Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland, United Kingdom
In order to apply for this position, applicants MUST meet the following criteria. If your resume does not match these criteria, you will not be able to apply for this position.
Oceaneering is a global provider of engineered services and products, primarily to the offshore energy industry. We develop products and services for use throughout the lifecycle of an offshore oilfield, from drilling to decommissioning. We operate the world's premier fleet of work class ROVs. Additionally, we are a leader in offshore oilfield maintenance services, umbilicals, subsea hardware, and tooling. We also use applied technology expertise to serve the defense, entertainment, material handling, aerospace, science, and renewable energy industries.
Duties & Responsibilities
Supporting the Regional Legal Counsel with day-to-day legal tasks, regulatory filings and general company secretarial duties and undertaking administrative and secretarial duties.
- Providing paralegal and administrative support for the Regional Legal Counsel in relation to corporate governance and Company’s operations in Europe, Africa, Middle East and Asia Pacific in a timely and effective manner and in conformity with Company policies and procedures, Corporate Legal advice, and the guidance of the Regional Legal Counsel, Tax, Insurance, HSE and other specialist functions and applicable law.
- Supporting the Regional Legal Counsel in all stages of commercial and corporate legal transactions including preparation of documents necessary to minimise legal risk and to comply with local and overseas regulations.
- Assisting the Regional Legal Counsel with the provision of legal support for commercial transactions, risk management, corporate governance, real estate conveyances, representation and other intermediary arrangements, joint venture and cooperation arrangements, employee relations, intellectual property, confidential disclosures, licenses, and acquisitions and divestitures in the Company’s operations in Europe, Africa, Middle East and Asia Pacific in coordination with Regional management, Corporate Legal and other specialist functions.
- Promoting awareness of legal risks within the region’s business management and contracting and other specialists through internal training and counselling.
- Assisting the Regional Legal Counsel in providing functional (legal) training and oversight of regional contracting staff.
- Liaising with Corporate and other Regional Legal Counsel, other specialists and colleagues on regional and global policies, procedures and initiatives as otherwise as required.
- Assisting the Regional Legal Counsel and participate in the development and implementation of Corporate compliance programs, including training employees (onshore and offshore employees) and business associates on the Company’s Code of Business Conduct and related policies and procedures, including the Company’s Anti-Corruption Compliance Policy.
- Assisting the Regional Legal Counsel with the incorporation and formation of new companies as instructed by the Regional Legal Counsel and necessary to support the Company’s operations in Europe, Africa, Middle East and Asia Pacific and to ensure the Company is compliant with its in-country registration obligations.
- Creating and maintaining an annual timetable for legal and regulatory compliance reporting for individual business units and entities arising from the Company operations in Europe, Africa, Middle East and Asia Pacific.
- Maintaining records of annual returns and other statutory filings as required.
- Maintaining and updating the Company’s corporate entity information on the Company’s chosen database.
- Drafting power of attorneys (POA) and maintaining the POA register / diarising expiry dates.
- Arranging the notarisation and legalisation of documentation including liaising with notary publics and embassy staff in Europe, Africa, Middle East and Asia Pacific.
- Supporting the Commercial Departments in the review / completion of pre-tender due diligence questionnaires and maintaining the due diligence register.
- Carrying out Legal and factual research including the review and monitoring of new and updated laws and regulations and preparing memorandums of advice for the Regional Legal Counsel and / or other departments are instructed / required.
- Assisting the Regional Legal Counsel with the management of external legal advisers in a timely and cost efficient manner.
- Flexible to travel throughout Europe, Africa, Middle East and Asia Pacific to Company and Client premises and to meet with external legal advisers as required from time to time.
- Other duties as assigned by the Regional Legal Counsel and Corporate Legal.
- Ensure that the Safety policies and procedures are understood and adhered to so far as is reasonably practicable in order to ensure a safe working environment.
- Carry out work in accordance with the Company Health, Safety, Environmental and Quality Systems.
- Perform the assigned tasks with due diligence regarding the Integrated Management Systems on the Company.
- Eliminate waste of whatever form, to suggest the use of more environmentally friendly substances and practices and contribute to the continuous improvement of the environment.
- This position has NO direct supervisory responsibilities.
