Skills: Operations Management, Process Technician
Experience: 2 + Years
Education: Tech/Vocational Cert/Apprenticeship
Location: Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
No location/work authorization restrictions found.
Chevron is one of the world's leading energy companies, with approximately 60,000 employees working in countries around the world. We explore, produce and transport crude oil and natural gas; refine, market and distribute fuels and other energy products; manufacture and sell petrochemical products; generate power; and develop future energy resources, including biofuels and geothermal energy. To learn more, visit the Explore Chevron website.
We operate 100,000 barrels per day refinery in Milnerton, Cape Town, that produces gasoline, diesel, jet fuel, liquefied petroleum gas, fuel oil, paving asphalt and other products. Chevron South Africa also has interests in a lubricant oil manufacturing plant in Durban and maintains a laboratory and blending plant there.
Chevron is accepting online applications for the position of Process Operator located in Milnerton, South Africa through 22 July 2018.
Key Job Responsibilities for this position may include but are not limited to:
- Operates the process: Follows procedures in everyday situations, shutdowns, startups and emergencies, make adjustments, change flows or line-ups as directed by DCS Operator, use and operate plant and equipment, engage in plant housekeeping and sign-off any appropriate CDMS procedures
- Maintains plant and equipment: Prepares and commissions equipment, reports breakdowns and reports any required preventative and safety maintenance, anticipates problems and equipment breakdowns, performs any minor on-shift maintenance in extreme and emergency situations (such as: strainers, small blinds, flanges and greasing of valves)
- Communicates and interprets Information: Writes up and reads log books, communicates with the handover shift, communicates actions taken to DCS operator, communicates with Operations Supervisor, monitors and records plant and equipment conditions
- Handles materials and lab testing and quality: Draws samples for the lab, completes documentation for lab samples, checks stock of consumables and compares with levels, makes up of chemicals, carries out basic lab testing. Performs quality inspections, makes adjustments to restore quality in consultation with the DCS operator
- Health, Environment, and Safety (HES) and emergencies: Monitors safety of equipment, performs plant inspections, reports and covers any unsafe or hazardous conditions, prepares for handling of toxic material / gas, including treatment and disposal, measures, highlights, reports and assists with the removal of fugitive emissions, contributes to HES. Performs emergency drills and participates in emergency response teams, understands and follows safety indicators and emergency procedures, assists other areas in emergencies
- Relationships: Works well with other outside or process operators, DCS operators, Operations Supervisor and Refinery Shift Coordinator, promotes team work, mentors and coaches new and existing operators
- Tertiary qualification – Diploma, B-Tech degree or equivalent
- Willing to work with hazardous materials
- Able to analyze situations and solve problems
- Able to work under pressure and willing to respond to emergency situations is essential
- Has self-motivation and responsibility
- Able to promote a culture of safety and to adhere to rules & regulations
- Good English communications skills
- Willing to work a 12 hour, 5 week shift system (equivalent to a 40-hour week)
- Physical fitness and happy to work outdoors
- Experience within a continuous process/mechanical environment will be an advantage
- Code 08 driver’s license
Relocation will not be considered within Chevron South Africa parameters.
Selected candidates will work in South Africa under the local payroll system and benefits.
Selections will be made in line with the Chevron South Africa Employment Equity plan.
Chevron is one of the world’s leading integrated energy companies. Our success is driven by our people and their commitment to get results the right way – by operating responsibly, executing with excellence, applying innovative technologies and capturing new opportunities for profitable growth. Some of our specialties include generating power and produce geothermal energy; investing in profitable renewable energy and energy efficiency solutions; and developing the energy resources of the future, including researching advanced biofuels.
Our diverse and highly skilled workforce consists of approximately 64,700 employees, including more than 3,200 service station employees. At Chevron, we’re focused on safely delivering the energy needed to power human and economic progress worldwide. But how do we do that when harnessing fossil fuels can be inherently risky? To meet these challenges, Chevron has spent more than 20 years expanding systems that support a culture of safety and environmental stewardship that strives to achieve unequaled performance and prevent all serious incidents and fatalities. We call this Operational Excellence, and it drives everything we do.
Diversity & Inclusion
We’re committed to reflecting in our workforce the rich diversity of cultures and racial and ethnic backgrounds in the communities where we live and work. We’re also devoted to encouraging a diversity of ideas.
Diversity is one of the cornerstones of our values, which we call The Chevron Way. The Chevron Way states:
“We learn from and respect the cultures in which we work. We value and demonstrate respect for the uniqueness of individuals and the varied perspectives and talents they provide. We have an inclusive work environment and actively embrace a diversity of people, ideas, talents and experiences.”
As a core value, diversity is critical to developing a talented, high-performing workforce needed for ongoing business success. The Chevron Way’s focus on people has helped establish a culture that attracts, develops and retains more diverse talent.
We Support Career & Personal Development
We value the importance of managing work/life priorities by offering flexible work schedules, on-site child care at some facilities, adoption assistance, dual-career couple support, scholarships and tuition reimbursement.
At Chevron, you’ll find a workplace committed to your professional development. You’ll receive support and tools to create your own career path, including education assistance support which pays up to 75% of the cost (including tuition, textbooks, lab fees, and registration and administration fees) for approved courses. To strengthen organizational capability, we develop our employees’ and contractors’ skills and experience through our Invest in People strategy. As part of this strategy, discussions focused on continually improving individual performance are held between managers and employees.
Chevron is ranked in the Global Top 10 in Rigzone's Ideal Employer Rankings - find out more here.