Skills: HSE Manager / Advisor
Experience: 5 + Years
Education: High School/Secondary
Employment Type: Full Time Salaried Employee
Location: Muscat, Muscat Governorate, Oman
No location/work authorization restrictions found.
Shell is participating in the large integrated project that will potentially bring us to the next major phase of growing Oman as one of our key heartlands for the future. This project is being led by Shell, with participation from Total, OOCEP and support from PDO. A new Shell-owned operating entity is being set up for the purpose of managing these operations.
This position is for a project role in the Joint Project Team posted in order to identify a HSSE Permit Coordinator, Pink Project who (if successful in the subsequent development phase of this project) will work with the deal team and UPN on the transition to the eventual operational organization. The aim is to support the early Upstream exploration and development phase of the project all the way to production phase (end 2019), to the eventual operationalization of the full production (2020) and feed to the proposed GTL plant to be constructed (from 2021 onwards).
Expertise is required to support management of Project HSSE permits to ensure compliance with the legal requirements of the Government of Oman via the identification of HSSE permit requirements, supporting preparation permit submissions, tracking of HSSE permit actions and supporting liaison with Government Ministries and other departments as required.
We fully support the Group Diversity and Inclusion standards and will ensure these are adhered to during the selection process. If in reading this Job Broadcast you find that whilst you may not explicitly satisfy all of the stated job criteria, yet you believe that you have something unique to offer to the role, we encourage you to apply.
- Act as the HSSE team permitting focal point;
- Prepare and own the procedure for identifying HSSE permitting requirements in liaison with HSSE team, Legal, ER/GR and others as required;
- Support the HSSE Management Systems and Assurance Lead (once appointed) to establish and maintain an effective HSSE Management System in line with Shell Group requirements;
- Maintain a register of all HSSE permits required to execute Project Pink;
- Liaise with permit owners (e.g. Environment, HSSE Logistics) to ensure timely delivery of HSSE permits;
- Coordinate support from Legal/ER/GR to permitting process as required;
- Support HSSE team in preparing for and undertaking engagement with regulatory authorities e.g. the Ministry of Environment and Climate Affairs, Duqm SEZAD authorities;
- Form an effective working relationship with counterparties within regulatory authorities and undertake liaison to track progression of permits, clarification requests and closure/issue of permits;
- Establish and maintain an effective record keeping system to store all HSSE permits once issued, allowing access to Pink Project team members as required;
- Track validity of permits noting renewal requirements and initiating renewal process with permit owners in a timely manner to ensure permit renewal in advance of expiry; and,
- Report HSSE performance in relation to permit acquisition as required for management reviews, LOD1, 2 & 3 audits;
The Sultanate of Oman is an important upstream heartland for Shell, in which we have been present for over half a century. We have had a long presence in this region through our Petroleum Development Oman and Oman LNG joint ventures, and this new development will significantly strengthen our presence and operations in this important region. A role in the Joint Project Team will give exposure to the following:
- Working in a operating environment with multiple stakeholders;
- Working in an important, high risk and sanctioned environment;
- Extensive collaboration with Joint Venture partner PDO;
- Be part of a Joint Project Team setting up of a Operating Venture for lifecycle value;
- Frequent travel within Oman between Muscat, Mabrouk, and/or Duqm; and,
- Build a network with other functional and operational colleagues in SDO and PDO.
The position shall initially report directly to the HSSE Manager.
The position requires a range of skills and knowledge including but not limited to:
- Working understanding of the HSSE regulatory requirements and stakeholder landscape of Oman;
- Knowledge of Shell's HSSE Management System;
- Conversant with the principles and processes of internationally recognised Environmental Management Systems;
- Excellent administrative skills, with the ability to quickly establish and maintain effective processes and procedures to support acquisition of HSSE permits;
- Effective interpersonal, communications skills and ability to work in multicultural environment effectively and display cross cultural and religious sensitivity; and,
Ability to liaise effectively with colleagues and external stakeholders to manage HSSE permit acquisition in a timely manner
Shell began operations in Oman in 1958. The Shell Oman Marketing Company's downstream activities lie in fuel and lubricants marketing. We believe that our people are our greatest asset, and our commitment to your career progress and learning is our key to become the world's most innovative energy company. Our industry-leading development career programme attracts world-class graduates and experienced hires alike. We will make sure that your ideas will travel on a local and global level. Shell Oman is involved in research, learning & development and managing and executing extensive social investment programmes that contribute to the sustainable development of Oman. The Shell Development Oman Office represents the interests of Shell in Oman, including joint ventures such as Petroleum Development Oman, Shell Oman Marketing and Oman Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG).
5 years experience in HSSE, legal or other appropriate role;
Good working knowledge of Omani HSSE permitting requirements;
Experience in establishing and maintaining business management systems;
Knowledge of HSSE Management System and the principles and processes of internationally recognized Environmental Management Systems;
Ability to manage the HSSE permitting requirements by developing interpersonal relationships, creating strong open relationships with good communications within the team;
Demonstrated experience of external stakeholder engagement and liaison;
Ability to analyze and solve problems;
Competent use of computer and communications systems;
Demonstrated ability to manage knowledge and information;
English and Arabic speaker .
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date.
Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Royal Dutch/Shell Group companies around the world.
The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand.
Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Learn More about Shell: Watch their Life at Shell Video