- Regional Legal Counsel
- Experience with a law firm or in-house legal department of a multi-national company in the UK performing work as described above under Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- LLB from a UK university or equivalent law degree from another common-law jurisdiction
- Or Associates’ or bachelor’s plus a Law Graduate Diploma GDL/CPE Graduate Diploma.
- Legal Practice Course (PG Dip) from a UK university or equivalent from another common-law jurisdiction.
- Paralegal certificate with significant experience as a legal assistant.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Other Characteristics
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Analytical - Synthesizes complex or diverse information; Collects and researches data; Uses intuition and experience to complement data; Designs work flows and procedures.
- Design - Generates creative solutions; Translates concepts and information into images; Uses feedback to modify designs; Applies design principles; Demonstrates attention to detail.
- ProblemSolving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Project Management - Develops project plans; Coordinates projects; Communicates changes and progress; Completes projects on time and budget; Manages project team activities.
- Technical Skills - Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; Pursues training and development opportunities; Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; Shares expertise with others.
- Customer Service - Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; Responds promptly to customer needs; Solicits customer feedback to improve service ; Responds to requests for service and assistance; Meets commitments.
- Interpersonal Skills - Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without interrupting; Keeps emotions under control; Remains open to others' ideas and tries new things.
- Oral Communication - Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Demonstrates group presentation skills; Participates in meetings.
- Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Varies writing style to meet needs; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
- Teamwork - Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; Supports everyone's efforts to succeed.
- Business Acumen - Understands business implications of decisions; Displays orientation to profitability; Demonstrates knowledge of market and competition; Aligns work with strategic goals.
- Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget; Develops and implements cost saving measures; Contributes to profits and revenue ; Conserves organizational resources.
- Diversity - Demonstrates knowledge of EEO policy; Shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences; Educates others on the value of diversity; Promotes a harassment-free environment; Builds a diverse workforce.
- Ethics - Treats people with respect; Keeps commitments; Inspires the trust of others; Works with integrity and ethically; Upholds organizational values.
- Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; Completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; Supports organization's goals and values; Benefits organization through outside activities; Supports affirmative action and respects diversity.
- Strategic Thinking - Develops strategies to achieve organizational goals; Understands organization's strengths & weaknesses; Analyzes market and competition; Identifies external threats and opportunities; Adapts strategy to changing conditions.
- Judgment - Displays willingness to make decisions; Exhibits sound and accurate judgment; Supports and explains reasoning for decisions; Includes appropriate people in decision-making process; Makes timely decisions.
- Motivation - Sets and achieves challenging goals; Demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles; Measures self against standard of excellence; Takes calculated risks to accomplish goals.
- Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Plans for additional resources; Sets goals and objectives; Organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; Develops realistic action plans.
- Professionalism -Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility or own actions; Follows through on commitments.
- Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Quantity - Meets productivity standards; Completes work in timely manner; Strives to increase productivity; Works quickly.
- Safety and Security - Observes safety and security procedures; Determines appropriate action beyond guidelines; Reports potentially unsafe conditions ; Uses equipment and materials properly.
- Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Attendance/Punctuality - Is consistently at work and on time; Ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; Arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
- Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals.; Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
- Initiative - Volunteers readily; Undertakes self-development activities; Seeks increased responsibilities; Takes independent actions and calculated risks; Looks for and takes advantage of opportunities; Asks for and offers help when needed.
- Innovation - Displays original thinking and creativity; Meets challenges with resourcefulness; Generates suggestions for improving work; Develops innovative approaches and ideas; Presents ideas and information in a manner that gets others' attention.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have complete knowledge of Microsoft Office and Gmail. Basic proficiency with online searching.
We offer a competitive salary, a comprehensive benefits package, relocation support and the opportunity to advance in an international company. To apply, click 'Apply Now'.
Oceaneering develops products and services for use throughout the lifecycle of an offshore oilfield, from drilling to decommissioning. The company is the world's largest manufacturer and operator of work class Remotely Operated Vehicles (ROVs) and is also a leader in offshore oilfield maintenance services, workover control systems, asset integrity services, umbilicals, subsea hardware and tooling. Oceaneering also serves the aerospace, defense and theme park industries.