Houston, Texas, United States
Houston, Texas, United States
Experience: 5 + Years
Education: Tech/Vocational Cert/Apprenticeship
Location: Houston, Texas, United States
No location/work authorization restrictions found.
Chevron is one of the world's leading energy companies, with approximately 60,000 employees working in countries around the world. We explore, produce and transport crude oil and natural gas; refine, market and distribute fuels and other energy products; manufacture and sell petrochemical products; generate power; and develop future energy resources, including biofuels and geothermal energy.
Chevron is accepting online applications for the position of Environmental and Safety Counsel / Senior Counsel, located in Houston, Texas or San Ramon, California, through July 16, 2018 at 11:59 p.m. (Eastern Standard Time).
Requisition ID # 377315
The Environmental & Safety Law Group (E&S Law) provides comprehensive, high quality legal advice, and advocacy to Chevron Corporation and its subsidiaries, operating units, and supporting departments on a global basis. The successful candidate for this position will be based in Houston, Texas or San Ramon, California and will manage a docket of work with environmental and safety law emphasis.
The attorney will be expected to be a subject-matter expert in one or more areas of environmental law (air, water, waste, remediation) or safety law. The ability to work closely with business clients, health, environment & safety (HES) specialists, technical subject matter experts, other in-house counsel, and outside law firms to facilitate effective regulatory compliance and the early and efficient resolution of HES legal issues is essential. Details of the responsibilities and required qualifications are set forth below.
Responsibilities for this position may include but are not limited to:
- Managing an extensive docket of Chevron regulatory, compliance, administrative, policy and enforcement matters related to environmental and safety issues.
- Achieving excellent, cost effective results through strategic case and matter management that emphasizes the attorney's own representation of the client, with judicious, effective use and management of outside counsel when appropriate.
- Creating and maintaining the highest level of client confidence and satisfaction, excellent communication, and unqualified professionalism.
- Maintaining maximum expertise in the attorney's legal fields of responsibility, keeping abreast of policy and regulatory developments, participating with other in-house personnel and with industry associations in providing constructive input to governmental bodies on legislative and regulatory issues, cooperating with and assisting the other members of the group on day-to-day matters, and increasing expertise and the professional reputation of the group as a whole.
- Delivering superior performance and results consistent with the Chevron Way, Operational Excellence, Capital Stewardship, Diversity and Inclusion, while adhering to principles of professionalism and the canons of legal ethics.
- Specific responsibilities for this job include: extensive client counseling in HES laws, rules, regulations, policies, and guidelines; interpretation of HES rules and regulations; extensive work with Chevron's Downstream, Upstream, and Chevron Environmental Management Company; and participation in the selection and oversight of outside counsel for advice and litigation.
- Juris Doctorate required and admission to practice law in at least one state.
- Candidate must have at least 5 years of environmental/safety law experience in regulatory and compliance counseling, investigations, and interpreting and negotiating orders and agreements with broad-based responsibility for a portfolio of legal matters and a demonstrated high level of expertise in at least one environmental media.
- Candidate must have at least 5 years of experience as in-house counsel (or as an outside counsel regularly providing advice) for a large company, preferably a company in the oil and gas industry.
- The candidate must have an excellent academic record, substantial experience as an advocate in administrative proceedings or litigation involving such issues, demonstrated ability to analyze and evaluate legal questions and client needs, strong writing and oral communication skills, and strong client relationship skills.
- An attorney in this position must be a self-starter who is adept at working in a true team environment and partnering with management, clients, other in-house counsel, outside counsel, and staff. At times, this position may involve moderate travel.
- Membership in the Texas or California or state bars is desirable
Relocation may be considered within Chevron parameters.
Expatriate assignments will not be considered.
Chevron regrets that it is unable to sponsor employment Visas or consider individuals on time-limited Visa status for this position. Regulatory Disclosure for US Positions:Chevron is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status, or other status protected by law or regulation. Chevron participates in E-Verify in certain locations as required by law.
Nearest Major Market: Houston