The Shell Polymers Monaca Site is a world-scale petrochemical plant being built in Western Pennsylvania that will upgrade locally-produced ethane from Marcellus and Utica shale formations gas production to make polyethylene. The petrochemical complex will consist of a world-scale Ethane Cracker Unit (ECU), multiple polyethylene (PE) units, PE logistics and supporting OSBL (utilities, general facilities, storage, and hydrocarbon logistics). The FID (Final Investment Decision) was made in Q2 2016 and the project is now in execute phase. As construction of the site progresses, the asset team is now growing to support Commissioning and Start-Up activities and prepare for full operation in the early 2020s. Not only are we building a world-class asset, we're building a world-class asset organization. This position is critical to the mission of team, and this will promise to be a once-in-a-lifetime experience.
The Sr. Instrument Engineer is a member of the Process Automation Control & Optimization (PACO) Team within the Asset's Technology Department. This person is responsible for the overall technical assurance of the plant instrumentation and control system reliability as part of Managed Equipment Care (MEC) campaign. This person will also be the focal point for the custody transfer measurement (CTM) and other hydrocarbon and energy measurements, part of the Produced Hydrocarbon and Energy Accounting (PHEA) work process within DS-M manufacturing Asset Management System (AMS).
This position has cross-site influence and progresses / champions a site strategic vision within the PACO discipline. The person in this role will adhere to the Shell Polymers Core Values i.e. Customer Centricity, ownership, innovation, partnership and Communityship with the ultimate vision of the asset team to be the unrivaled polyethylene manufacturer.
Below are some of the key responsibilities during CSU/Operation readiness phase of the project
MEC Work Process:
- Develop Instrument Condition Monitoring & Predictive Maintenance plan to support the Managed Equipment Care (MEC) work process.
- Develop list of Instrument Functional Locators in SAP for maintenance
- Reconcile Safety Critical Element (SCE) list and GSAP FLOC against site instrument criticality ranking.
- Participate and support in the Risk Centered Maintenance (RCM) workshops.
- Support development of Preventive Maintenance Library(PML) for each instrument type.
- Support development of offline/online test procedures for each Safety Instrumented Functions (SIF).
- Interface with the projects with instrument Asset Management System (iAMS) configuration efforts from Emerson (Main Automation Contractor), Instrument alert rationalization, Smart commissioning in field using iAMS.
- Develop the iAMS user guide and alert help instructions with vendors.
- Develop procedure and checklists for conducting FS internal audit self-assessment (FSA).
PHEA Work Process:
- Develop Produced hydrocarbon and energy accounting (PHEA) plan in conjunction with HMB focal to support the measurement (CTM) related work processes.
- Identify the different measurement devices (Class 1 thru' Class 4 meters) and document them in measurement asset register.
- Define the criticality of each meter and assign proper preventative maintenance (PMs) to these meters based on legal contracts, regulatory requirements and Shell corporate guidelines.
- Identify areas of condition monitoring and predictive maintenance in CTM areas.
- Interface with Environmental team on GHG emissions, CEMS and other air/water quality measurements.
- Support development of Preventive Maintenance Library(PML) for each meter type.
- Develop procedure for managing the Instrumentation part of MEC process KPIs and measurement part of PHEA KPIs.
Other work process interfaces:
- Interface with Maintenance Execution (ME) work process on establishing test equipment, test records preservation, Pass/fail statistics, ways of working for Instrument maintenance in general.
- Interface with risk centered maintenance (MEC-RCM) process on instrument criticality, related condition monitoring (CdM), preventative maintenance (PM).
- Interface with Turnaround (TA) Team on planning tests to be completed during TA.
- Interface with Manage Threats & Opportunities (MTO) on dealing with bad actors
- Interface with MOC work process focal on formalizing simple PACO discipline changes.
- Interface with Manage Projects (MP) work process focal on changes to existing/new PACO designs/implementation.
- Interface with P&T and witness the PACO pre-commissioning & commissioning activities and provide the additional level of technical assurance as needed.
- Report bad actors to MTO and reconsider PM intervals or specific PACO designs if necessary.
