Skills: Accounting, Financial Analyst
Experience: 5 + Years
Education: Masters Degree
Employment Type: Full Time Salaried Employee
Location: Houston, Texas, United States
No location/work authorization restrictions found.
The Houston based Finance Advisor - Exploration is a key part of the Global Exploration Finance team which provides all manner of Finance support to RDS exploration ventures in five regions around the globe. More specifically this role supports the North America & Brazil Exploration (NAB) region which is primarily based in Houston and Rio de Janeiro. Finance Advisors serve as the face of Finance to the offshore exploration business portfolio in Canada, the US Gulf of Mexico and North Slope, Mexican Gulf of Mexico and Brazil. They are expected to leverage a broad Finance skillset while working on specific business opportunities or challenges, prioritized based on value and risk. They are responsible for the satisfactory delivery of finance capability required to support a set of clearly defined business outcomes on the opportunity involved which will be delivered by a number of specialty Finance functions within RDS. The Finance Advisor will ensure that (1) Finance risks are integrated into the full value and risk discussion supporting the business decision making for the specific opportunity involved (2) Support the implementation of a robust Business Control Framework and related performance management framework for the specific opportunity involved.
Finance support and assurance in executing commercial deals including commercial framing and providing sound finance input to internal approval documents and external business agreements.
- Provide Finance support for drilling operations in conjunction with Wells finance.
- Champion/manage business and financial controls.
- Provide Finance leadership in defining, managing and mitigating risk, and drive the right discussions/behaviors within the business.
- Co-manage with the business for planning, target setting, budgeting and latest estimates, providing challenge to the business to ensure robust value delivery for every dollar spent.
- Champion cost management and proactively promote cost optimization and joint venture cost recovery to enhance value, providing clear input as new agreements are drafted.
- Act as primary Finance focal point for the financial and accounting set-up and exit of new ventures ensuring the Controller Standard Operating Model is implemented.
- Champion process efficiency and waste elimination in both Finance and business processes; deliver Continuous Improvement Projects.
The NAB Exploration business is one of the largest exploration regions in the RDS global exploration portfolio and offers a dynamic and fast-paced environment; optimizing and evaluating portfolio opportunities by investing in the right ventures and ultimately drilling the right prospects. The NAB region focuses on active exploration in the proven Deepwater heartlands of the US Gulf of Mexico and Brazil, and emerging growth opportunities in Brazil and Mexico.
- Region/country responsibility: US, Mexico, Canada and Brazil
- Dimensions ($): material portion of average annual Global Exploration spend of $2 bln, with regional focus primarily Deepwater, but also conventional offshore Oil & Gas opportunities.
- Interfaces: Manages multiple interfaces with the Business, Commercial, Legal, Tax, Treasury, Contracts & Procurement, and Finance Operations. Interface with external stakeholders such as JV partners, regulatory agencies, etc. Effective stakeholder-management will be key to success in this role.
Finance plays an active role in delivering the business, working across disciplines, on the ground floor of progressing opportunities through the exploration lifecycle: optimizing, evaluating and investing in the right portfolio opportunities, maturing and drilling the right prospects, commercial activities, ensuring decision quality and effective risk management. Must demonstrate flexibility and agility to deploy the appropriate finance skills to address the specific and varying business needs, leveraging a matrix organization while ensuring professional finance rigor is applied to the commercial decision-making process and risk management, bringing analytics and insights to the table.
Shell is a global group of energy and petrochemicals companies with over 90,000 employees in more than 70 countries and territories. In the US, we have operated for over a century and are a major oil and gas producer onshore and in the Gulf of Mexico, a recognized innovator in exploration and production technology, and a leading manufacturer and marketer of fuels, natural gas and petrochemicals. We deliver energy responsibly; operate safely with respect to our neighbours and work to minimize our environmental impact. We are in search of remarkable people who will thrive in a diverse and inclusive work environment to deliver exciting projects locally and globally. People who are passionate about exploring new frontiers. Innovators and pioneers. People with the drive to help shape our future. Because remarkable people achieve remarkable things.
- Must have legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer.
- Bachelor's degree in in Accounting, Finance or related field
- Minimum five (5+) years of professional business experience, MBA preferred
- Strong business partnering and stakeholder management skills; ability to constructively challenge and influence business proposals while sustaining a respectful working relationship with the business.
- Ability to gain the confidence of various internal and external parties building on strong knowledge and understanding of the business drivers, value and risk.
- Broad finance knowledge and expertise with strong analytical experience, diagnostic and economic valuation skills; ability to apply a risk-based, practical approach to problem solving, coupled with the ability to rationalize decisions with significant uncertainty and incomplete information.
- Proven ability to isolate key drivers within the business and effectively distinguish where Finance can make a substantial difference to the business outcomes, based on value and associated risks.
- Strong commercial mindset; bring "Bottom-line edge" in performance conversations to achieve the right outcomes for Shell and understanding of end-to-end value chain
- Self-motivated, with strong personal drive for delivery; capable of identifying and leading team priorities.
- Well-developed written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to operate with resilience in a dynamic rapidly changing environment with high uncertainty; resilience and perseverance whilst dealing with uncertain timelines.
- Understanding of Upstream business is an advantage.
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date.
Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Royal Dutch/Shell Group companies around the world.
The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand.
Shell participates in E-Verify.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, citizenship, genetic information or other protected status under federal, state or local laws.
Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disability.
Learn More about Shell: Watch their Life at Shell Video