Experience: 5 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Employment Type: Full Time Salaried Employee
Location: Houston, Texas, United States
In order to apply for this position, applicants MUST meet the following criteria. If your resume does not match these criteria, you will not be able to apply for this position.
U.S. PAYROLL SUPERVISOR
Within the guidelines of departmental policy, the U.S. Payroll Supervisor supervises the centralized payroll support functions within Core Laboratories. The U.S. Payroll Supervisor supervises the payroll staff, ensuring that all processes are compliant with federal, state and local laws and regulations and executed appropriately and timely. The U.S. Payroll Supervisor also serves as the Oracle Payroll and Time and Labor functional expert within the U.S. Payroll group. The U.S. Payroll Supervisor relies on experience and solid business judgment to plan and accomplish goals and meet various deadlines under the general supervision of the US HR Service Center Manager.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The primary job responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Responsible for the supervision of all payroll staff, including Payroll Analyst and Payroll Coordinator.
- Oversees a bi-weekly multi-state payroll, including garnishments, benefits and taxes consistent with federal/state wage and hour laws.
- Manages the monthly Core Lab international payroll process.
- Manages the preparation, reconciliation and transfer of payroll journals to general ledger.
- To ensure data integrity and identify trends, manages bi-weekly trend analysis and communicates data set to Area HR Manager.
- Administers monthly financial reports.
- Oversees garnishments to ensure proper action is taken with the employee's pay element and ensures garnishment files are documented and reconciled as changes occur with the employee's status.
- Manages the reporting of periodic, quarterly, and annual payroll tax files to third-party tax filing service.
- Identifies trends and develops training and communications to improve payroll responsibilities applicable to employees and managers.
- Implements quality control measures to ensure payroll system transactions are working correctly without error.
- Manages the preparation of special reports for senior management.
- Responsible for performing and overseeing testing of the Oracle payroll tax bulletins and system updates.
- Responsible for the calculation and reporting of Stock Award vesting and exercises in accordance with IRS regulations. Responsible for ensuring proper back up is trained for this task.
- Maintains payroll processes within SOX module and acts as liaison to auditors for all payroll inquiries.
- Responsible for the development, deployment and maintenance of all Oracle payroll and time and labor procedures/processes. Ensures such processes and procedures are system driven with little human intervention.
- Reviews and analyzes current payroll and tax procedures, recommending/implementing changes leading to best-practice operations. Ensures all payroll processes are fully documented and staff are trained to such level of executing payroll without guidance.
- Manages overhead allocations and payroll account distributions.
- Manages union agreement rules as applicable to the payroll system and processes.
- Analyzes, recommends and implements solutions to various Payroll processes and system-related processes aimed at improving efficiency of effectiveness of Human Resources.
- Provides functional needs to HRIS Manager for enhancements and development of new programs and applications for payroll processing.
- Partners with all applicable areas of HR in the alignment/implementation of payroll processes as needed.
- Identifies the training needs of Payroll staff, develops the necessary training and ensures training is executed so that all Payroll staff are cross trained and fully capable of producing payroll.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required of a Payroll Supervisor. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. General qualifications include:
- Knowledge of payroll administration, including federal/state regulations required.
- Multi-state payroll and tax experience required.
- Oracle payroll system experience required; Oracle Time and Labor preferred.
- Knowledge of ISO, Non-Qualified and Restricted Stock payroll tax regulations required.
- Child Support/Wage Garnishment administration experience required, including knowledge of federal/state regulations.
- Knowledge of financial mathematics and forecasting techniques required.
- Excellent computer skills required including proficiency with Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Demonstrated leadership and interpersonal skills required, with the ability to adapt to change in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to effectively supervise team members and work within the team.
- Strong oral and written communication skills required.
- Strong time management skills required.
- Attention to detail, excellent organizational skills, and strong analytical skills required.
- Must be able to speak, read, and write English fluently.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
- Minimum five (5) years of in-house payroll experience required.
- Bachelor's degree in accounting or related field. Education may be substituted with four years additional payroll in-house experience.
- Previous supervisory experience preferred.
- Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos.
- Ability to write simple correspondence.
- Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to other employees of the organization.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Ability to apply commonsense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions.
- Ability to deal with problems involving concrete variables in standardized situations.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) preferred.
The physical demands described are those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The employee may be asked to lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described are those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Work takes place in a normal office work environment.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Core Laboratories is a leading provider of proprietary and patented Reservoir Description, Production Enhancement, and Reservoir Management services.
Located with over 70 offices in more than 50 countries in every major oil-producing province in the world. Core Laboratories remains dedicated to providing the technology our client’s need to enhance their production. We continue to develop and acquire technologies that complement our existing products and services, and we disseminate these technologies throughout our global network.
Our Clients are the world’s largest major, national and independent oil companies. Core Laboratories' reservoir optimization technologies are used to increase total recovery from existing fields. Our services enable our clients to optimize reservoir performance and maximize hydrocarbon recovery from their production fields.
Core Laboratories has taken extensive measures to ensure the services and data provided by all of our worldwide companies are of the highest quality and integrity. Our commitment to applying and developing new technologies to optimize reservoir performance is unsurpassed in the oilfield service industry. This commitment to technology and to our client’s bottom line makes Core Laboratories, The Reservoir Optimization Company™.
Our Culture has been defined by over 70 years of business built on the principles of integrity and ethical conduct in the support of our clients. Our continuing primary goal is “to produce a quality product on time at a competitive price” in a manner consistent with these principles. The integrity of our company and ability to provide quality products and services to our clients are the essence of our business.
These same ethical standards are what we expect from our employees. We could not accomplish the extraordinary results we have in our past and will in our future without talented and dedicated employees – such as we have now.
It is the talented and dedicated employees that have positioned Core Laboratories as the leading provider of reservoir- optimizing technologies. You can feel and see this in our culture. Core Laboratories strives to create an environment for our employees so they can advance in their careers enabling both the company and its employees to build value. Our inclusive culture thrives on team-work and mutual respect for our differences. There are opportunities for everyone to grow.