Below are some of the key responsibilities during run&maintain phase of the asset in addition to the ones listed above:
- Manages the measurement losses based on PHEA recommended practices, lessons learnt and continuous improvement plan in this area.
- Manages the Instrument Condition Monitoring & Predictive Maintenance plans based on lessons learnt and continuous improvement plan in this area.
- Approves Management of Change (MOC) for activities related to PACO work.
- Responsible for establishing and maintaining location specifications, PM library and detailed PM text (procedures) for Instrumentation and control systems hardware.
- Conduct self-assessment LOD1 audits every year and supports LOD2 audit every 5 years.
- Responsible for working closely with the PACO engineers, inspectors and I&E technicians and field contractors to maintain KPIs for the MEC and PHEA work process.
- Provide Leadership and participation in Shell's work processes for Managed Equipment Care (MEC), RCM-Reliability Centered Maintenance, MTA-Mitigating Threats to Availability, SIF-Safety Instrumented Function.
- Assures compliance to the revised Shell DEPs, industry standards and other technical requirements and provides gap assessments with risk analysis.
- Represents the site in corporate DS-M Instrumentation technical network.
- Participates in incident investigations related to Instrumentation.
- Collaborate with the DCS Admin and SIS focal on managing the overall DCS/SIS lifecycle support agreement with vendors.
- Assist the Maintenance Team Leader to develop, maintain and coordinate a training plan for the new I&E technicians.
- Maintain the central repository on asset sharepoint site for PACO related work process with Technical manuals, System drawings, Software, datasheets, etc.
- Assure that all Health, Safety and Environmental (HSE) related Training specified by regulatory agencies and the company is current and taken within specified time intervals.
- Maintain and continue to enhance personal effectiveness skills. Engage with supervisor and peers to determine potential areas for improving interpersonal and/or organizational skills and pursue training opportunities accordingly.
The Sr. Instrument Engineer is "NOT RESPONSIBLE" for routine maintenance activities or Inspection activities as defined in the separate role and responsibilities for the Instrument inspectors or Instrument technicians but should have capabilities to influence them in their daily roles to drive the required Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) for Managed Equipment Care (MEC) work process. Company Description
Shell is a global group of energy and petrochemicals companies with over 90,000 employees in more than 70 countries and territories. In the US, we have operated for over a century and are a major oil and gas producer onshore and in the Gulf of Mexico, a recognized innovator in exploration and production technology, and a leading manufacturer and marketer of fuels, natural gas and petrochemicals. We deliver energy responsibly; operate safely with respect to our neighbours and work to minimize our environmental impact. We are in search of remarkable people who will thrive in a diverse and inclusive work environment to deliver exciting projects locally and globally. People who are passionate about exploring new frontiers. Innovators and pioneers. People with the drive to help shape our future. Because remarkable people achieve remarkable things.Requirements
- Must have legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer.
- Bachelor's degree in Chemical, Electrical or Mechanical Engineering.
- Minimum ten (10) years of process automation, controls and instrumentation experience with significant experience in instrumentation commissioning, downstream manufacturing operating and plant maintenance experience.
- Experience with Emerson DeltaV DCS and Instrument Asset Management System (iAMS) in a run & maintain phase preferred.
- Experience with control valve and on/off valve diagnostics and troubleshooting preferred.
- Experience in project support and execution.
- Experience in risk analysis with instrument failures and other instrumented layers of protections.
- Extensive Knowledge of Shell corporate policies, HSSE&SP framework, Process safety basic requirements and HEMP processes.
- Extensive knowledge on Design Engineering Practices (DEP), industry standards in Instrumentation and controls area.
- Displays Leadership Attributes for Individual Performers with demonstration of self-directing and results oriented attitude. This person must have the ability to handle multiple tasks with competing priorities while collaborating with the growing Penn Chem Asset and developing roadmap and skillsets to support his/her discipline
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date.
Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Royal Dutch/Shell Group companies around the world.
The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand.
Shell participates in E-Verify.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, citizenship, genetic information or other protected status under federal, state or local laws.
Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disability.