Excellence, Accountability, Ethics AND Adhering to Oceaneering's Life Saving Rule's at all times.
- Adopt and maintain a strong safety culture by specifically understanding and adhering to all safety policies and procedures ensuring a safe working environment; and actively advancing and promoting Oceaneering's HSE policies and practices.
- Set up and operate test equipment to evaluate performance characteristics of LV, MV and FO cables and record results:
- Prepare cables and conduct testing of performance characteristics
- Completes required documentation and prepare reports of tests and findings;
- Assist with performing trouble shooting of quality control issues
- Conduct investigations for quality control and assurance programs, reporting findings and recommendations.
- Assist in the identification of new processes/equipment and the development of acceptance criteria for existing and new manufacturing processes/equipment relating to cable products.
- Communicate and liaise closely with Electrical Engineers and other engineering department personnel, supporting calibration between electrical testing department and engineering department to identify, define and solve problems.
- Assist in the development of process control plans, Quality Plans and Production Inspect Test Plans (PITP) for cable products
- Plan method or sequence of operations for developing or testing products
- Prepare general and project specific procedures
- Produce reports, technical papers and bulletins
- Performs electrical testing of electrical components and umbilical's.
- Performs technical work tasks requiring moderate to advanced technical experience.
- Receives little guidance, successfully completes tasks as required and can usually perform the skill independently.
- Takes initiative to develop additional knowledge of the technical area and begins to train junior technicians in basic tasks.
- Ensure that good housekeeping is adhered to at all times.
- Ensure all paperwork is completed in a legible and timely manner.
- Ensure all quality problems are recorded and QA informed.
- Ensuring that prior to use that the equipment is in good working order and within calibration as applicable.
- Ensure any damaged equipment is highlighted to the Electric Subsea Cable Engineer.
- May be required to communicate with other senior technicians, shop foremen, or supervisors at the end of each shift with a written shift handover report.
- Ensure that all the tasks being worked on are being carried out to the highest of standards.
- May be required to liaise with client inspectors to ensure that they are informed if required before a task is started and if it is a witness or hold point in the PITP.
- May at times be required to support shop floor and other departments within Oceaneering.
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in a group problem solving situations; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Technical Skills - Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; Pursues training and development opportunities; Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; Shares expertise with others.
- Customer Service - Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; Responds promptly to customer needs; solicits customer feedback to improve service; Responds to requests for service and assistance; Meets commitments.
- Interpersonal Skills - Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without interrupting; Keeps emotions under control; Remains open to others' ideas and tries new things.
- Oral Communication - Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Demonstrates group presentation skills; Participates in meetings.
- Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Varies writing style to meet needs; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
- Teamwork - Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; Supports everyone's efforts to succeed.
- Quality Management - Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
- Ethics - Treats people with respect; Keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; Works with integrity and ethically; Upholds organizational values.
- Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; Completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization's goals and values; Benefits organization through outside activities; Supports affirmative action and respects diversity.
- Judgment - Displays willingness to make decisions; Exhibits sound and accurate judgment; Supports and explains reasoning for decisions; Includes appropriate people in decision-making process; Makes timely decisions.
- Professionalism - Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments.
- Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Safety and Security - Observes safety and security procedures; Determines appropriate action beyond guidelines; Reports potentially unsafe conditions; Uses equipment and materials properly.
- Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Attendance/Punctuality - Is consistently at work and on time; Ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; Arrives at meetings and appointments on time
- Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals. Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
- Initiative - Volunteers readily; Undertakes self-development activities; Seeks increased responsibilities; Takes independent actions and calculated risks; Looks for and takes advantage of opportunities; Asks for and offers help when needed.
Other duties as assigned
Ensure that the Safety policies and procedures are understood and adhered to so far as is reasonably practicable in order to ensure a safe working environment.
- Carry out work in accordance with the Company Health, Safety, Environmental and Quality Systems.
- Perform the assigned tasks with due diligence regarding the Integrated Management Systems on the Company.
- Eliminate waste of whatever form, to suggest the use of more environmentally friendly substances and practices and contribute to the continuous improvement of the environment.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and /or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- A strong candidate with non-degree qualification may be considered for this position, provided they can demonstrate relevant experience in a similar role.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Other Characteristics
- Language Skills - Ability to read, analyzes, and interpret technical procedures. Ability to write reports and procedure/manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, and customers.
- Mathematical Skills - Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
- Reasoning Ability - Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written or oral form.
- Computer Skills - To perform this job successfully, an individual should have complete knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, PeopleSoft, and Enovia.
We offer a competitive salary, a comprehensive benefits package and the opportunity to advance in an international company. To apply, click 'Apply Now'.
Oceaneering develops products and services for use throughout the lifecycle of an offshore oilfield, from drilling to decommissioning. The company is the world's largest manufacturer and operator of work class Remotely Operated Vehicles (ROVs) and is also a leader in offshore oilfield maintenance services, workover control systems, asset integrity services, umbilicals, subsea hardware and tooling. Oceaneering also serves the aerospace, defense and theme park industries.