Skills: HSE Manager / Advisor, Safety Officer, Safety Training Rep
Other Skills: Environmental, Safety & Training
Experience: 10 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
No location/work authorization restrictions found.
Chevron is one of the world's leading energy companies, with approximately 60,000 employees working in countries around the world. We explore, produce and transport crude oil and natural gas; refine, market and distribute fuels and other energy products; manufacture and sell petrochemical products; generate power; and develop future energy resources, including biofuels and geothermal energy. To learn more, visit the Explore Chevron website.
We operate 100,000 barrels per day refinery in Milnerton, Cape Town, that produces gasoline, diesel, jet fuel, liquefied petroleum gas, fuel oil, paving asphalt and other products. Chevron South Africa also has interests in a lubricant oil manufacturing plant in Durban and maintains a laboratory and blending plant there.
Chevron is accepting online applications for the position of Safety Team Lead located in Milnerton, South Africa through 11 July 2018.
Key Job Responsibilities for this position may include but are not limited to:
- Supervise Safety Specialist, Health and Environment Services Contractors (Chesm Coordinator), and Incident Investigator Co-coordinators
- Provide expertise, guidance and stewardship in all aspects of safety planning and execution
- Act as safety liaison with the corporation, industry groups and government agencies
- Drives best practices and standardization across the refinery
- Provide guidance and implementation direction on incident and injury free, loss prevention system, behaviour based safety and other corporate processes (early incident management, safe work practices) and initiatives
- Monitor and reviews proposed safety regulations and legislation. Coordinate programs to achieve company compliance to the legislation
- Represent the company on issues related to safety
- Participate in and lead health environment and safety risk assessments. Coordinate program to achieve compliance to local regulations and international best practice
- Participate in operational excellence networks and health environment and safety business improvement networks
- Support operations in process operations north, south, blending and shipping, off sites (including wharf), peripheral areas such as maintenance workshops, fabrication yards, Fire Department, stores and contractor facilities
- Tertiary qualification - B. degree or equivalent
- Minimum of 10 years of work related expereince preferably obtained from the same industry (Refinery)
- Field / operations experience would be an advantage
- Display leadership qualities in giving work direction, training and mentoring
- Solid stakeholder engagement and facilitation skills
- Excellent collaboration skills
- Ability to drive operational excellence in the workplace
- Excellent communications skills to support excellent relations with the regulator and other stakeholders
- Demonstrated ability to identify and build key relationships that contribute to high-class business results
- Demonstrated commitment to Chevron’s values of integrity, partnership and trust and achieving an incident and injury free environment
Relocation may be considered within Chevron South Africa parameters.
Selected candidates will work in South Africa under the local payroll system and benefits.
Selections will be made in line with the Chevron South Africa Employment Equity plan.
Chevron is one of the world’s leading integrated energy companies. Our success is driven by our people and their commitment to get results the right way – by operating responsibly, executing with excellence, applying innovative technologies and capturing new opportunities for profitable growth. Some of our specialties include generating power and produce geothermal energy; investing in profitable renewable energy and energy efficiency solutions; and developing the energy resources of the future, including researching advanced biofuels.
Our diverse and highly skilled workforce consists of approximately 64,700 employees, including more than 3,200 service station employees. At Chevron, we’re focused on safely delivering the energy needed to power human and economic progress worldwide. But how do we do that when harnessing fossil fuels can be inherently risky? To meet these challenges, Chevron has spent more than 20 years expanding systems that support a culture of safety and environmental stewardship that strives to achieve unequaled performance and prevent all serious incidents and fatalities. We call this Operational Excellence, and it drives everything we do.
Diversity & Inclusion
We’re committed to reflecting in our workforce the rich diversity of cultures and racial and ethnic backgrounds in the communities where we live and work. We’re also devoted to encouraging a diversity of ideas.
Diversity is one of the cornerstones of our values, which we call The Chevron Way. The Chevron Way states:
“We learn from and respect the cultures in which we work. We value and demonstrate respect for the uniqueness of individuals and the varied perspectives and talents they provide. We have an inclusive work environment and actively embrace a diversity of people, ideas, talents and experiences.”
As a core value, diversity is critical to developing a talented, high-performing workforce needed for ongoing business success. The Chevron Way’s focus on people has helped establish a culture that attracts, develops and retains more diverse talent.
We Support Career & Personal Development
We value the importance of managing work/life priorities by offering flexible work schedules, on-site child care at some facilities, adoption assistance, dual-career couple support, scholarships and tuition reimbursement.
At Chevron, you’ll find a workplace committed to your professional development. You’ll receive support and tools to create your own career path, including education assistance support which pays up to 75% of the cost (including tuition, textbooks, lab fees, and registration and administration fees) for approved courses. To strengthen organizational capability, we develop our employees’ and contractors’ skills and experience through our Invest in People strategy. As part of this strategy, discussions focused on continually improving individual performance are held between managers and employees.
Chevron is ranked in the Global Top 10 in Rigzone's Ideal Employer Rankings - find out more here.