Overview / Responsibilities
Wood services multiple markets including Infrastructure, Process & Energy and Mining & Minerals. Wood performs consulting and EPCM services for many local and worldwide companies and is executing world-class projects on five continents.
Wood currently has an exciting opportunity for a Senior Civil Designer. Reporting to the Civil, Structural, and Architectural Department Manager, this position is located in our Vancouver, BC office, working in our Mining & Minerals and Process & Energy businesses. In this key role, you will be responsible for the delivery of civil design and drafting services across a wide variety of industrial and mining projects. The ideal candidate will be an energetic and self-motivated professional with in-depth experience developing civil and utility construction design drawings. If you have exceptional communication and interpersonal skills, strong technical fundamentals, and thrive on challenges in a fast-paced environment, this is the opportunity for you.
- Working closely with engineers, technicians, technologists and project managers in preparation of document and drawing packages, report figures, design concepts, technical specifications and calculations
- Leading and mentoring intermediate and junior staff
- Preparing cost-effective site layouts for industrial, mining and infrastructure facilities including services and utilities, based on project specifications and requirements
- Processing the topographic data (from LiDAR, satellite, ground surveys, etc.) for use on the projects, and georeferencing the survey data
- Providing civil design and drafting support for utility and industrial facilities and services, including buried and overland piping, pumping stations, access roadways, and spill containment systems
- Preparing drawings for site development and earthworks including site preparation, general grading, final grading and surface drainage, ditches, ponds, roads, embankments, and rail spurs using AutoCAD, Microstation and Civil 3D programs, in accordance with project CAD standards
- Analyzing design issues and recommending corrective actions
- Participate in solving particularly challenging technical problems
- Preparing material take-offs
- Reviewing and coordinating project documents prior to issue for scope and presentation against project standards and specifications
- Responding to information requests from site and completing project documentation including as-builts, calculations and return of data to the client
- Managing time and tasks within allotted timelines and budgets
- Performing design changes and improvements according to changing project demands
- Providing assistance to design and construction teams
- Traveling and visiting project sites during project execution, performing field reviews and investigations to prepare engineering designs
Skills / Qualifications
- Minimum 15 years of relevant design experience relating to industrial facilities, mining, infrastructure, transmission & distribution projects, or commercial building infrastructure and utilities
- Diploma in Civil Engineering Design Technology
- Knowledge of standard drawings for mining and transportation infrastructure projects including site development, roadways, railways, buried and overland piping, water and wastewater treatment plants and pump stations, storm drainage and retention / polishing ponds
- Experience in using AutoCAD, Civil 3D and Microstation design/drafting software
- PDMS and Bentley InRoads software experience would be considered an asset.
- Understanding various coordinate systems and geodetic elevation references
- Experience with processing and modifying the topographic data for the project needs, setting up the project survey reference points, and establishing the coordinate systems for the projects
- Drafting and design experience within a consulting engineering environment
- Familiarity with storm water management systems including sewer design, runoff calculations, the sizing of ditches, culverts, and ponds, and the design of sediment control facilities
- Proficiency in the operation of GIS based applications would be an advantage
- Ability to work efficiently and effectively when managing multiple tasks
- Excellent organizational, technical, writing, communication and computer skills
- Ability to work independently and in a multi-disciplinary team environment
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 55,000 people, with revenues of over $11 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life-cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets including the upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, chemicals, environment and infrastructure, power & process, clean energy, mining and general industrial sectors. We strive to be the best technical services company to work with, work for and invest in.
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 55,000 people, with revenues of over $11 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets including upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, chemicals, environment and infrastructure, power & process, clean energy, mining, nuclear and general industrial sectors. We strive to be the best technical services company to work with, work for and invest in.
Wood is ranked among Top 30 in Rigzone's Ideal Employer Rankings. Find out more here.