Houston, Texas, United States
Houston, Texas, United States
Chevron is one of the world's leading energy companies, with approximately 60,000 employees working in countries around the world. We explore, produce and transport crude oil and natural gas; refine, market and distribute fuels and other energy products; manufacture and sell petrochemical products; generate power; and develop future energy resources, including biofuels and geothermal energy.
Chevron is accepting online applications for the position of Geological and Geophysical Operations Earth Scientist, located in Houston, Texas, through July 26, 2018 at 11:59 p.m. (Eastern Standard Time).
Requisition ID # 381213
Under the general direction of the Geological and Geophysical (G&G) Operations Team Lead, the G&G Operations Earth Scientist provides geotechnical support for well design and drilling operations for Deepwater Gulf of Mexico (GOM) projects. The Operations Earth Scientist will lead efforts focused on pore pressure interpretation and hazard assessment for the well design and planning of exploration and appraisal, major capital project, and asset development wells.
Responsibilities for this position may include but are not limited to:
- During drilling operations, the G&G Operations Earth Scientist will assist the Wellsite Geologist in updating the real-time pore pressure models and provide input to the drilling team with recommendations on mudweight program changes and expectations for casing shoe tests.
- During the planning phase, they will assist in the hazards assessment of well locations through the interpretation of seismic data, well data, and drilling records to generate detailed hazard analyses and supporting documentation.
- Based on the objectives of each well, the Earth Scientist may also lead efforts in establishing the evaluation program, including wireline logging, pressure measurement, fluid acquisition, and coring programs. All of these activities assist drilling performance goals by reducing geologic related non-productive time to increase drilling.
- Master's degree (or a Bachelor's degree along with 10 years of relevant industry experience will be considered in lieu of a Master's degree).
- Five years of relevant experience.
- Applicant will need sufficient flexibility to work occasional long hours and an irregular (infrequent) work schedule, tied to drilling operations.
- Operations Geology and Geophysics:
- Subsurface interpretation skills and ability to interpret 2D and 3D seismic datasets and to integrate well log and mechanical data for construction of drilling hazard assessments, pore pressure models, cross sections, and the interpretation of drilling reports to aid in assessment of potential geologic hazards for well planning. Understanding of well site geologic procedures and services needed to support deepwater drilling operations; experience and understanding of conventional coring, wireline, and LWD formation evaluation tools, operation, and interpretation also a plus.
- Pore Pressure Evaluation Skills
- Ability to evaluate pore pressure and fracture gradient profiles using seismic velocity, well logs, measured pressures, mudweights and drilling information and "real-time" MWD logs using KSI Drillworks Predict, Geolog, Techlog or equivalent software, and provide feedback to drilling team during operations in this area.
- Computer and workstation skills:
- Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office PC tools (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Project, DrillWorks Predict) a must; ability or willingness to interpret structure and stratigraphic features from seismic using Petrel, EPOS Suite, Landmark Seisworks, Gocad or equivalent software, in order to assess drilling hazards and earth science models to support deepwater drill planning and operations.
- Ability as an earth scientist to effectively communicate, interact and make things happen in a G&G operations and drilling engineering process workgroup, fostering cooperation and teamwork across organizational and functional boundaries.
Relocation may be considered.
Expatriate assignments will not be considered.
Chevron regrets that it is unable to sponsor employment Visas or consider individuals on time-limited Visa status for this position.Regulatory Disclosure for US Positions:Chevron is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status, or other status protected by law or regulation. Chevron participates in E-Verify in certain locations as required by law.
Nearest Major Market: Houston
Chevron is one of the world’s leading integrated energy companies. Our success is driven by our people and their commitment to get results the right way – by operating responsibly, executing with excellence, applying innovative technologies and capturing new opportunities for profitable growth. Some of our specialties include generating power and produce geothermal energy; investing in profitable renewable energy and energy efficiency solutions; and developing the energy resources of the future, including researching advanced biofuels.
Our diverse and highly skilled workforce consists of approximately 64,700 employees, including more than 3,200 service station employees. At Chevron, we’re focused on safely delivering the energy needed to power human and economic progress worldwide. But how do we do that when harnessing fossil fuels can be inherently risky? To meet these challenges, Chevron has spent more than 20 years expanding systems that support a culture of safety and environmental stewardship that strives to achieve unequaled performance and prevent all serious incidents and fatalities. We call this Operational Excellence, and it drives everything we do.
Diversity & Inclusion
We’re committed to reflecting in our workforce the rich diversity of cultures and racial and ethnic backgrounds in the communities where we live and work. We’re also devoted to encouraging a diversity of ideas.
Diversity is one of the cornerstones of our values, which we call The Chevron Way. The Chevron Way states:
“We learn from and respect the cultures in which we work. We value and demonstrate respect for the uniqueness of individuals and the varied perspectives and talents they provide. We have an inclusive work environment and actively embrace a diversity of people, ideas, talents and experiences.”
As a core value, diversity is critical to developing a talented, high-performing workforce needed for ongoing business success. The Chevron Way’s focus on people has helped establish a culture that attracts, develops and retains more diverse talent.
We Support Career & Personal Development
We value the importance of managing work/life priorities by offering flexible work schedules, on-site child care at some facilities, adoption assistance, dual-career couple support, scholarships and tuition reimbursement.
At Chevron, you’ll find a workplace committed to your professional development. You’ll receive support and tools to create your own career path, including education assistance support which pays up to 75% of the cost (including tuition, textbooks, lab fees, and registration and administration fees) for approved courses. To strengthen organizational capability, we develop our employees’ and contractors’ skills and experience through our Invest in People strategy. As part of this strategy, discussions focused on continually improving individual performance are held between managers and employees.
Chevron is ranked in the Global Top 10 in Rigzone's Ideal Employer Rankings - find out more here.