Skills: Laboratory Ops / Tech
Experience: 2 + Years
Education: High School/Secondary
Employment Type: Full Time Salaried Employee
Location: Michigan City, Indiana, United States
No location/work authorization restrictions found.
Shell is looking for a Laboratory Technician to provide timely and accurate quality control and quality assurance test results for products produced at our Michigan City plant. The position relies on safe and environmentally sound plant operations.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Collect composite and grab samples from the plant.
- Following standard procedures, perform required analytical tests on samples.
- Perform quality control testing on composite samples of railcars and overseas shipping containers, following standard analytical procedures.
- Enter analytical results into quality reporting database in an accurate and timely manner.
- Perform required testing on reference samples to ensure quality of results generated, responding to any out-of-control signals on reference sampled SPC control charts.
- Perform required preventative maintenance and ISO Quality Management System (QMS) -required calibrations on laboratory instruments.
- Analyze samples sent from other sites (e.g., receiving sites, MTS, R&D).
- Arrange for safe and procedurally-correct recycle of mercury and disposal of mercury-containing waste.
- Coordinate the procurement of reagents and other supplies and services needed to run the laboratory.
- Coordinate the shipment of samples from the Michigan City laboratory, including standard sample requests from head office.
- Apply ISO Quality Management System (QMS) procedures/standards critical to product realization and conformity requirements
- Maintain a clean and hygienic work environment in the laboratory.
HSSE roles and responsibilities:
Comply with all HSSE regulations, policies, standards, and practices including, but not limited to: identifying and wearing all necessary PPE; properly labeling all containers; reporting all incidents - including all injuries/illnesses, spills/releases, property damage, and security incidents; participating in and complying with safe work permitting; maintaining all assigned areas in a clean and orderly condition; actively participate in haz-ops, JSA reviews, safety meetings, and other HSSE activities as assigned; and perform all necessary audits.
Shell is a global group of energy and petrochemicals companies with over 90,000 employees in more than 70 countries and territories. In the US, we have operated for over a century and are a major oil and gas producer onshore and in the Gulf of Mexico, a recognized innovator in exploration and production technology, and a leading manufacturer and marketer of fuels, natural gas and petrochemicals. We deliver energy responsibly; operate safely with respect to our neighbours and work to minimize our environmental impact. We are in search of remarkable people who will thrive in a diverse and inclusive work environment to deliver exciting projects locally and globally. People who are passionate about exploring new frontiers. Innovators and pioneers. People with the drive to help shape our future. Because remarkable people achieve remarkable things.
- High school degree.
- Two years of college, high school chemistry or equivalent experience.
- Computer skills including Microsoft Office applications.
- Ability to travel as required for training and company business.
- Ability to prepare and present training sessions.
- Ability to communicate on the telephone.
- Ability to write procedures, policies and correspondence.
- Broad knowledge of chemical laboratory bench work practices.
The position is part of a (24/7) rotating shift. You must be able to work in excess of the normal 40-hour workweek, including non-standard hours.
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date.
Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Royal Dutch/Shell Group companies around the world.
The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand.
Shell participates in E-Verify.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, citizenship, genetic information or other protected status under federal, state or local laws.
Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disability.
Learn More about Shell: Watch their Life at Shell Video