Canonsburg, Pennsylvania, United States
Canonsburg, Pennsylvania, United States
Skills: Piping Engineer
Experience: 10 + Years
Education: Some College
Location: Canonsburg, Pennsylvania, United States
No location/work authorization restrictions found.
Oversees the implementation and completion of all phases of assigned projects, and independently performs the most difficult design assignments requiring the application of advanced design techniques in accordance with company and industry standard and codes.
Responsible for a group of designers/drafters assigned to a single project or working in a specialized field, including performance and salary evaluation.
Normally requires a high school graduate with vocational-technical training in basic drafting technology and typically a minimum of 10 years related experience (or equivalent working knowledge/experience) or a two-year degree in drafting/design in technology and eight (8) years related experience.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
Incumbent must be able to demonstrate a sound understanding of design concepts with minimal engineering input and a proficiency in utilizing manual and computer-assisted techniques for moderately difficult design applications. Must be able to resolve day-to-day project-related employee problems.
TYPICAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Establishes design criteria for all phases of a project requiring the application of basic engineering principles, material properties, and a familiarity with construction, installation, and maintenance procedures. Also, responsible for establishing manpower requirements, man-hour estimates, and completion schedules.
- Provides conceptual input to projects during the planning stages.
- Regularly assigns tasks to lower-level design personnel, provides technical guidance, and reviews completed assignments for accuracy. Participates in performance appraisal process by conduction periodic coaching and progress review sessions with employees assigned to projects.
- Prepares detail and layout drawings and sketches of unusual, complex, or original designs requiring the application of theoretical and practical engineering knowledge. Assignments regularly include determining material needs and performing necessary calculations using accepted formulas and references.
- Supports field assignments and leads field walkdowns as required.
- Reviews manufacturers' or fabricators' prints for conformance with contract specifications. Provides lower-level design/drafting personnel with design sketches for preparation of finished design drawings, general layouts, and guidance in refining technical requirements.
- Regularly interfaces with other departments, clients, vendors, and project engineer in order to support project production and to resolve conflicting priorities.
- Performs other related tasks in support of project engineer that are non-routine and complex in nature, such as writing procedures and specifications; analyzing bids; compiling and analyzing various engineering design and/or data: estimating, etc.
- Participates in the interviewing, selection and training of new employees.
Ability to read, analyze and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports and legal documents. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from clients, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Ability to write speeches and articles for publication that conform to prescribed style and format. Ability to effectively present information to senior management, public groups and/or boards of directors.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts such of basic algebra and geometry.
Occasionally may conduct or participate in a field trip to an operating plant or construction site. This requires normal hearing, the ability to stand, walk, reach, climb and balance, clear close and distance vision, depth perception and the ability to focus. Lifting up to 25 pounds may be required.
Normal work environment will be a business office with moderate noise. Occasionally may visit or be temporarily assigned to work in an operating plant or at a construction site. This may require exposure to outdoor weather conditions, loud noise, work near moving mechanical parts, electrical energy, construction equipment, vibration, fumes, chemicals and airborne particles.