Experience: 5 + Years
Education: Masters Degree
Location: Richmond, California, United States
No location/work authorization restrictions found.
Chevron is one of the world's leading energy companies, with approximately 60,000 employees working in countries around the world. We explore, produce and transport crude oil and natural gas; refine, market and distribute fuels and other energy products; manufacture and sell petrochemical products; generate power; and develop future energy resources, including biofuels and geothermal energy.
Chevron is accepting online applications for the position of Analytical Chemist - Special GC located in Richmond, CA California.
This job is for a Gas Chromatography Specialist within the Petroleum and Materials Characterization group (PMC). Our group resides in the Products and Analytical Unit (P&A) division of Chevron Energy Technology Company (ETC). PMC is a group of dedicated people responsible for crude oil and petroleum product characterization and process problem solving using analytical chemistry. PMC analytical expertise covers a wide range, from basic ASTM tests to more sophisticated analytical technologies including ICP-MS, NMR, SEM, TEM, FIMS, XRD, XRF, XPS, advanced asphaltene analyses as well as a variety of hyphenated chromatographic techniques. The individual selected for this position will be required to implement existing gas chromatographic technologies for petroleum and its products to help our domestic and international customers succeed as well as work with others to develop new methods in the special GC lab. The successful candidate will need to have specific experience in gas chromatography and transforming information rich data into knowledge, will possess excellent organizational skill for handling projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment, and have effective oral and written communication skills. Some domestic and international travel (up to 30% of the time) might be required
Responsibilities for this position may include but are not limited to:
- (30-50%) Participate in research and development projects in the areas of multidimensional GC such as GCxGC coupled with FID, MS, SCD, and/or NCD
- (30-50%) Implement existing gas chromatographic techniques for extended gases, sulfur, and nitrogen analysis published by ASTM, IP or GPA.
- (10-30%) Work with laboratory personnel to refine existing laboratory-based technologies to improve throughput, accuracy, and precision. Responsible for equipment troubleshooting, QA/QC, and training laboratory personnel.
- (10-30%) Give international support to gas chromatographic applications.
- MS or Ph.D. in Chemistry.
- 5-years of experience in the oil and gas industry.
- Demonstrated experience in developing and implementing data rich analytical technologies in the areas of gas chromatography and all forms of multidimensional gas chromatography and with the use of chemometrics to transform information rich data into knowledge
- Proven track record including peer-reviewed publications and presentations at technical conferences in gas chromatography
- Proven analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Good organizational skill for handling multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrated effective oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to travel domestic and international up to 30% of time as required.
- Ph.D. in Analytical Chemistry
- 2 or more years of postdoctoral or industrial experience in the analysis of petroleum and petroleum products, and implement existing GC techniques for extended gases, sulfur, and nitrogen analysis published by ASTM, IP or GPA
- Hands-on expertise and demonstrated ability to troubleshoot gas chromatographic instrumentation are highly recommended.
- Experience with various gas chromatographic detectors such as FID, MS, SCD, NCD, ECD, TCD, FPD, PFPD, NPD, VUV, as well as advanced GCxGC chromatographic techniques with various detectors.
- This is a safety sensitive position
Relocation may be considered.
Expatriate assignments will not be considered.
Chevron regrets that it is unable to sponsor employment Visas or consider individuals on time-limited Visa status for this position.Regulatory Disclosure for US Positions: Chevron is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status, or other status protected by law or regulation. Chevron participates in E-Verify in certain locations as required by law.
Nearest Major Market: San Francisco
Nearest Secondary Market: Oakland
Chevron is one of the world’s leading integrated energy companies. Our success is driven by our people and their commitment to get results the right way – by operating responsibly, executing with excellence, applying innovative technologies and capturing new opportunities for profitable growth. Some of our specialties include generating power and produce geothermal energy; investing in profitable renewable energy and energy efficiency solutions; and developing the energy resources of the future, including researching advanced biofuels.
Our diverse and highly skilled workforce consists of approximately 64,700 employees, including more than 3,200 service station employees. At Chevron, we’re focused on safely delivering the energy needed to power human and economic progress worldwide. But how do we do that when harnessing fossil fuels can be inherently risky? To meet these challenges, Chevron has spent more than 20 years expanding systems that support a culture of safety and environmental stewardship that strives to achieve unequaled performance and prevent all serious incidents and fatalities. We call this Operational Excellence, and it drives everything we do.
Diversity & Inclusion
We’re committed to reflecting in our workforce the rich diversity of cultures and racial and ethnic backgrounds in the communities where we live and work. We’re also devoted to encouraging a diversity of ideas.
Diversity is one of the cornerstones of our values, which we call The Chevron Way. The Chevron Way states:
“We learn from and respect the cultures in which we work. We value and demonstrate respect for the uniqueness of individuals and the varied perspectives and talents they provide. We have an inclusive work environment and actively embrace a diversity of people, ideas, talents and experiences.”
As a core value, diversity is critical to developing a talented, high-performing workforce needed for ongoing business success. The Chevron Way’s focus on people has helped establish a culture that attracts, develops and retains more diverse talent.
We Support Career & Personal Development
We value the importance of managing work/life priorities by offering flexible work schedules, on-site child care at some facilities, adoption assistance, dual-career couple support, scholarships and tuition reimbursement.
At Chevron, you’ll find a workplace committed to your professional development. You’ll receive support and tools to create your own career path, including education assistance support which pays up to 75% of the cost (including tuition, textbooks, lab fees, and registration and administration fees) for approved courses. To strengthen organizational capability, we develop our employees’ and contractors’ skills and experience through our Invest in People strategy. As part of this strategy, discussions focused on continually improving individual performance are held between managers and employees.
Chevron is ranked in the Global Top 10 in Rigzone's Ideal Employer Rankings - find out more here.