Tax & Royalty Lead
Marathon Oil became an independent E&P company on July 1, 2011. Based in Houston, we're focused on the most significant oil-rich resource plays in the U.S. -- the Eagle Ford in Texas, Northern Delaware in New Mexico, STACK and SCOOP in Oklahoma, and the Bakken in North Dakota. We also have international operations in Europe and Africa. While we feel like a start-up in many ways, our roots go back 130 years to our company's formation in 1887. Our stock is traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the ticker symbol: MRO. Our strategy is focused on the lower cost, higher margin U.S. resource plays that are liquids rich. Our playbook is simple: a strengthened balance sheet, relentless focus on costs, simplifying and concentrating our portfolio, and profitable growth within cash flows.
This position reports to the Tax & Royalty Supervisor within the Accounting Organization and will be responsible for tax and royalty disbursements and filings for the Company’s US assets. This position will interface regularly with Revenue Accounting, Production Reporting, Land and Legal. The incumbent will need to demonstrate strong problem solving, organizational, communication, and collaboration skills and a high level of initiative to realize department deliverables and goals within aggressive deadlines.
- Focus most of their efforts on analysis, interpretation and problem-solving.
- Review and analyze monthly tax and royalty financial results, including tax and royalty accruals, payable reconcilements and general ledger account reconcilements. Ensure monthly tax and royalty variance explanations are prepared.
- Prepare and analyze tax incentive savings and penalty and interests.
- Handle the most complex assignments.
- Possess superior knowledge and understanding of tax and royalty regulations and stay abreast of new regulations.
- Ensure timely filing of required reporting.
- Maintain positive working relationships with the tax and royalty regulatory agencies.
- Enhance and create new systems and processes to ensure functions are performed in the most effective and efficient manner.
- Function as project leader on complex projects and ensures successful completion.
- Ensure timely resolution of tax, royalty, litigation and property acquisition & disposition issues and requests.
- Demonstrate initiative in seeking additional responsibility.
- Work with Supervisor to monitor departmental expectations through planning and goal setting.
- Assist in developing and providing direction to accounting team through coordination and leadership.
- Work with Supervisor to mentor and develop departmental personnel. Bring attention to the Supervisor of personnel issues.
- Provide input to Supervisor on staff performance reviews.
- Interact with other departmental personnel to improve departmental communication.
- Ensure accounting and reporting is being performed timely and accurately, in compliance with Marathon policies.
- Assist Supervisor with ensuring establishment and maintenance of proper internal accounting controls, including those associated with SOX processes and associated maps.
- Degree: Bachelors degree in Accounting/Finance strongly preferred
- Certifications: MBA/CPA preferred
- Computer Proficiencies: SAP PRA or equivalent revenue systems and Excel
- Work Experience: 10+ years O&G experience required with tax and royalty focus. Experience in Texas, New Mexico, Oklahoma and North Dakota is a plus.
Marathon Oil Corporation (NYSE: MRO) is an independent oil and natural gas exploration and production company based in Houston, Texas. With a material position in four of the best oil-rich U.S. resource plays in different stages of development, we offer a variety of career opportunities, whether-you're a recent college graduate or an experienced professional. You'll have the tools to develop and refine the skills and knowledge you-need to succeed.
Marathon Oil Company will take the necessary action to ensure that applicants are treated without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, age, disability, national origin, sexual orientation, genetic information, veteran status or other protected status under applicable employment law.
If you are a current Marathon employee please use the ERP website to submit referrals.
Marathon Oil – Where You Can Make A Difference
Marathon Oil became an independent E&P company on July 1, 2011. Based in Houston, we're focused on the most significant oil-rich resource plays in the U.S. -- the Eagle Ford in Texas, Permian in New Mexico, STACK and SCOOP in Oklahoma, and the Bakken in North Dakota. We also have international operations in Europe and Africa. While we feel like a start-up in many ways, our roots go back 130 years to our company's formation in 1887. Our stock trades on the New York Stock Exchange under the ticker symbol MRO.
We’re on a transformative path, with a variety of exceptional opportunities for people who are up to the challenge. If that’s you – if you’re seeking a challenge and ready to make a difference – you could be the right fit to help drive our future. Our U.S. exploration and development assets offer energy professionals exposure to projects from early-stage evaluation through production. Our producing international assets provide a broader perspective on the world’s energy challenges.
We have more than just opportunity to offer. We’re invested in equipping our people for an entire career – from advancing technical skills through to developing the leadership behaviors and skills that will take our business forward. Our competitive compensation and benefits package goes beyond the basics to include a wellness program, self-funded (with company match) and company-funded retirement plans, flexible hours in some positions and tuition reimbursement. Grow your career with us.
Marathon Oil is ranked in the Global Top 30 in Rigzone's Ideal Employer Rankings - find out more here.