Experience: 8 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Employment Type: Full Time Salaried Employee
No location/work authorization restrictions found.
Shell Trading and Supply has an integrated global portfolio of crude oil, LNG, refined products, natural gas, electrical power, chemical feed-stocks and environmental products. Based in the UK, US, Singapore, Canada, The Netherlands, Japan, Barbados, Dubai, and Russia, and with over 7000 employees, Shell Trading and Supply trades on average over 12 million barrels of crude and oil products and 5 million barrels of oil equivalent in natural gas and power each day. Specifically in relation to LNG transportation, Shell is one of the world's largest LNG shipping operators, managing and operating a significant proportion of the global fleet of LNG tankers.
The candidate will be required to provide legal advice and support to Shell's LNG trading business, known as Shell LNG Marketing and Trading (SLMT), to Shell's Singapore Downstream gas sales activities 'Singapore Gas Marketing', to projects with the Shell Energy businesses which have an LNG component as part of their scope. The selected candidate will be:
- Providing legal advice and participating in commercial negotiations in relation to the sale and purchase of LNG (spot, medium and long term) which will include advising on existing and potential LNG sale and purchase arrangements (SPA, NDA, MOU etc.), LNG transportation issues, credit support and guarantee instruments, and potentially contentious operational matters such as Force Majeure and breaches of contract;
- Advising and interfacing with the Contracts Unit, including on master sale and purchase agreements, preparation and updating of standard contracts, knowledge sharing and training, and with other Shell Trading functions, mainly Finance, Credit, Operations, HR and Tax;
- Providing training and day to day advice on Compliance/Code of Conduct issues (anti-trust, anti bribery, gifts and hospitality) and support the Compliance organization in relation to SLMT compliance issues;
- Assisting and supporting the Shell Group in relation to the background and business dimensions of contentious proceedings involving LNG matters; and
- Supporting other aspects of SLMT legal work as may be required, such as legal support to the activities of the Downstream LNG business or the Singapore Gas Marketing Business, as may be required
- Supporting other aspects of Trading and Supply legal work as may be required, depending on business needs or desired development.
Shell is one the largest foreign investors in Singapore and began operations in 1891. Today, we have more than 3,200 employees in Singapore alone. The Pulau Bukom Manufacturing Site today is the largest Shell refinery in the world in terms of crude distillation capacity, which makes Singapore a key regional supply and trading centre for Shell in the East. Singapore is the largest petrochemical production and export centre in the Asia Pacific region. Shell Jurong Island (SJI) manufactures petrochemicals to meet the fast-growing demand for these products in the region. We also have one of the largest single-branded retail networks in Singapore, providing customers with a wide range of quality products and services. When you join Shell in Singapore, you can count on our commitment to help you thrive and propel your career by means of our industry-leading development programme and our available and unrivalled pool of local and global experts. Our numerous global and local skill pools as well as our diversity are key to our success and continuing innovation.
- Law degree and relevant professional qualifications. Around 8 to 12 years post qualification experience.
- Able to work with limited direct supervision.
- Sound knowledge of contract law and sale of goods principles. Ideally, a knowledge of and interest in the legal issues relevant to international commodity trading generally and LNG/gas matters.
- Ability to draft with appropriate understanding and interpretation of the commercial intentions.
- Exposure to international common law and/or civil law contracts.
- Ability to work on a number of issues in parallel.
- Ability to understand and take account of business drivers and needs.
- Ability to develop and sustain relationships with clients across different cultures
- Able to give clear exposition of a legal issue and to provide succinct accurate and comprehensible legal advice.
- Knowledge and experience to identify critical legal risks and strong negotiation and conflict resolution skills.
- This individual must be motivated, self-directed, able to prioritize workload and to work both independently and as a member of a team, while at the same time knowing when to seek advice from the line manager or other senior colleagues
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date.
Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Royal Dutch/Shell Group companies around the world.
The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand.
Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Learn More about Shell: Watch their Life at Shell Video