~The Sparrows Group is a specialist lifting and mechanical handling contractor that delivers equipment, technology and integrated engineering services to the global energy industry. Our solutions support our clients to optimise their efficiency by ensuring the performance, reliability and safety of critical equipment and people.
With our headquarters in Aberdeen, we employ over 1,600 people across numerous operational locations across the Americas, Europe, Middle East, Africa and Asia Pacific.
We are currently recruiting for a Design Engineer to join our team in Aberdeen. The primary responsibility is to apply engineering knowledge and expertise, build and maintain relationships, financial / contract management, quality orientation, safety leadership and continuous development in all aspects of crane, lifting and support service activities.
Applying Engineering Knowledge and Expertise
• Use engineering knowledge and Skills to deliver technical support within the department.
• Create a comprehensive plan of activities and setting clear objectives for project implementation. Monitor progress against them and take corrective action as needed.
• Administration of assigned design files.
• Develop cost, time and resource schedules and assist in the preparation of proposals and tenders.
• Prepare detailed structural and mechanical calculations, using specialised software packages when necessary, to comply with various international codes and standards.
• Prepare detailed work procedures and reports in relation to projects executed.
• Carrying out site and offshore dimensional and system surveys and preparing detailed survey reports.
• Build and maintain positive and constructive working relationships with customers, sub-contractors, management, team members and other colleagues.
• Work co-operatively and productively with others to ensure planning, technical integrity and successful completion of projects.
• Actively contribute to meetings and discussions.
• Assist with the development of team systems and working methods
• Work within limits of financial authority as dictated by company policy
• Work to agreed quality standards.
• Identify variations from quality standards and recommend improvements.
• Attend, and actively participate in, all training provided by company, whether internally or externally provide
• Carry out continuing professional development necessary to maintain and enhance competence in own area of responsibility.
• Adopt a co-operative attitude towards being assigned alternative or additional duties to that which they are primarily employed.
• Demonstrate honesty and integrity in dealing with people and use behaviour and language which is appropriate for the workplace.
• Must be Degree qualified in a Structural or Mechanical Engineering discipline and/or 4 + years relevant experience in a similar position.
• Demonstrate understanding of engineering documents and drawings.
• Working knowledge of structural and finite element analysis.
• Working knowledge of FS2000, ANSYS, Mathcad or similar analysis software.
• Working knowledge of Autocad & Inventor or similar draughting software.
• Proficient with MS office applications, Word, Excel, Outlook.