This position is considered the Company's foremost expert in their assigned discipline. The incumbent brings an outstanding level of research expertise and productivity to the resolution of complex problems in petroleum exploration, production and processing related mainly to unconventional reservoirs. This position is instrumental in the deployment of R&D investments effectively, strategically and efficiently. This position engages in resolving Company's problem with a broad perspective, and transfers the best practices and emerging technologies from all available sources. The incumbent copes with the accelerating rate of change in technology, and stays abreast of new developments in their area of expertise. The incumbent is instrumental in generating innovative ideas, solving technical problems, and helping drive down costs through novel applications of technology.
In addition to the technical leadership, the incumbent will lead a group of dedicated scientists, engineers and technicians that will carry out research to address specific technical challenges. The incumbent will be responsible for the supervision of the scientists, engineers and technicians.
Technical Duties & Responsibilities
• Conceive, design and carry out major applied industrial research studies to resolve complex technical problems and apply the best practices and emerging technologies from all over the world to help maintain the Company's leading position in the oil business
• Develop special long-term research projects to keep the balance between research and focused development for problem solving; approach the operational problems with a broad perspective ensuring that relevant R&D as a capital investment meets specific value targets
• Provide leadership in research and development efforts; determine areas of research based on advanced technologies and changing expectations of proponents
• Advise management on the revision of project tasks to align with proponent operating plans and needs and to ensure that all projects are consistent with business and technological objectives
• Develop ideas for major original research projects to be carried out by less senior specialists; discuss and defend major research proposals with line management and management of proponent organizations
• Develop potentially patentable new equipment and processes for use within area of expertise
• Direct, guide, and counsel others assigned to this discipline; act as a professional mentor to less senior specialists
• Interact with other organizations, including senior management personnel of Aramco, U.S. companies, universities and government agencies on matters relating to area of expertise
• Conduct technical presentations and write papers for peer-reviewed journals on research projects assigned to this position; may be on peer review committees for major journals and international conferences
• Actively participate in work of technical societies, particularly in technical task groups and inter-laboratory research and methods development
• Evaluate major long term trends in area of expertise and advise management on application of new technologies; serve as a major conduit of technology transfer in area of expertise
• Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor
• Develop and/or approve personnel specific project work plans to address key deliverables.
• Monitor project progress and report results to local and remote stakeholders
• Guide and direct employees on yearly, monthly and daily activities to achieve annual targets
• Set annual performance targets for individual employees
• Perform annual employee appraisals including recommendations for promotions and performance improvement plans
• Develop annual budget for research team including individual research projects
• Guide employees career development including training and attendance at professional meetings
• Work with Human Resources to identify and hire additional staff as needed.
Education and Experience
• Ph.D. in science or engineering required
• Twenty (20) years of professional experience, including at least (10) years as a specialist with full responsibility for major technical work in area of expertise required; the incumbent is recognized throughout the industry as a leading expert in their field
• Enough experience and knowledge related to unconventional reservoirs
• Must be able to communicate and comprehend accurately, clearly and concisely in English at a level required to perform the job as outlined and have good interpersonal and communication skills and proficient technical writing skills
• Incumbent should have several publications in their specialty and may serve as an expert reviewer for journals and scientific societies; this ideal candidate is likely to hold patents on inventions in areas of expertise; Incumbent will have had experience as a research project leader; the incumbent should also have had experience in developing research projects to be carried out by more junior specialists
Established in 1978, NES Global Talent provides a complete range of contract and permanent talent solutions to the Oil and Gas, Power, Construction and Infrastructure, Life Sciences, Manufacturing and IT sectors worldwide. With more than 40 offices in 28 countries, we are able to provide our clients with the engineering and technical expertise they need, wherever and whenever it is needed. Offering far more than a traditional recruitment service, we fully support our contractors while they are on assignment with everything from securing visas and work permits, to providing market leading benefits packages and accommodation, ensuring they are safely and compliantly able to support our clients.