Skills: Electrical Engineering, Engineering Manager
Experience: 10 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Employment Type: Full Time Salaried Employee
Location: Houston, Texas, United States
In order to apply for this position, applicants MUST meet the following criteria. If your resume does not match these criteria, you will not be able to apply for this position.
Located in region: North America
The Electrical Power Systems Superintendent is responsible for providing information, advice, and guidance for all aspects of the development and implementation of power systems equipment for all the Company's drilling units. He/she must ensure that all power systems equipment is in accordance with IEC, IEEE, regulatory, and class requirements and changes.
Assist and support the Maintenance Department in the review, development, and utilization of the Pacific Drilling Maintenance Management System (MMS).
Department / Location
Technical Support Department, Houston, Texas, USA.
The position scope covers the entire fleet of Pacific Drilling and any other applicable subject matter tasks.
- Direct Manager / Supervisor - Technical Support Manager
- In the absence of the Technical Support Manager, the Electrical Power Systems Superintendent will report to the Director of Technical Support.
- As required, the Electrical Power Systems Superintendent will liaise with clients during tenders or operation.
Qualifications and Experience
- Electrical Engineering degree (BSc minimum) from a recognized University or institution, (Electrical, Electronics or Automation Engineering preferred) with 5 years of experience in a support function
- As an alternative, an Electrical or Electronics Technician Trade School Diploma with 10 years of experience in support of electrical power plant in a marine environment. Drilling experience preferred
- Must possess or be able to quickly obtain a Medium Voltage Safety Certificate
- Preferred experience with ABB Medium Voltage Equipment;
- Medium voltage generators, medium voltage generator voltage controls, medium / low voltage switchgear and distribution switchboards, medium voltage circuit breakers and protective devices, low voltage circuit breakers and motor starters, medium voltage VFD-based propulsion drives, medium / low voltage transformers, low voltage VFD-based drilling drives
- Demonstrate a strong understanding of medium voltage safety
- Be able to perform power calculations to properly size cable and equipment
- Demonstrated leader in technical and management
- Experience with preventive maintenance system and procedures
- Knowledge and experience with electrical equipment in hazardous areas and regulation IEC, IEEE, API etc.
- Familiar with electrical engineering and installation standards including IEC, IEEE, API, IMO MODU, SOLAS, and class regulations (ABS, DNV)
- Experience with installation, start-up, commissioning, and upgrades of systems
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
Responsibilities of this position include but are not limited to:
- Demonstrate and lead compliance with the Pacific Drilling code of conduct and supporting policies, standards, and applicable process documentation
- Perform all work according to agreed expectations of both internal and external customers focus on doing things right first time every time and contribute actively to continual improvement activities
- Proactively assist with trouble shooting of equipment and issues on a daily basis
- Collaborate with OEMs and vendor partners to resolve NPT situations, ongoing equipment issues and upgrades, proposed technical changes, and technical MOC clarifications and communications
- Provide information, advice, and guidance regarding the correct maintenance plan for the electrical power systems equipment
- Assist the maintenance group to ensure that maintenance plans, recommended spare parts, and task lists are accurately populated, through continuous improvement and system enhancements
- Participate with the Technical Support group and division Technical Managers in the planning and evaluation of technical support improvements, major maintenance work, planned overhauls, and class required surveys
- Consider the outcome of issues / failure reports to optimize operational safety and performance of the entire fleet
- Participate in the evaluation of rig maintenance through the MMS audit program
- Monitor industry technology advancement and provide suggestions for value improving initiatives and upgrades
- Participate in the rotational on-call weekend program as directed
- Participate in Factory Acceptance Tests (FATs), vendor site visits and evaluations, and equipment construction and repair surveillance as directed
- Give full support to rectify rig down events as directed
- Expect 2-3 months of travel a year broken up into 2-3 trips.
Pacific Drilling is a fast growing company that is dedicated to becoming the preferred ultra-deepwater drilling contractor. The employees of Pacific Drilling consist of a group of hard working, results driven and passionate people. At the core of our company values is a customer oriented environment that operates with the utmost integrity.
If you are interested in a challenging and rewarding career, we would like to hear from you!