Skills: HR - General
Experience: 7 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Employment Type: Full Time Salaried Employee
Location: Houston , Texas, United States
No location/work authorization restrictions found.
The US Policy and Benefits Team is accountable for designing and delivering a compelling local Employee Value Proposition, protecting the Shell Brand and safeguarding our License to Operate.
Our policies impact every employee, at every level, in every business, at every stage of their career life cycle. They not only speak to who we are as an organization, they narrate what we value.
The successful candidate will provide Policy expertise to the HR Community supporting US businesses (which may include HR staff outside of the US) while broadening his/her knowledge in a variety of subject areas. The position will be assigned a specific business as an ongoing client but will also allow the individual the opportunity to develop a substantial network of contacts across Shell and interact with the key HR leaders and future leaders in the businesses. These roles are also expected to keep and maintain an external and commercial mindset, constantly scanning the external legislative and HR landscape as well as third party vendor management.
The Policy Advisor role is responsible for the development, delivery, maintenance and revision of employment policies and programs for Shell employees in the US - ensuring they are clear, competitive, contemporary, compliant and demonstrate care for employees.
Specifically, the successful candidate will:
1. Develop and provide deep subject matter expertise relating to employment policies staying current on legislative requirements, best practices and application across all businesses and employee demographics
2. Serve as a proactive, strategic partner to the broader HR Community and business to solve business challenges. This is done in consultation with both the US HR Community and other internal and external stakeholders as required.
3. Be required to effectively navigate and manage substantial change and deliver seamless project management on items that impact all US employees.
4. Sharpen their external mindset by managing contracts and relationships with 3rd party service providers for the programs within subject matter expertise areas as well as staying abreast of external best practices and functional direction.
Providing value-adding policy guidance and support to HR staff across Shell including, but not limited to:
Keeping abreast of trends/competitive practice/legal landscape as they relate to Shell HR policies.
Analyzing policies, making data-driven recommendations for change, and consulting with the business on changes and implementation.
Owning overall administration of programs and policies
Coordinating the development of severance plans for at least one line of business; providing consultation and guidance, including obtaining necessary approvals.
Providing support for US implications of global policy efforts.
Providing support for projects in other areas of Policy & Benefits in addition to Policy.
The role will also communicate and implement new and revised policies with the HR in the Business (HRitB) and HR Operations organizations and ensure policies driven by legislation/governmental agencies are developed and implemented in the business. The successful candidate will also liaise with Industrial Relations, Shell Legal, DI/ER/EO, HR Advice, HRBPs, etc. on policy related activities.
Number of direct reports: 0
Complexity: Responsible for US policy development and maintaining existing policies, revising policies as needed based on new laws, requirements and business requests.
This role requires great organization skills in order to effectively balance the various accountabilities including projects, business focal point, policy subject matter expert, consultant/focal point and investigator. The successful candidate will need to prioritize and manage time with a heavy workload. They will also need to effectively balance time for broader thinking without losing a keen delivery orientation and very high expectations for quality deliverables. Another challenge is the ability to dive deeply into a regulation/policy then pulling back out to present a high-level overview and see the bigger picture (i.e. implications for the company and keeping it simple to communicate). In addition, the successful candidate will have the opportunity to hone their influencing skills when not having governance.
As the custodians of organizational policy, this role requires role modeling not only of Shell's Core Values but a high level of professionalism and personal integrity to honor the policies over which we are stewards.
Shell is a global group of energy and petrochemicals companies with over 90,000 employees in more than 70 countries and territories. In the US, we have operated for over a century and are a major oil and gas producer onshore and in the Gulf of Mexico, a recognized innovator in exploration and production technology, and a leading manufacturer and marketer of fuels, natural gas and petrochemicals. We deliver energy responsibly; operate safely with respect to our neighbours and work to minimize our environmental impact. We are in search of remarkable people who will thrive in a diverse and inclusive work environment to deliver exciting projects locally and globally. People who are passionate about exploring new frontiers. Innovators and pioneers. People with the drive to help shape our future. Because remarkable people achieve remarkable things.
- Must have legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer.
- Bachelor's degree in Chemical, Electrical or Mechanical Engineering.
- Minimum seven (7) years experience in human resources.
- Background in policy and benefits is desirable but not necessary.
- Proven consulting experience.
- Proven customer service experience.
- Project management skills
- Proven ability to organize, set priorities and complete multiple projects within established deadlines both independently and through others.
- Ability to relate to senior customer management as well as be willing to roll up their sleeves and work through the details.
- Should possess the ability to network with and develop consensus and support among peers and customers.
- The ideal candidate will be comfortable with a steep learning curve and with significant task variety, and meeting tight deadlines.
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date.
Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Royal Dutch/Shell Group companies around the world.
The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand.
Shell participates in E-Verify.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, citizenship, genetic information or other protected status under federal, state or local laws.
Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disability.
Learn More about Shell: Watch their Life at Shell Video