Legal Counsel is responsible for identifying legal risks and issues, operationalizing company's legal strategy and providing legal support and advice on basic as well as more complex legal matters, in order to ensure compliance with applicable laws and regulations, protect Company's legal rights and interests and maintain key legal relationships.
Job holders at this level are experienced lawyers working with a noticeable degree of independence across the organization, and are required to demonstrate the maturity and judgment to analyze legal risks and solve issues, and to address issues escalated from subordinates, while providing them with instructions, coaching, and guidance.
1. Provide high-quality input in the development of COMPANY's legal strategy, in order to achieve short, medium, and long-term objectives.
2. Lead the development and implementation of legal policies, processes, and procedures to ensure all relevant procedural and legislative requirements are fulfilled.
3. Provide advice and guidance on COMPANY's day-to-day activities and operations as well as certain more complex legal and policy matters.
4. Manage day-to-day corporate affairs of COMPANY (corporate governance, compliance).
5. Identify potential legal risks and recommend the appropriate mitigation controls in order to effectively manage risks and protect COMPANY's interests and those of its subsidiaries (as applicable).
6. Develop, update and maintain templates of legal agreements in order to ensure that they can be used when required and in compliance with the appropriate legal guidelines.
7. Draft and review contracts and assist in providing legal interpretation of contracts as needed in order to ensure alignment with COMPANY's legal needs and in compliance with the adequate regulatory frameworks.
8. Draft and develop other legal documents (MoUs, notices, official correspondence, etc.) in line with the appropriate legal framework.
9. Monitor contracts' performance to ensure compliance with contractual obligations and determine the necessity for amendments, extensions, warnings or other actions.
10. Manage and engage in negotiations with stakeholders as required, in order to ensure that COMPANY's interests are safeguarded.
11. Shortlist potential external legal partners, and provide recommendation on the selection of external counsel, in order to ensure the right partners are selected in line with legal needs. Manage communication with COMPANY's external legal counsel.
12. Liaise with the legal community and represent the company externally as required, to contribute in the maintenance of the company's legal relationships.
13. Liaise with internal stakeholders as required with respect to legal matters and opinions, in order to ensure that information, documents, etc. are provided in a timely manner.
14. Keep abreast of changes to legislation, best practice techniques and tools in own area in order to optimize efficiency and levels of service to COMPANY.
15. Perform other related duties or assignments as directed.
Qualifications & Experience
§ Bachelor's degree in law
§ Master's degree in law an advantage
§ at least 3 to 5 years of experience working in a legal position (law firm or in-house)
§ Solid understanding of, and relevant experience in, corporate law and business law (particularly international trade)
§ Bilingual fluency Arabic - English an advantage
§ Ability to manage transactions and issues across diverse jurisdictions requiring extensive experience in managing and coordinating internal and external legal expertise
§ Strong expertise in legal, regulatory and policies matters complemented with substantial commercial exposure and broad knowledge of COMPANY's business operations
§ Ability to draft and negotiate agreements (knowledge of contract law, drafting skills and ability to apply commercial acumen to legal issues), ability to administer existing contracts
§ Excellent organizational awareness, analytical skills, and ability to work under pressure
§ Business acumen and excellent communication skills enabling effective cooperation with COMPANY's management
§ Proficiency in use of relevant information technology and software
§ High degree of rigor and attention to detail
Established in 1978, NES Global Talent provides a complete range of contract and permanent talent solutions to the Oil and Gas, Power, Construction and Infrastructure, Life Sciences, Manufacturing and IT sectors worldwide. With more than 40 offices in 28 countries, we are able to provide our clients with the engineering and technical expertise they need, wherever and whenever it is needed. Offering far more than a traditional recruitment service, we fully support our contractors while they are on assignment with everything from securing visas and work permits, to providing market leading benefits packages and accommodation, ensuring they are safely and compliantly able to support our clients.