Experience: 3 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Houston, Texas, United States
In order to apply for this position, applicants MUST meet the following criteria. If your resume does not match these criteria, you will not be able to apply for this position.
Authorized to work in: US
Shell is a global group of energy and petrochemicals companies with over 90,000 employees in more than 70 countries and territories. In the US, we have operated for over a century and are a major oil and gas producer onshore and in the Gulf of Mexico, a recognized innovator in exploration and production technology, and a leading manufacturer and marketer of fuels, natural gas and petrochemicals. We deliver energy responsibly; operate safely with respect to our neighbours and work to minimize our environmental impact. We are in search of remarkable people who will thrive in a diverse and inclusive work environment to deliver exciting projects locally and globally. People who are passionate about exploring new frontiers. Innovators and pioneers. People with the drive to help shape our future. Because remarkable people achieve remarkable things.
Shell has an open Patent Agent position within Legal Services Intellectual Property (LSIP). The position shall report to a Managing Counsel in the Downstream IP organization led by the Associate General Counsel, Downstream IP.
The Patent Agent shall be responsible for a broad range of intellectual property services to one or more global Shell businesses. While patent drafting and prosecution is a key activity, the role expands into active participation in IP strategy definition, under the guidance of the Associate General Counsel/Managing Counsel and senior members of the team, and implementing the IP strategy in a broader context in order to support the business in achieving its goals with a clear commercial focus, collaborative mindset, and consciousness for cost and resources in the execution.
- Providing pro-active cost effective and efficient IP services tailored to the needs and priorities of one or more of Shell’s businesses, including interacting and managing relationships globally with technical, business and legal personnel;
- Maintaining an understanding the relevant Shell businesses, including knowledge of relevant business and technology strategies, R&D activities and commercialization plans, portfolios of IP rights and assets;
- Collaborating with businesses and leadership to align IP strategies with business, technology and commercialization plans;
- Implementing IP strategies in a cost-and resource-efficient way by providing a broad range of IP advice and services, including the securing and maintaining of appropriate worldwide protection for Shell IP, drafting and prosecuting patent applications, advice on the protection of confidential information and trade secrets, publication strategies, etc.;
- Identifying IP risks to Shell businesses worldwide and managing them, where appropriate in collaboration with IP attorneys;
- Maintaining expertise in patent laws of home jurisdiction; demonstrating ability to work within a field characterized by much uncertainty; maintaining a working knowledge of patent laws, regulations and processes throughout the world;
- Following and mastering relevant technology developments, both internally and externally;
- Supporting the development of budgets and exercising appropriate control over internal and external costs;
- Demonstrating commercial acumen and drive to continuous improvement, working with business partners on opportunities to monetize or otherwise create tangible value from IP, exercising cost consciousness and value focus in both internal and external dimension of the work;
- Collaborating and networking, on a global scale, with patent and agreements attorneys in the LSIP team, members of the global Legal team and other global functions.
Bachelor's degree in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Bio-Chemistry, Petroleum Engineering or similar. Neighboring field such as Physics shall be considered.
- PhD preferred
- USPTO Patent Bar registration required
- At least 3 years’ experience managing, developing and prosecuting global patent portfolios
- Previous in-house experience preferred
- Thorough understanding of U.S. patent law and good working knowledge of major foreign patent laws and practices
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Fluent in English
- Outstanding analytical skills, conscientious, reliable, eye for quality and detail.
- Result and value focused, able to manage priorities and deadlines under pressure, pro-active collaborator and business partner, providing actionable advice despite remaining uncertainties, commercial acumen.
- *This position will not include agreements work
Learn More about Shell: Watch their Life at Shell Video