Experience: 10 + Years
Education: High School/Secondary
Employment Type: Full Time Salaried Employee
Location: Houston, Texas, United States
No location/work authorization restrictions found.
Professional, timely, cost-effective, and practical legal advice and support to Trading and Supply's Shell Energy North America (SEAm) business, with a focus on Power and Environmental Products but the ability to cover all GPE product lines and business areas, all at an experienced level.
The selected candidate will:
- Proactively identify legal risks and alternative strategies across multiple work streams, often in areas of first impression and in a fast-paced environment;
- Act as a senior member of the legal team, guiding and mentoring more junior attorneys;
- Ensure documents reflect accurately commercial decisions, at all times consistent with legal obligations and the Shell Control Framework;
- Provide legal advice and participate in commercial negotiations in relation to complex and/or structured sale and purchases of power and environmental products including advising on existing and potential sale and purchase arrangements (PPA etc.), credit support and guarantee instruments, structured financing transactions, and potentially contentious operational matters such as force majeure and breaches of contract;
- The candidate will also be expected to help support global power and environmental products developments across the LSTS / Trading global networks and to assist in the training and mentoring of others within LSTS in these processes, specifically in Latin America;
- Advise and interface with the Contracts Unit, including on master agreements, preparation and updating of standard contracts, knowledge sharing and training, and with other Shell Trading functions, mainly Finance, Credit, Operations and Tax;
- Provide training and day to day advice on Compliance/Code of Conduct issues (Antitrust, ABC/AML, Data Privacy);
- Assist and support the Shell Litigation Group in relation to the background and business dimensions of contentious proceedings; and
- Support other aspects of Trading and Supply legal work as may be required, depending on business needs or desired development.
Shell is a global group of energy and petrochemicals companies with over 90,000 employees in more than 70 countries and territories. In the US, we have operated for over a century and are a major oil and gas producer onshore and in the Gulf of Mexico, a recognized innovator in exploration and production technology, and a leading manufacturer and marketer of fuels, natural gas and petrochemicals. We deliver energy responsibly; operate safely with respect to our neighbours and work to minimize our environmental impact. We are in search of remarkable people who will thrive in a diverse and inclusive work environment to deliver exciting projects locally and globally. People who are passionate about exploring new frontiers. Innovators and pioneers. People with the drive to help shape our future. Because remarkable people achieve remarkable things.
- Must have legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer.
- JD from an accredited US law school is required.
- Minimum ten (10+) years experience as a Licensed Attorney in good standing in Texas or another state in the United States (or have the ability to become immediately eligible to be admitted to the State Bar of Texas).
- Extensive transactional experience with demonstrated ability to draft with appropriate understanding and interpretation of the commercial intentions.
- Understanding of the main legal areas relevant to the purchase and sale of electricity, environmental products and other commodities, as well as the transportation / transmission, storage and other handling of such products and related services.
- Demonstrated ability to create and implement work process improvements in business-critical areas with an emphasis on compliance with existing laws and the Shell Control Framework generally, while ensuring the adopted processes are cost-effective and easily implemented by others.
- Demonstrated ability to work on a number of critical matters in parallel.
- Ability to work as part of a team and to develop and sustain relationships with business partners at all levels and in a range of cultures.
- Ability to understand and take account of key business drivers and needs
- Able to give clear exposition of a legal issue and to provide succinct accurate and comprehensible legal advice.
- Strong academic background and capable of applying jurisprudence in real situations.
- Strong Influencing, negotiating and facilitation skills.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Fluent written and spoken English. Ability to work in Spanish and/or Brazilian Portuguese is useful.
- Transactional background.
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date.
Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Royal Dutch/Shell Group companies around the world.
The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand.
Shell participates in E-Verify.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, citizenship, genetic information or other protected status under federal, state or local laws.
Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disability.
Learn More about Shell: Watch their Life at Shell Video