Overview / Responsibilities
Wood Environment & Infrastructure Solutions is currently seeking an Entry Level Geotechnical Engineer to join our team in Phoenix, AZ. This individual will provide entry level geotechnical engineering and field services support to Wood’s project managers responsible for delivering geotechnical and geologic projects to our public and private sector clients. This position will support a wide variety of projects including transportation, mining, site characterization, flood control, dams, levees, pavements, and other civil works projects.
The ideal candidate will have a solid educational background in engineering fundamentals with some course work in geotechnical engineering, as well as excellent interpersonal skills, excellent written and verbal communication skills and will be a proactive problem solver. This position offers the opportunity to work with, learn from, and be mentored by senior engineering staff while executing the following roles/responsibilities:
- Perform field work and coordination as well as provide technical oversight during site exploration and site characterization studies under limited supervision
- Documentation, classification of soil and rock, and technical review of laboratory test results
- Preparation and technical review of soil and rock boring logs
- Geotechnical engineering analyses
- Collaboration and participation in technical discussions with Wood staff
- Represent Wood and interact with clients and subcontractors while performing project assignments
- Understand and apply safety requirements on project assignments
- Will travel to project sites primarily in Arizona with the occasional overnight travel
Skills / Qualifications
- Minimum B.S. in civil engineering
- EIT is required or the ability to obtain the EIT within 6 months of hire
- 0 - 2 years relevant experience
- Proficient with Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Experience with AutoCAD and/or SLOPE/W & SEEP/W a plus but not required
- Strong writing and communication skills in English
- Strong academic background and understanding of soil mechanics and engineering principles
- Good communication, report writing, interpersonal and presentation skills
- Superior time management, planning and ability to interact with clients
- Physical requirements may require lifting up to 40 pounds and traversing over rugged terrain
- Must pass drug test, physical, background check and must have a satisfactory driving record in accordance with the Company's driving (MVR) policy
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 55,000 people, with revenues of around $10 billion. We provide performance driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets including the upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, power & process, environment and infrastructure, clean energy, mining, nuclear and general industrial sectors. We strive to be the best technical services company to work with, work for and invest in.
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 55,000 people, with revenues of over $11 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets including upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, chemicals, environment and infrastructure, power & process, clean energy, mining, nuclear and general industrial sectors. We strive to be the best technical services company to work with, work for and invest in.
Wood is ranked in the Global Top 30 in Rigzone's Ideal Employer Rankings - find out more here.